Oasis

K1 Visa Process (Mexico)

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello Everyone:

I come here often and read posts and I find all the information very helpful.

I rarely post anything because I have not gotten to the stage where I have to apply for the K1 visa.

Right now I am in the process of doing my dual citizenship german/american. Not sure how long takes since I am waiting for my paperwork at the moment from germany.. I guess that could take a bit since the worldcup is on :lol:

So, I figured once that is all done I can go and apply for a K1 Visa for my other half.

Could someone give me a rundown of the papers I need to fill out. I am reading this discussion often and read peoples timetables but I am a bit confused... because of the different names and what they mean... :huh: ... for example.. NOA1, AOS, EAD, package 1 package 2 ... I am confused I guess.

I just want to figure things out now so that when my papers are thru that I am ready to send the papers for the K1 in..

Also I noticed that some countries seem slower in the visa process then others.

Are there any people on this board who's fiance is from mexico, just curious about some of the issues they been going thru and how long it takes.

Thanks everyone.... be patient and remember Love has no borders (F)

Greencard Holder since 1991

August 2006: Approved for Dual Citizenship from the German Consulate

I am officially now a Dual Citizen :)))

07.06.09 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center for Mr Brazil

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

02.23.10 Visa Interview - Rio de Janeiro-Visa denied

03.11.10 case cent back to VSC

Second Round:

04.19.10 Sent new petition to Vermont Service Center

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

10.XX.10: Decide to split with my fiance and set in a withdraw letter to VSC

10.25.10: NOA2 - to my surprise but it does not matter anymore

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Welcome, my fiancee will also be going through Mexico which means she will have to go through the Ciudad Juarez consulate (the only one that does fiancee Visas in Mexico). Here is a link: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/wwwhivfi.html

Juarez is unique in that there is no interview "appointment" for fiancee Visas. Once your petition is approved and you are notified by the consulate, you are permitted to come to the consulate for the interview.

This is how I got started with this site, go to the top of the Visa Journey home page and click on the FAQ and guides tabs, they are very helpful. I know it can be overwhelming, but once you absorb some of this info you will have a better idea of what to do.

There is a regional forum also devoted to Latin America, but I have learned much more from the forum that we are using now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your best bet is to start by reading the guides above in the links. This will give you a good understanding of the process.

It's a 2 part process - first the processing of the I-129F petition in the US. You should plan on this taking 6 months from beginning to end although hopefully it will be much faster by the time you apply.

Once the petition is approved it will go to the National Visa Center and from there to Ciudad Juarez in Mexico. They will send out the Fiance Visa packet to your fiance in Mexico and there will be a list of additional papers both of you will need to provide. Her interview will be held in Ciudad Juarez - this is the only consulate in Mexico that processes fiance visas.

The good news about Ciudad Juarez is that you do not need to wait for an appointment for the interview - see the fiance packet information from CDJ to get a better understanding of this part: http://usembassy.state.gov/CiudadJuarez/wwwfcdj400.

Hope this helps.

now I see Lewis beat me to it!!!!

Timeline

Everyone here is so helpful, I really appreciate it. I know my papers will take some time :( because of my dual citizen situation for myself ( i am german but live in the US ) but hopefully it will not be that long. In the meantime I will study the forums so I understand it better. Its difficult sometimes because there is just so much paperwork and the waiting seems to be forever.. I just want to cry sometimes :crying:

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

Timeline
Everyone here is so helpful, I really appreciate it. I know my papers will take some time :( because of my dual citizen situation for myself ( i am german but live in the US ) but hopefully it will not be that long. In the meantime I will study the forums so I understand it better. Its difficult sometimes because there is just so much paperwork and the waiting seems to be forever.. I just want to cry sometimes :crying:

Oasis,

Don't worry. In reality it's a very easy process.Your dual citizenship should not create additional problems or delays. It simply involves gathering a lot of paperwork, filling out several forms and providing a lot of information on your relationship and finances. Once you send off the petition, you wait. It normally is not a neverending process, it's just that we hit a big glitch with the new IMBRA law. When you file, you will use the new form and should not have any problems. Once approved, it gets sent to Mexico and you will need to send your fiance more paperwork. She will get a medical exam, take all of the stuff to the interview, and get her visa.

USCIS in the US and Mexico are not very helpful people. But everyone here will answer your questions - we've all had them.

Here's another place to read about the process:http://www.ins-fiance-visa.com/ins-fiance-visa-process1.html

Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

check out this thread for a lot of info on mexico: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87

good luck! :thumbs:

SEE K-1 HISTORY IN MY TIMELINE

AOS / EAD / AP TIMELINE:

06/30/2006 - I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent to Chicago (via USPS Priority mail) (DAY 1)

07/02/2006 - package received in Chicago (delivery confirmed via USPS)

07/06/2006 - NOA 1 (DAY 7)

07/12/2006 - biometric appointment notice (DAY 13)

07/14/2006 - received biometric appointment notice via mail

07/25/2006 - interview notice (DAY 26)

07/26/2006 - biometrics taken (DAY 27)

07/28/2006 - received interview notice via mail

09/07/2006 - I-485 interview...APPROVED!!!...passport stamped (DAY 70)

09/12/2006 - I-131 approved (DAY 75)

09/13/2006 - received welcome letter via mail

09/15/2006 - I-765 approved (DAY 78)

09/16/2006 - received AP via mail

09/18/2006 - received conditional green card via mail

09/21/2006 - received EAD via mail

07/23/2008 - filed I-751 to lift conditional status

07/28/2008 - NOA 1

08/26/2008 - biometric appointment

12/03/2008 - I-751 approved

12/08/2008 - received 10-year green card via mail

09/07/2009 - eligible for U.S. citizenship!

flag13.gif

flag12.gif

Timeline
check out this thread for a lot of info on mexico: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87

Gosh you two are cute - I wish you could post more photos!

Can you please keep us posted on the timing of your AOS, especially the EAD?

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Gosh you two are cute - I wish you could post more photos!

Can you please keep us posted on the timing of your AOS, especially the EAD?

Thanks

:blush: Thanks Kitkat. I will try to post some more photos! We'll keep you updated. We are just waiting for Sofia to another round of vaccinations in a couple of weeks and then we'll be sending in our packet.

SEE K-1 HISTORY IN MY TIMELINE

AOS / EAD / AP TIMELINE:

06/30/2006 - I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent to Chicago (via USPS Priority mail) (DAY 1)

07/02/2006 - package received in Chicago (delivery confirmed via USPS)

07/06/2006 - NOA 1 (DAY 7)

07/12/2006 - biometric appointment notice (DAY 13)

07/14/2006 - received biometric appointment notice via mail

07/25/2006 - interview notice (DAY 26)

07/26/2006 - biometrics taken (DAY 27)

07/28/2006 - received interview notice via mail

09/07/2006 - I-485 interview...APPROVED!!!...passport stamped (DAY 70)

09/12/2006 - I-131 approved (DAY 75)

09/13/2006 - received welcome letter via mail

09/15/2006 - I-765 approved (DAY 78)

09/16/2006 - received AP via mail

09/18/2006 - received conditional green card via mail

09/21/2006 - received EAD via mail

07/23/2008 - filed I-751 to lift conditional status

07/28/2008 - NOA 1

08/26/2008 - biometric appointment

12/03/2008 - I-751 approved

12/08/2008 - received 10-year green card via mail

09/07/2009 - eligible for U.S. citizenship!

flag13.gif

flag12.gif

Timeline

Thanks everyone, I will have to read all these postings when I get home.

I think my biggest worry right now are my papers for my dual citizenship, but hopefully it will get approved.

Its just that they are so so so slow. Well in the meantime I just have to fly back to Acapulco again ! to visit my love. :D

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

Timeline
Welcome, my fiancee will also be going through Mexico which means she will have to go through the Ciudad Juarez consulate (the only one that does fiancee Visas in Mexico). Here is a link: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/wwwhivfi.html

Juarez is unique in that there is no interview "appointment" for fiancee Visas. Once your petition is approved and you are notified by the consulate, you are permitted to come to the consulate for the interview.

This is how I got started with this site, go to the top of the Visa Journey home page and click on the FAQ and guides tabs, they are very helpful. I know it can be overwhelming, but once you absorb some of this info you will have a better idea of what to do.

There is a regional forum also devoted to Latin America, but I have learned much more from the forum that we are using now.

THANK YOU! My Fiance is in Mexico City and I assumed he would have to go through there, but now I understand he will go through Ciudad Juarez.

Does this mean on the I129 form for question 20. when it says at whcih embassy will your fiance apply for a visa do I put Ciudad Juarez and not Mexico City?

Sorry if this seems elementary, but I'm still learning.

Thanks in advance!

Timeline
THANK YOU! My Fiance is in Mexico City and I assumed he would have to go through there, but now I understand he will go through Ciudad Juarez. Does this mean on the I129 form for question 20. when it says at whcih embassy will your fiance apply for a visa do I put Ciudad Juarez and not Mexico City?

You're right - Ciudad Juarez is the only consulate that processes K1 petition which is so unfortunate for those of us with fiances in Mexico City - it sure would have made the interview stuff a lot easier. So on question 20 put Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

But the good news is he won't have to wait for a specific interview appointment date. Once his case has arrived there and he has received packet 3 from the consulate along with any additional necessary papers from you, he can go M-F from 8-10am. Check out the link for more information about the fiance packet as well as other information like medical exam info. http://usembassy.state.gov/CiudadJuarez/wwwfcdj400.

Other random things - no police certificate is required for Mexico and you can pay the visa appointment fee of $100 in advance at any Banamex (which saves a bit of time). Just be sure he keeps the receipt to show at the interview. Oh and by the way, you don't need to waste your time going to the interview - no fiances allowed in the interview or consulate these days. Good luck.

Timeline

My fiance and I will head to Juarez for his interview later this summer (at this point I'm still thinking I'm going to go for moral support!) Just curious if any advice/hints on getting plane tickets for the Mexican fiancee. My fiance lives in Guanajuato but will probably fly from Guadalajara since it's much cheaper. When I search here for his ticket everything is like more than $500. Any tips? Mil gracias.

Naturalization (N-400)

5/17/2010 application sent to Texas Lockbox

5/20/2010 check cashed

5/25/2010 NOA

6/07/2010 biometrics letter received

6/16/2010 biometrics appointment

Timeline
My fiance and I will head to Juarez for his interview later this summer (at this point I'm still thinking I'm going to go for moral support!) Just curious if any advice/hints on getting plane tickets for the Mexican fiancee. My fiance lives in Guanajuato but will probably fly from Guadalajara since it's much cheaper. When I search here for his ticket everything is like more than $500. Any tips? Mil gracias.

We got a roundtrip flight from Guadalajara to Ciudad Juarez for around $503.00, I'm going down to meet her in about a week. I always have good luck with sites like expedia and travelocity, and yes, it is probably a good idea to leave from Guadalajara.

Timeline

THANK YOU! This info. is really helpful! I'm so frustrated that I wonder if we should just wait and pray they pass a new immigration bill......

THANK YOU! My Fiance is in Mexico City and I assumed he would have to go through there, but now I understand he will go through Ciudad Juarez. Does this mean on the I129 form for question 20. when it says at whcih embassy will your fiance apply for a visa do I put Ciudad Juarez and not Mexico City?

You're right - Ciudad Juarez is the only consulate that processes K1 petition which is so unfortunate for those of us with fiances in Mexico City - it sure would have made the interview stuff a lot easier. So on question 20 put Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

But the good news is he won't have to wait for a specific interview appointment date. Once his case has arrived there and he has received packet 3 from the consulate along with any additional necessary papers from you, he can go M-F from 8-10am. Check out the link for more information about the fiance packet as well as other information like medical exam info. http://usembassy.state.gov/CiudadJuarez/wwwfcdj400.

Other random things - no police certificate is required for Mexico and you can pay the visa appointment fee of $100 in advance at any Banamex (which saves a bit of time). Just be sure he keeps the receipt to show at the interview. Oh and by the way, you don't need to waste your time going to the interview - no fiances allowed in the interview or consulate these days. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.