Terri and Seb

Quick question about cosponsors (I-134, I-864)

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

Our check was cashed and we received our NOA1 a few days ago (!!!) so now we're starting to think about the other paperwork we'll eventually need. Since I'm a full time student and thus have little income, we're asking a relative to be our cosponsor for both the I-134 and (way down the road) the I-864. She makes well over 50K a year and has a lot of savings, owns a bit of real estate, has stocks, etc., but is still very hesitant to give out her full financial profile. I've read all the guides and example forms, but I just wanted to verify a few things.

On the example I-134 form, the sponsor entered their annual income as well as their mortgage amount but left the more detailed information (stocks/bonds, other assets) blank. If my cosponsor exceeds the poverty guidelines, she doesn't have to fill out ANY other monetary questions aside from her annual income, nor does she need to supply letters from her bank detailing how much is in her account, etc., right? I'm under the impression that all that is required of her is:

-the completed, notarized I-134 form (listing only her annual income in the financial section)

-a notarized copy of her tax return and/or W2s for the past year

-copies of her tax returns for the past 3 years

-a letter from her employer stating her position and salary

- a notarized copy of her birth certificate or passport to establish U.S. citizenship

And roughly the same information for the I-864. For her peace of mind, I just want to make sure she doesn't have to include any other personal information aside from her tax returns, birth certificate and a letter from her employer from now until the adjustment of status papers are filed.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Terri and Seb

Timeline:

K-1

07/30/08- I-129F was delivered to Vermont

08/11/08- NOA1

12/14/08- NOA2

02/11/09 Interview (Approved!)

03/07/09 POE at JFK

03/13/09 Married!

AOS

04/08/09- NOA1 for AOS and EAD (we didn't apply for AP)

04/22/09- Case Transferred to CSC

04/24/09- Biometrics Appointment

05/22/09- EAD card production ordered

05/29/09- EAD approval notice sent

06/01/09- EAD arrived in the post

06/18/09- I-485 RFE notice via email

06/25/09- I-485 RFE notice via mail

(They wanted him to redo medical exam- they must've lost it. They also wanted a copy of our marriage certificate, even though we included that in our original submission.)

07/03/09- Medical exam (second one this year grrr!)

07/06/09- I-485 RFE response mailed back to CSC via USPS

07/08/09- I-485 RFE response package delivered at CSC

07/10/09- I-485 Case Processing Resumed (CRIS email)

07/16/09- I-485 Card Production Ordered

07/21/09- I-485 Approval Notice Sent

07/24/09- Green card received in the post!

metrom.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One thing about I-134, the directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.
My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

Only thing needing to be notarized is the I-134 form.

Note: If co sponsor is US citizen by birth, then no prof of citizenship is required.

If you are not a native born U.S. citizen, answer the following as appropriate:

a. If a U.S.citizen through naturalization, give certificate of naturalization number

b. If a U.S. citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give citizenship certificate number

c. If U.S. citizenship was derived by some other method, attach a statement of explanation.

d. If a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States, give "A" number

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-134.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello,

Our check was cashed and we received our NOA1 a few days ago (!!!) so now we're starting to think about the other paperwork we'll eventually need. Since I'm a full time student and thus have little income, we're asking a relative to be our cosponsor for both the I-134 and (way down the road) the I-864. She makes well over 50K a year and has a lot of savings, owns a bit of real estate, has stocks, etc., but is still very hesitant to give out her full financial profile. I've read all the guides and example forms, but I just wanted to verify a few things.

On the example I-134 form, the sponsor entered their annual income as well as their mortgage amount but left the more detailed information (stocks/bonds, other assets) blank. If my cosponsor exceeds the poverty guidelines, she doesn't have to fill out ANY other monetary questions aside from her annual income, nor does she need to supply letters from her bank detailing how much is in her account, etc., right? I'm under the impression that all that is required of her is:

-the completed, notarized I-134 form (listing only her annual income in the financial section)

-a notarized copy of her tax return and/or W2s for the past year

-copies of her tax returns for the past 3 years

-a letter from her employer stating her position and salary

- a notarized copy of her birth certificate or passport to establish U.S. citizenship

And roughly the same information for the I-864. For her peace of mind, I just want to make sure she doesn't have to include any other personal information aside from her tax returns, birth certificate and a letter from her employer from now until the adjustment of status papers are filed.

Thanks in advance!

If income is sufficient, all questions about assets can simply be left blank.

The only thing notarized is the I-134, not tax returns, birth certificate or passport.

A "tax return" includes everything mailed to the IRS or what would have been mailed if not efiled. There is no "or" as to W2 etc. The "or" would be that you can supply complete tax return including all schedules, W2's and 1099's etc. "or" IRS transcripts.

Employer letter is optional. For the UK, I'd skip the letter and throw in a copy of a pay stub or two.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thank you so much for all the quick responses! Visajourney has been SO incredibly helpful through all of this.

YuAndDan, the I-864 checklist says

"If you are a joint sponsor, substitute sponsor, or the relative of an employment-based immigrant requiring an affidavit of support, include proof of your citizenship status, U.S. national status or lawful permanent resident status. For U.S. nationals, a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization or citizenship."

Maybe they don't need it for the I-134? Either way, it can't hurt to include it. Thanks for clearing up the tax information, too. If she just requests simple tax transcripts for the past 3 years, a letter from her employer and a few paystubs, we'll be all set.

I'm really glad she doesn't have to divulge much more than that! :)

Timeline:

K-1

08/11/08- NOA1

12/14/08- NOA2

03/07/09 POE at JFK

03/13/09 Married!

AOS

(They wanted him to redo medical exam- they must've lost it. They also wanted a copy of our marriage certificate, even though we included that in our original submission.)

metrom.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Thank you so much for all the quick responses! Visajourney has been SO incredibly helpful through all of this.

YuAndDan, the I-864 checklist says

"If you are a joint sponsor, substitute sponsor, or the relative of an employment-based immigrant requiring an affidavit of support, include proof of your citizenship status, U.S. national status or lawful permanent resident status. For U.S. nationals, a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization or citizenship."

Maybe they don't need it for the I-134? Either way, it can't hurt to include it. Thanks for clearing up the tax information, too. If she just requests simple tax transcripts for the past 3 years, a letter from her employer and a few paystubs, we'll be all set.

Keep in mind I-864 is for immigrants, and is needed later in the process for K-Visa, it is needed in the USA when adjusting status, I-864 has different requirements than I-134.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

She doesn't have to divulge anything to you and your fiance if she's uncomfortable. London tells you that sponsors can mail the I-134 and supporting evidence directly to the embassy but should clearly state the beneficiary name and case number so it gets in the proper file. Or others have sealed their information and put, "to be opened only by US Consulate official."

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

She doesn't have to divulge anything to you and your fiance if she's uncomfortable. London tells you that sponsors can mail the I-134 and supporting evidence directly to the embassy but should clearly state the beneficiary name and case number so it gets in the proper file. Or others have sealed their information and put, "to be opened only by US Consulate official."

Hello, I am slipping into the discussion with an off-topic item. I just want to highly recommend the advice given by Nich-Nick. This woman is "on the mark" and has been a great resource of information to many of us. I also learned more by reading this thread, so I just wanted to thank Nich-Nick (as well as all others who contributed to this thread) and thank the OP for allowing me to interject.

Stevi

Edited by stevi1123

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Thanks! I did see that on the embassy's website a few weeks ago and I just gave my cosponsor a big envelope along with all of the I-134 paperwork as well as a printout of London's requirements so she can seal everything up when the time comes. It certainly comforted her.

That just about settles all of my questions. Thanks to everyone who answered for the links and clarifications. :) Now it's just a bunch of reading and waiting...

Timeline:

K-1

08/11/08- NOA1

12/14/08- NOA2

03/07/09 POE at JFK

03/13/09 Married!

AOS

metrom.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.