Unruly Gal

Are we wasting our time?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi all --

I'm new to the board, but I've enjoyed lurking through the site for a while. I have a quick question ...

My boyfriend and I aren't ready to take the big jump over the broom yet and file for the fiance visa -- we want to take a little more time to get to know each other. Although I love Jamaica and love visiting, our relationship feels so one sided. I know his family and his way of life, but he has only a little clue about mine. I would love for him to visit the states when he has an upcoming break from work and get a chance to experience my life a little. I day dream about the things we would do here in the states -- from as simple as going to my favorite park to hang out for an afternoon to taking a few road trips to visit other cities.

So, we filed for a nonimmigrant visa, but have yet to be able to schedule an interview date. I check the site everyday (3 to 4 times a day sometimes), but all the appts. are booked up until the end of July and you can't make any appointments from August on. I'm so frustrated about this process -- when I called the Embassy they couldn't give me a direct answer about the process (e.g., when do they typically open dates?, can I get on a waitlist for an interview date so I wouldn't have to check/stalk the website everyday?, why it takes so long to get a visa in black/brown countries, but white countries it is as simple as pie? [i may have been wrong for that question, but I was frustrated], etc.)... arghhhh! :angry: :angry: :angry::crying:

So my question is are we wasting our time trying to go the nonimmigrant visa route as an attempt for us to spend some time together as a normal couple?! Has anyone else on the forum had any luck in getting a nonimmigrant (tourist) visa approved? Any help/assistance/insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Unruly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Not being able to visit here is something most of us accept when our SO is in a 3rd world country. ( yes most of them are brown/black) If you have been able to visit several times you are luckier than some. There are a significant number of people here that are engaged or married to a person that they probably won't see until the visa is approved even if the process takes over a year. There isn't much fair about this process , the time differences between centers, the ease of which the people in Canada and the UK get to see each other while waiting. It is what it is . Being in a relationship makes it harder to get a visitors visa because now they will believe that you are trying to get him here to marry without using a K visa.

Sorry

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Hi all --

I'm new to the board, but I've enjoyed lurking through the site for a while. I have a quick question ...

My boyfriend and I aren't ready to take the big jump over the broom yet and file for the fiance visa -- we want to take a little more time to get to know each other. Although I love Jamaica and love visiting, our relationship feels so one sided. I know his family and his way of life, but he has only a little clue about mine. I would love for him to visit the states when he has an upcoming break from work and get a chance to experience my life a little. I day dream about the things we would do here in the states -- from as simple as going to my favorite park to hang out for an afternoon to taking a few road trips to visit other cities.

So, we filed for a nonimmigrant visa, but have yet to be able to schedule an interview date. I check the site everyday (3 to 4 times a day sometimes), but all the appts. are booked up until the end of July and you can't make any appointments from August on. I'm so frustrated about this process -- when I called the Embassy they couldn't give me a direct answer about the process (e.g., when do they typically open dates?, can I get on a waitlist for an interview date so I wouldn't have to check/stalk the website everyday?, why it takes so long to get a visa in black/brown countries, but white countries it is as simple as pie? [i may have been wrong for that question, but I was frustrated], etc.)... arghhhh! :angry: :angry: :angry::crying:

So my question is are we wasting our time trying to go the nonimmigrant visa route as an attempt for us to spend some time together as a normal couple?! Has anyone else on the forum had any luck in getting a nonimmigrant (tourist) visa approved? Any help/assistance/insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Unruly

The Jamaican will have to prove such strong tie to Jamaica (he own a business, Family obligations etc) before they might give him a visitor visa. I wish you and your friemd good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi all --

Thanks.

Unruly

I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing ordeal. Unfortunately, your calls to the Embassy will probably be a detriment to your boyfriend's petition, as well as your desire to petition for him at a later date. Tourist visas are very hard to get in Jamaica, and will normally be denied if they know he has plans to visit you (his girlfriend) because of the high risk of flight from Jamaican citizens.

If he does get the tourist visa, please do everything you can to make sure he goes back to Jamaica before the visa expires. Then, you will minimize any potential hardship when you are finally ready to move toward the next step.

God's blessings on your journey and new relationship.

jawi876

0insijou.png

According to God's favor...Happily married on 09~09~09

See "Our Story" for K-1 timeline

~AOS Timeline~

Nov 28, 2009 ~~ Mailed off Packet

Dec 01, 2009 ~~ Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and signed for by "L. Box"

Dec 07, 2009 ~~ Check Cashed!

Dec 12, 2009 ~~ All 3 NOA1s received in the mail (dated 12/7/09)

Dec 17, 2009 ~~ InfoPass appointment (Emergency AP granted)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ Biometric Letter arrived (dated 12/15/09)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ RFE for I-693 (dated 12/22/09)

Jan 11, 2010 ~~ Completed Biometrics

Jan 14, 2010 ~~ Sent I-693 in sealed envelope via US Priority Mail

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

Jan 20, 2010 ~~ USCIS acknowledged receipt of RFE on I-485 only

Jan 22, 2010 ~~ I-131 AP and I-765 EAD approved (email notice on 1/25/10)

Jan 28, 2010 ~~ USCIS email that I-485 was transferred to CSC on 1/26/10

Jan 30, 2010 ~~ Received EAD and AP via US Postal Service

Feb 01, 2010 ~~ Received notification of case transfer via USPS

May 07, 2010 ~~ Email notification that card production ordered for 1-485

Jun 01, 2010 ~~ Greencard finally arrives w/approval date 2/23/10 (Huh??)

Done until November 25, 2011!!!

Timeline

I have to agree with all of the above. It is nearly impossible for a Jamaican to get a tourist visa. STRONG ties sound so simple to us; but to the embassy it usually means immediate family like children, a business, owning a home, and lots of money in the bank. You are better off just visiting him and trying to show him pictures and tell him tales of your life.

I wish you luck in wherever this takes you.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline

Just like JG and other said; STRONG TIES (they want to make sure HE will come back and not run off)

I have a lot of friends that have tourist visa, but it was like pulling out ALL your teeth to get one. What they had going for them was EXTREMELY and I mean EXTREMELY STRONG TIES TO JAMAICA. For example, house, kids, A DAMN GOOD JOB, bank accounts, FEW family in the states, other property, did I mention bank accounts (with loot) and a DAMN good job. It's possible, but it's not an easy task.

Hope it works out for the both of you.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. This has been very helpful in dealing with one of the most frustrating situations I've ever had to deal with. I look at all of your stories as inspiration. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Thanks again.

Timeline

That killing-stronger part is no lie. I'd just as soon not have anyone experience all of it though, if we can help it. So much easier when things just run smoothly.

Hang in there. You will find your solutions.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Just like JG and other said; STRONG TIES (they want to make sure HE will come back and not run off)

I have a lot of friends that have tourist visa, but it was like pulling out ALL your teeth to get one. What they had going for them was EXTREMELY and I mean EXTREMELY STRONG TIES TO JAMAICA. For example, house, kids, A DAMN GOOD JOB, bank accounts, FEW family in the states, other property, did I mention bank accounts (with loot) and a DAMN good job. It's possible, but it's not an easy task.

right and he shouldn't say he has a girlfriend up here, that is the kiss of death for a nonimmigrant visa from j.a.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline

right and he shouldn't say he has a girlfriend up here, that is the kiss of death for a nonimmigrant visa from j.a.

not sure if u are still checking, but I too was really worried about RG not getting his tourist visa.. Now, he didn't have a problem getting the appt.. He went to Kingston Aug and they gave him an appt in Nov. Nov came and he didn't have necessary documents and had to reshedule. They gave him an interview date for Feb. The turnaround time was 3 mnths from your request date.

He had applied for the visa once before and was denied.. Even he said the chances to get one were slim to none, but he would keep trying. He hadn't worked in JA for about 6 mnths because he had been on a work visa in the Bahamas and returned to JA just for the interview..

So w/ no job, no residence, and nothing of ownership but two lil boys there in JA, I was sure he would be denied again..

BUT, he was approved for a 10yr visa girl!!!!

I don't know how or why, but the grace of God. Maybe the fact that when he is working out of the country he always returns home?? He said he had been through it before and he knew this time to be confident and try not to appear so nervous. Whatever the reason, he got it and is right here in the US as we speak.

one yardie told me "nothing ventured, nothing gained" if u don't try, u'll never know.. Sooo.. I hope at least you guys can get a clear answer on when he can get an interview and go from there.. GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

not sure if u are still checking, but I too was really worried about RG not getting his tourist visa.. Now, he didn't have a problem getting the appt.. He went to Kingston Aug and they gave him an appt in Nov. Nov came and he didn't have necessary documents and had to reshedule. They gave him an interview date for Feb. The turnaround time was 3 mnths from your request date.

He had applied for the visa once before and was denied.. Even he said the chances to get one were slim to none, but he would keep trying. He hadn't worked in JA for about 6 mnths because he had been on a work visa in the Bahamas and returned to JA just for the interview..

So w/ no job, no residence, and nothing of ownership but two lil boys there in JA, I was sure he would be denied again..

I don't know how or why, but the grace of God. Maybe the fact that when he is working out of the country he always returns home?? He said he had been through it before and he knew this time to be confident and try not to appear so nervous. Whatever the reason, he got it and is right here in the US as we speak.

one yardie told me "nothing ventured, nothing gained" if u don't try, u'll never know.. Sooo.. I hope at least you guys can get a clear answer on when he can get an interview and go from there.. GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!

This is the same situation of a few friends I know in JA. They got a 10 year card without having too many ties to JA....so it is possible just a bit difficult at times. ususally after all the hoopla to get the visitor visa you could've done a K1 in less time.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

Thank you so much. I needed a little bit of hope at this time. I spoke with my boyfriend and we agreed that since we started this process we'll see it through to the end and keep praying that it will work for us. So I agree with your statement "nothing ventured, nothing gained".... thank you for sharing your story!!!!!!

I did have one question -- you said your SO went to Kingston to apply for the appointment. I was under the impression that you could only get it through the Embassy's Web site. Do you or anyone know if it is still possible to schedule an appointment in person?

Again thank you and may God continue to bless you and your SO.

Peace.

Timeline

Thank you so much. I needed a little bit of hope at this time. I spoke with my boyfriend and we agreed that since we started this process we'll see it through to the end and keep praying that it will work for us. So I agree with your statement "nothing ventured, nothing gained".... thank you for sharing your story!!!!!!

I did have one question -- you said your SO went to Kingston to apply for the appointment. I was under the impression that you could only get it through the Embassy's Web site. Do you or anyone know if it is still possible to schedule an appointment in person?

Peace.

I will confirm today w/ RG, but my understanding was that he was going to Kingston each time.. He lives in Mobay and would take a bus to Kingston, but he also had to go there to get police report for his work in the Bahamas, so maybe I am assuming.. Its weird though cuz either way, I know after his communication w/ them, he got an interview date immediately even though it was 3 mnths down the line. Keep the faith, try to keep looking toward the end of the road. Pretty soon he will be visiting u and ur family and this time will seem soooo long ago.. Right now his frustration is work,

he is not authorized to work, but he does want to find someone to allow him to do a lil something for money. Its very hard though, he is bored and being broke all the time is a killer. Sometimes I want to suggest not staying the entire 6 mnths. Go home, save some money and then come back. Its crazy, he tried so hard to get here and then I am bout to send back home LOL

Be Blessed...

Timeline

Peace.

That website interview scheduling does not work. You can schedule one. It will give you a date and time and all. Then, when you show up at the embassy, they will say they know nothing about it and you should've gotten the date directly from them.

Save yourself some headaches and don't bother.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Peace.

That website interview scheduling does not work. You can schedule one. It will give you a date and time and all. Then, when you show up at the embassy, they will say they know nothing about it and you should've gotten the date directly from them.

Save yourself some headaches and don't bother.

Thank y'all both! This has been very helpful... it simply amazes me how inefficient/frustrating/overwhelming this whole system can be. I never really looked at how lucky I was to go practically anywhere I wanted whenever I wanted. Never crossed my mind...but now, wow, I can't believe the frustrations people have been dealing with for years. :blink: I guess you can say I was totally clueless.

Thanks again for your help.

Unruly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.