RobSisk

Bribes in the NBI

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I just spoke to my Philippine Fiance. She went through the interview process. She was told her NBI needed more of an explanation as too why it says she has no criminal record. She went to the NBI and offered the man money to fix it so he can add an explanation. She says she has to pay the person 20000 pesos to fix the NBI. Any advice as to what I should do since this is a bribe. I do not want to pay the fee, but I am told that this is the way it is in the philippines.

Robert

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is quite a bad news. Which city is your fiancee? I presume she got a "hit" from NBI, meaning someone who have the same name as hers has a criminal record. Don't you ever give money to them. If your fiancee doesn't really have a criminal record, then there is nothing to worry about. Why doesn't she report it to the higher authorities, or better yet, ask help from the media who have expose programs like "XXX" :) Just a suggestion. THere are a lot of bad eggs working in the government. Sooooooooooooooooooo bad :angry:

Thanks God I don't have the same concern she's facing right now because I was "hit" too when I renew my NBI and my NBI clearance remark is: NO RECORD ON FILE.

-Riza

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I just spoke to my Philippine Fiance. She went through the interview process. She was told her NBI needed more of an explanation as too why it says she has no criminal record. She went to the NBI and offered the man money to fix it so he can add an explanation. She says she has to pay the person 20000 pesos to fix the NBI. Any advice as to what I should do since this is a bribe. I do not want to pay the fee, but I am told that this is the way it is in the philippines.

Robert

Hi,what do you mean an explanation regarding criminal record?from what i understood,having no record means that she's clear from criminal liabilities and there's no explanation on that,just my thought,maybe others can give some light regarding this matter.

as to paying somebody to fix the NBI for 20,000(is this right?),i wouldnt suggest that,you're right,that's a bribe it might create big problem in the end.NBI has a division who handles FRAUD and one of those is my former student,the last time i spoke to her she told me that's one of those cases they usually handles.

That is quite a bad news. Which city is your fiancee? I presume she got a "hit" from NBI, meaning someone who have the same name as hers has a criminal record. Don't you ever give money to them. If your fiancee doesn't really have a criminal record, then there is nothing to worry about. Why doesn't she report it to the higher authorities, or better yet, ask help from the media who have expose programs like "XXX" :) Just a suggestion. THere are a lot of bad eggs working in the government. Sooooooooooooooooooo bad :angry:

Thanks God I don't have the same concern she's facing right now because I was "hit" too when I renew my NBI and my NBI clearance remark is: NO RECORD ON FILE.

-Riza

Actually she says she has no record. that the embassy asked for an explanation why she has no record, then she said there was something about a unpaid permit. She offered the money to the NBI person to have her record fixed she says this this is the normal way in the philippines. I am very angry at her since I told her she should never offer money up front, she should wait to see if someone asks for money. Now she tell me that she has to pay it. She seems to feel that this is the only way to get her NBI fixed.

Timeline

Hi Robsisk,

Sorry to hear about your fiance situation.

Normally, the result should be "NO DEROGATORY RECORD", then it won't need an official explanation letter anymore from the NBI office.

I have read in the USCIS website when result is "NO CRIMINAL RECORD" , it needed an explanation letter. However, asking money for P20,000.00 i don't think it is still in accordance of NBI policy.

Shape

please check this out also.

Source:from Manila USEM website

4. NBI CLEARANCE: Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance for Travel Abroad Purposes from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name, married name, and any aliases or nicknames ever used, including different spellings of all names ever used. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of “No criminal record”, "No pending criminal case” or “With derogatory record.” NBI is located along Taft Avenue in Manila. You may contact NBI at (632) 523-82-31 to 38. For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is considered valid only for one year from the date it is issued.

Robert

Edited by SHAPE OF MY HEART

Timeline

It's best to just call and make inquiry to NBI hot line (632) 523-82-31 to 38. And ask them if paying the P20,000.00 for an official explanation letter is necessary or not.

Shape

Timeline
Hi Robsisk,

Normally, the result should be "NO DEROGATORY RECORD", then it won't need an official explanation letter anymore from the NBI office.

-------------------sorry, i meant USEM not USCIS :) -------

I have read in the USCIS website when result is "NO CRIMINAL RECORD" , it needed an explanation letter. However, asking money for P20,000.00 i don't think it is still in accordance of NBI policy.

Shape

4. NBI CLEARANCE: Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance for Travel Abroad Purposes from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name, married name, and any aliases or nicknames ever used, including different spellings of all names ever used. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of “No criminal record”, "No pending criminal case” or “With derogatory record.” NBI is located along Taft Avenue in Manila. You may contact NBI at (632) 523-82-31 to 38. For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is considered valid only for one year from the date it is issued.

Robert

Edited by SHAPE OF MY HEART

Timeline
I do not want to pay the fee, but I am told that this is the way it is in the philippines.

Robert

Robsisk,

it's not always the way here, not all. Some employees ask money even it is against their codes, Usually these people who ask money do this secretly because they are afraid being caught, once caught means offense or worst termination.

There are many fixers also in NBI facillity , some of them are wearing uniforms like the same with NBI personnels. So its really important to be aware of these fixers.

Good luck.

Hi Robsisk,

Shape

Robert

Thanks This helped alot. I told my Fiance not to pay the money to the NBI person. This is exactly our situation. I told her she needs to get a letter of explanation from the NBI. She was thinking that her NBI had to be changed to a different wording. So she was going to pay this person tpo change it. She seems to think that this is the only way to do things in the philippines. I explained that all she is a letter of explanation. I only hope that she listens to me.

Timeline
Actually she says she has no record. that the embassy asked for an explanation why she has no record, then she said there was something about a unpaid permit. She offered the money to the NBI person to have her record fixed she says this this is the normal way in the philippines. I am very angry at her since I told her she should never offer money up front, she should wait to see if someone asks for money. Now she tell me that she has to pay it. She seems to feel that this is the only way to get her NBI fixed.

It is not the normal way and we don't allow it. It's true that there are people who work in the government and ask for bribe and it's only up to the person if he/she will give in to the bribe or not. I agree with you of telling your fiancee that she should have not offered the officer money. I think when the officer heard it, he had visions of Php bills flying all over. There are proper authorities who could handle this problem. Not everyone in the government are corrupt.

-Riza

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

If I were her, I will report the guy to the head of the NBI Office concerned. Bribing somebody is already rampant in the Philippines giving it a very bad image.Someone here even recommends it ( if you grease the right hand you get results fast) which is just horrible. Tell your fiancee to see the head of the NBI office where she is applying for her certificate and explain her predicament.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

20,000 is too much. many fixers prey on pinays with foreign fiances/spouses. she should be extra careful next time.

N-400

March 21, 2014 - Application sent thru Expressmail

March 25, 2014 - Received/Priority Date

March 26, 2014 - Check cashed

March 27, 2014 - Notice Date

April 2, 2014 - Notice for Biometrics Appointment thru email

Aprill 22, 2014 - Biometrics

April 24, 2014 - In line for interview

August 25, 2014-Scheduled for Interview

September 30, 2014 - Interview and Oath-Taking :joy:

20,000?????That is a LOT of money!!!!! YIKES!

D&J

05-26-2006: Engaged!!

DHS/USCIS - I-129F

02-26-2007: Petition Mailed to TSC via Express Mail

03-06-2007: NOA1 "Notice"

03-07-2007: Check cashed (posted 03-12-2007)

03-12-2007: NOA1 Received in Mail from CSC

06-11-2007: NOA2 Received in Mail from CSC

NVC

06-22-2007: NVC Received Case

06-26-2007: NVC Sent to Manila Embassy (got DOS Case #)

07-02-2007: Received Letter from NVC, dated June 27, 2007

USE-Manila

06-26-2007: USE received case electronically

07-05-2007: USE received hard copy of case from NVC

07-31-2007: J receivied Packet 4

08-16/17-2007: J did early Medical Review at St. Luke's

09-10-2007: Interview Approved!

09-14-2007: Visa in HAND!!

02/21/2008: USA Arrival

03/29/2008: Wedding!

05/12/2008: Mailed AOS via Express Mail

05/21/2008: Check clears our bank account

05/22/2008: Touch on all three apps

05/23/2008: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP arrives from MSC (notice date 5/19/08)

05/24/2008: Received Biometrics Appt. Letter

06/16/2008: Biometrics Appt. at Durham Office

06/17/2008: EAD & AOS touched

07/21/2008: AP "Approval Notice Sent" & EAD "Card Production Ordered" via CRIS Email

07/25/2008: 2 copies of AP approval form received in snail mail, dated 7/21/08

07/28/2008: EAD Card arrives in mail; CRIS email sent I765 (EAD) "Approval Notice Sent"

11/25/2008: Received Appt. Letter dated 11/18/2008 (Appt. is 1/13/09)

01/13/2009: AOS Interview approved

01/20/2009: AOS Approval Notice received

01/23/2009: 2-year Green Card received

20,000?????That is a LOT of money!!!!! YIKES!

Should be wala but welcome to RP.

We got hit up for P5K for a trip with the marriage certificate. Wife haggled them down to P3K.

Best to go with the flow and not make waves.

Get it done and get out of there. P20K is way high tho.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

I'm a bit confused by the responses here. I had Joy look at her NBI and it says "No record on File" is this what it is supposed to say?

Is she going to need some sort of letter of explanation? Her interview is May 20 so I just want to be clear on this.

In direct reference to the OP 20k Php is a bit on the high side for a *cough* "expedite fee" generally 3 or 4 thousand will get what you need done.

Personally I would call directly to Manila or go talk to the director at that location. I would not even mention about the bribe unless pushed.

November 5, 2007 --- 1-129F sent to CSC

November 6, 2007 --- Package received at CSC signed for by V SEMEGI

November 14, 2007 --- NOA1 Date

November 19, 2007 --- NOA1 Hardcopy I-797 received in the mail

March 10, 2008 ---- Touched

March 13, 2008 ---- Touched

March 14, 2008 ---- Touched

March 20, 2008 ---- Touched ( I guess approved but no update on website or email?)

March 25, 2008 ---- Noa2 hard copy received in the mail Dated March 20, 2008

March 31, 2008 ---- NVC Received our File-- Assigned case #

April 2, 2008 ------- Package shipped to US embassy Manila

May 8-9, 2008------ Medical (approved)

May 20, 2008------- Interview (Approved)

May 29, 2008------- Visa Delivered

June 12, 2008------ Flight to USA -POE Chicago

"Calling an Illegal immigrant an Undocumented worker is the equivalent of calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.