slim

Russian Customer Service

65 posts in this topic

So this weekend I warmed up all my chicken wings, plopped down on the couch and watched the movie Transsiberian. Entertaining movie, but nothing special. There was a scene in it where Woody Harrelson and his wife are on the train and the toilet is broken. The wife is trying to explain to the woman that works in thier car that the toilet doesn't work and Woody says, "I'll handle this, dear."

He does his best to explain to the woman what's going on when she pushes him aside, bursts into this boistrous tirade and starts filling a cup with hot water. There's no subtitles during her rant because it's clear what she's trying to get across but having been on the receiving end of one of these verbal lashings, I immediately felt a connection to this movie and now have a pretty good visualization for everyone on what being married to a Russian woman is like.

As an American man, it's logical to ask an employee for assistance concerning something that she should be able to take care of, even if it means she doesn't do it herself but contacts the person who could do it.

As a Russian woman, how dare he ask her about the toilet! Her job is the tea water. Everyone knows she is there ONLY to get hot water to make tea. Everyone can see she's wearing a hot water for tea woman uniform. Why would she wear that uniform if that wasn't her job? For her amusement? What a stupid man! Her job is the hot water for tea. THAT'S IT! She's not the #!@# toilet person! How could he even imagine that she's the toilet person. Stupid man! She is there only to get hot water fo...... STUPID MAN!!! I DON'T WORK TOILET I WORK>>>>>>>>>>> STUPID MAN!!!!!!! Man must fix toilet! Woman never will fix, especially not hot water for tea WEARING THIS UNIFORM that everyone can see woman, will not fix toilet. Toilet is not hot water woman's job. Toilet is man's job. How dare he even ask about, I can't believe he AAAAAGGGH! DURAK!!!!!!!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had seen this movie and if you were "impressed" with the realism conveyed by the characters in "customer service" positions.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

heheh havent seen it yet but saw the trailer. Yo know though i personally would not ask the tea lady to fix my toilet either. So it may jsut be personal more so than cultural

So this weekend I warmed up all my chicken wings, plopped down on the couch and watched the movie Transsiberian. Entertaining movie, but nothing special. There was a scene in it where Woody Harrelson and his wife are on the train and the toilet is broken. The wife is trying to explain to the woman that works in thier car that the toilet doesn't work and Woody says, "I'll handle this, dear."

He does his best to explain to the woman what's going on when she pushes him aside, bursts into this boistrous tirade and starts filling a cup with hot water. There's no subtitles during her rant because it's clear what she's trying to get across but having been on the receiving end of one of these verbal lashings, I immediately felt a connection to this movie and now have a pretty good visualization for everyone on what being married to a Russian woman is like.

As an American man, it's logical to ask an employee for assistance concerning something that she should be able to take care of, even if it means she doesn't do it herself but contacts the person who could do it.

As a Russian woman, how dare he ask her about the toilet! Her job is the tea water. Everyone knows she is there ONLY to get hot water to make tea. Everyone can see she's wearing a hot water for tea woman uniform. Why would she wear that uniform if that wasn't her job? For her amusement? What a stupid man! Her job is the hot water for tea. THAT'S IT! She's not the #!@# toilet person! How could he even imagine that she's the toilet person. Stupid man! She is there only to get hot water fo...... STUPID MAN!!! I DON'T WORK TOILET I WORK>>>>>>>>>>> STUPID MAN!!!!!!! Man must fix toilet! Woman never will fix, especially not hot water for tea WEARING THIS UNIFORM that everyone can see woman, will not fix toilet. Toilet is not hot water woman's job. Toilet is man's job. How dare he even ask about, I can't believe he AAAAAGGGH! DURAK!!!!!!!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had seen this movie and if you were "impressed" with the realism conveyed by the characters in "customer service" positions.

Filed: Timeline

I liked this movie a lot, actually. Emily Mortimer, the female lead, is one of my favorite actresses and highly underrated. What's funny about this movie is that Mortimer actually speaks fluent Russian in real life, and yet doesn't speak a word of it in this movie. The scene you mention, Slim, is definitely a slice of real Russian life. How dare you ask the tea-serving lady to even think about the broken toilet as if it's somehow her responsibility, now take your goddamned tea and shut your pirog-hole! And of course Russian service workers can see a clueless American coming from a mile away, which makes the scene even funnier. :) I think they could have done a little more with this movie, but overall I thought it was pretty good. Both leads are fantastic--Woody Harrelson is hysterical as the bumbling tourist who just seems to make friends wherever he goes, despite the utter lack of subtlety you normally need to get along as a tourist in Russia.

I think the weakest parts of the movie were a few plot elements (seriously, how could anyone be surprised about the matryoshka dolls? Any customs agent in the world would have nailed him), and the end was kind of unsatisfying. Otherwise it was a pretty solid film. Well worth watching for the cinematography alone.

I liked this movie a lot, actually. Emily Mortimer, the female lead, is one of my favorite actresses and highly underrated. What's funny about this movie is that Mortimer actually speaks fluent Russian in real life, and yet doesn't speak a word of it in this movie. The scene you mention, Slim, is definitely a slice of real Russian life. How dare you ask the tea-serving lady to even think about the broken toilet as if it's somehow her responsibility, now take your goddamned tea and shut your pirog-hole! And of course Russian service workers can see a clueless American coming from a mile away, which makes the scene even funnier. :) I think they could have done a little more with this movie, but overall I thought it was pretty good. Both leads are fantastic--Woody Harrelson is hysterical as the bumbling tourist who just seems to make friends wherever he goes, despite the utter lack of subtlety you normally need to get along as a tourist in Russia.

I think the weakest parts of the movie were a few plot elements (seriously, how could anyone be surprised about the matryoshka dolls? Any customs agent in the world would have nailed him), and the end was kind of unsatisfying. Otherwise it was a pretty solid film. Well worth watching for the cinematography alone.

Amazing, I asked Vika about watching this movie today. I had no idea that Emily Mortimer actually spoke Russian, assuming Tow Brothers and a Wife was all coached. Interesting (the movie too).

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Otherwise it was a pretty solid film. Well worth watching for the cinematography alone.

Yeah, you have to watch it because it's on the "Russia" list, and I agree, the actors were all very good. But, like so many other movies being released today, this is an OK movie with good acting to carry along a lousy plot.

I haven't seen Two Brothers and a Wife, but I'll add that to the list.

Now, since we're on the subject, if you want to see a GREAT movie with GREAT actors, go see Defiance. So far, it's Slim's movie of the year.

It's also on the "Russia" list and includes plenty of Russian dialogue for you geniuses (or is it geniusi?) to study up on. And do me a favor, if/when you go see this movie, ask yourself if something like that could ever happen in America and why or why not. Then come on back here and we'll debate the finer points of Nazi aggression and the pre-requisites of genocide. After that, we'll have a nice chat about H.R.45. And then, finally, if you're still game, we'll talk about how you can ensure it'll never, ever happen here in the U.S.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Otherwise it was a pretty solid film. Well worth watching for the cinematography alone.

Yeah, you have to watch it because it's on the "Russia" list, and I agree, the actors were all very good. But, like so many other movies being released today, this is an OK movie with good acting to carry along a lousy plot.

Now, since we're on the subject, if you want to see a GREAT movie with GREAT actors, go see Defiance. So far, it's Slim's movie of the year.

It's also on the "Russia" list and includes plenty of Russian dialogue for you geniuses (or is it geniusi?) to study up on. And do me a favor, if/when you go see this movie, ask yourself if something like that could ever happen in America and why or why not. Then come on back here and we'll debate the finer points of Nazi aggression and the pre-requisites of genocide. After that, we'll have a nice chat about H.R.45. And then, finally, if you're still game, we'll talk about how you can ensure it'll never, ever happen here in the U.S.

Defiance was great as a movie!. Whiel it great altered historical accuracies it was still at its heart accurate. I did not like how distanced they made the red army soldiers as they were not that way in that instance. but the movie rocked! But i tend to love all Zwick movies ...

I watched RocknRolla last night (guy ritchie) and of course it had the wonderfully typical British cinema russians in it. You know gangsters, ruthless, downright obstanant. hahah

You guys ever see Devyatnaya Rota? or Zvezda? Newer Russian war movies that are actually pretty good.

Don't expect anything great, but it does have its moments, and of course it's on "the list."

Haven't seen it yet, I definitely want to.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would like to see it just because I have spent plenty of time on Russian trains, and I think I could relate. I don't care if the movie is good or bad.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I haven't seen Two Brothers and a Wife, but I'll add that to the list. The name of the movie is actually Two Brothers and a Bride and is also known as A Foreign Affair because part of it was filmed using a www.aforeignaffair.com tour party.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

The name of the movie is actually Two Brothers and a Bride and is also known as A Foreign Affair because part of it was filmed using a www.aforeignaffair.com tour party.

Ah yeah. There's even a "A Foreign Affair" infomercial on the DVD, and at first you might think it's one of those bonus spoof extras, but no, this is an actual commercial for the website, who offer real "marriage tours." A Foreign Affair were no doubt major financial backers of the movie. It just adds to the general "weirdness" of the movie. What else makes the movie a little strange and unique is that it was filmed during an actual tour, and many of the extras are real tourers and bride wannabes.

There used to be a Wikipedia page for the movie, but it's been inexplicably deleted. Huh.

I watched RocknRolla last night (guy ritchie) and of course it had the wonderfully typical British cinema russians in it. You know gangsters, ruthless, downright obstanant. hahah

"Well, to be quite technical he's an Uzbekistanian." "Sneaky f'king Russians."

You guys ever see Devyatnaya Rota? or Zvezda? Newer Russian war movies that are actually pretty good.

I saw 9 Rota, pretty good flick all the way up to the cheesy last battle where the mujahids are "walking" up the hill toward the base through an @$$load of fire and the dude in the aviator lenses is just playing it cool all the way to the end. Other than that though, very good movie and beautifully done.

I haven't seen Zvezda. Seems like it would be pretty good though. Next time I'm at the Russian bootleg spot I'll see if they have a copy.

A good Russian war flick was Svolochi. I couldn't help but feel like I was watching the Dirty Dozen, but it was good all the same. There's a really horrible flick out there, I forget the name, but it was made by some woman director and takes place in Grozny. Purgatory, that's the name of it. This movie was so horrible I actually fell asleep several times while watching it. (Fell asleep during a war flick... sacrilege!) Every time I woke up there was a tank about to run someone over. Then I'd fall asleep again, the tank would wake me up. Break that up with some female snipers sitting around smoking. Wow. Very interesting. If I wanted to see chicks in a war movie I'd watch Full Metal Jacket. "Me so horny." I realize there are a lot of women combat troops in that part of the world, but when I watch movies and see 55kg. women kicking butt (like, say, Doomsday) I have to call Bull$#!t. Put 'em behind a Dragunov, sure, they're combat effective. But, hand to hand against Asim, and they're going to get beat down.

(Still carrying over from mox's earlier post about our old friends coming by to visit.)

Not really a war flick, but Okhota na piranyu (Piranha hunter) was the best Russian movie I've seen yet. Countdown movie was allright to watch, but nowhere near as good as Pirhana hunter. The Day/Night Watch series is entertaining if you're into that sort of movie.

Anyone else seen any good Russian action flicks?

Русский форум член.

It is Two Brothers and a Bride. Vika thought it was a scream :D The guys seemed to represent the stereotypes that Ukrainian women who go to those things are afraid of. When I told her that some of the cast members (the bit parts) were supposedly clients of AFA, she was not surprised.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

In keeping with the current theme of the thread, has anyone seen the British <fingerquotes>documentary</fingerquotes> Diary of a Mailorder Bride?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7293098886160262479 [part 1]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=13...82239&hl=en [part 2]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=87...67855&hl=en [part 3]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...13267&hl=en [part 4]

It's actually fairer than most of these types of so-called documentaries, as only 2 of the 3 men are depicted as total losers. And Slim...you have relatives in Texas? :lol:

"Well, to be quite technical he's an Uzbekistanian." "Sneaky f'king Russians."

I saw 9 Rota, pretty good flick all the way up to the cheesy last battle where the mujahids are "walking" up the hill toward the base through an @$$load of fire and the dude in the aviator lenses is just playing it cool all the way to the end. Other than that though, very good movie and beautifully done.

I haven't seen Zvezda. Seems like it would be pretty good though. Next time I'm at the Russian bootleg spot I'll see if they have a copy.

A good Russian war flick was Svolochi. I couldn't help but feel like I was watching the Dirty Dozen, but it was good all the same. There's a really horrible flick out there, I forget the name, but it was made by some woman director and takes place in Grozny. Purgatory, that's the name of it. This movie was so horrible I actually fell asleep several times while watching it. (Fell asleep during a war flick... sacrilege!) Every time I woke up there was a tank about to run someone over. Then I'd fall asleep again, the tank would wake me up. Break that up with some female snipers sitting around smoking. Wow. Very interesting. If I wanted to see chicks in a war movie I'd watch Full Metal Jacket. "Me so horny." I realize there are a lot of women combat troops in that part of the world, but when I watch movies and see 55kg. women kicking butt (like, say, Doomsday) I have to call Bull$#!t. Put 'em behind a Dragunov, sure, they're combat effective. But, hand to hand against Asim, and they're going to get beat down.

(Still carrying over from mox's earlier post about our old friends coming by to visit.)

Not really a war flick, but Okhota na piranyu (Piranha hunter) was the best Russian movie I've seen yet. Countdown movie was allright to watch, but nowhere near as good as Pirhana hunter. The Day/Night Watch series is entertaining if you're into that sort of movie.

Anyone else seen any good Russian action flicks?

Thanks Slim - I am compiling a list for the next trip to the магазин.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.