antda

I-751: NOA1 extension letter confusion...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

On the NOA1 extension letter, it says "Your conditonal resident status is extended for a period of one year."

But does this mean one year as of the notice date (8/22/08), or does it mean one year as of the date of when my 2yr green card expires (11/14/08). In other words, am I extended until 8/22/09 or am I extended until 11/14/09? And yes, 3 months does make a difference...

Lol...I'm probably re-reading too much into this and am getting even more confused....Help!

Any thoughts, ideas, and clarifications appreciated. Thanks.

Ant (Confused, still waiting at the VSC...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

P.S. I almost forgot to ask: Do I have to notify social security, the dmv, or other government agencies, or non-government agencies about this one year extension on my conditional resident status? Or do I just notify them next time about a change in immigration status when I become a US Citizen? Thanks.

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you use the letter in conjunction with your green card, it is one year from the date on your green card.

No, you don't need to notify Social Security until you have a change in your status - receive the 10 year card. (I checked myself and that is what the Social Security office told me).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hi Kathryn41,

Thanks for yet another helpful reply (yes, you've been giving a lot of those on VJ, which is good).

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that it would be from the date of the expired green card, as like you said, it's used in conjunction together with it. Also, it would be consistent, as people file on different days during that 90 day filing period, for example, one person could file on day 90 (I filed on day 88), and one person could file last minute on day 1 on the day their card expires. The only fair and less confusing thing to do is to extend it from the date of the expired green card. So it looks like I've gained an extra 3 months (lol...for a moment there I thought I lost it), and after the green card expires in November, I'll be carrying around a photocopy of that letter with it. Guess I read too much into it, and thought the extension letter expired in August. I shouldn't overthink things like that, really, especially if it's written right in front of me on the letter (though they should clarify that a bit more, as I wonder if anyone else has made the same mistake too)...

Good thing to know too, that I don't have to notify a change in status until the 10yr card. One less trip out-of-town to the social security office and elsewhere is a relief. Did they give you any problems when you asked them about it? Thanks for that info.

Ant (Gained 3 months that I never really lost, reading too much, still waiting...)

Since you use the letter in conjunction with your green card, it is one year from the date on your green card.

No, you don't need to notify Social Security until you have a change in your status - receive the 10 year card. (I checked myself and that is what the Social Security office told me).

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Its definitely from the date on the green card. I had an immigration officer tell me this just last week when we got back from vacation. ;)

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Hi Collie,

Hope you had a fun vacation recently. Yes, it's good too, that you got confirmation directly from the immigration officials about the extension letter date. Did you have any other problems too, getting back from vacation with that letter?

Ant (Still waiting for the VSC...)

Its definitely from the date on the green card. I had an immigration officer tell me this just last week when we got back from vacation. ;)

Filed: Timeline

Why would you need to tell Social Security when you get a 10 yr green card. I would have thought that there's no difference to them if you're a 2yr green card holder or 10yr green card holder. They both have the same rights to work and be paid etc etc.

The only time you'd have to tell them would be when adjusting status from a non-resident to a resident.

Hi AussieDude,

Well, there is sort of a difference, as the expiry dates on them are different. Sure both give one the right to work and travel, but the question is for how long one can legally do so and not getting in trouble for not reporting and updating them about the change from a 2yr to a 10yr card. Oh well, now that I got that sorted out, I don't have to worry about that. After all, a permanent resident is a premanent resident, regardless of if it is conditional or not, so it doesn't matter as I don't have to report this minor change after all.

I do though, have to tell them when I get US Citizenship, as that makes a difference in status and in other things....

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC)

Why would you need to tell Social Security when you get a 10 yr green card. I would have thought that there's no difference to them if you're a 2yr green card holder or 10yr green card holder. They both have the same rights to work and be paid etc etc.

The only time you'd have to tell them would be when adjusting status from a non-resident to a resident.

Edited by AntandD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.