overandout

any words of wisdom for us?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So we had our interview today at the London Embassy (yay!). The woman said everything was fine and she was happy to approve and issue us a visa...but...because I don't actually live in the US right now (even though I consider it my residence, I live in the UK as a student also) my dad (who lives in NJ) doesn't count as a household member and therefore has to fill out a seperate I-864 as a co-sponsor. Argh :crying: . So she asked that we have my dad fill out a new I-864. He has to get it notarized and then send it to me, then I have to contact the embassy's courier service who will come pick it up and deliver it to the embassy so I assume that won't take long, but does anyone know how long things will take once they recieve it at the embassy?

They already have all of my dad's tax information (since I used him as a household member's income to qualify on my own I 864) and employment info, confirmation of his salary, etc.. I'm hoping this means that getting them his I 864 is just a formality. The woman who did our interview did say that it's a very common issue, she gave us a blue sheet that explains various issues and reasons for denial of visa applications and this one is top of the list.

The first guy who went through all our paperwork and stuff asked us if we had any definite travel plans, and since they've repeatedly said on every letter not to make any, we said no but we were hoping to leave in June, so all he wrote on the form was 'six months'...so obviously I don't think the lady who conducted the interview knew when we were hoping to leave, so all she told us was that we'd have the visa and be able to leave within six months from today which is pretty vague! We were both so worried and shocked I guess that we didn't even think to ask her exactly how long it would take. The problem is that my student visa for the UK runs out on the 30th of June and we've basically been planning everything around leaving at the beginning of June, so we're hoping that once the embassy gets the documents they need it will be straightforward and they can issue the visa pretty quickly.

The lady did tell us that when my husband enters the US, I either have to already be in the US or he needs to be traveling with me or he could be refused entry, so hopefully if any of you are in a similar situation you won't get stuck at immigration when you arrive in the US!

Phew, sorry this is so long, it's been an interesting day! I hope the rest of you are having better luck! I guess it could be worse... :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
So we had our interview today at the London Embassy (yay!). The woman said everything was fine and she was happy to approve and issue us a visa...but...because I don't actually live in the US right now (even though I consider it my residence, I live in the UK as a student also) my dad (who lives in NJ) doesn't count as a household member and therefore has to fill out a seperate I-864 as a co-sponsor. Argh :crying: . So she asked that we have my dad fill out a new I-864. He has to get it notarized and then send it to me, then I have to contact the embassy's courier service who will come pick it up and deliver it to the embassy so I assume that won't take long, but does anyone know how long things will take once they recieve it at the embassy?

They already have all of my dad's tax information (since I used him as a household member's income to qualify on my own I 864) and employment info, confirmation of his salary, etc.. I'm hoping this means that getting them his I 864 is just a formality. The woman who did our interview did say that it's a very common issue, she gave us a blue sheet that explains various issues and reasons for denial of visa applications and this one is top of the list.

The first guy who went through all our paperwork and stuff asked us if we had any definite travel plans, and since they've repeatedly said on every letter not to make any, we said no but we were hoping to leave in June, so all he wrote on the form was 'six months'...so obviously I don't think the lady who conducted the interview knew when we were hoping to leave, so all she told us was that we'd have the visa and be able to leave within six months from today which is pretty vague! We were both so worried and shocked I guess that we didn't even think to ask her exactly how long it would take. The problem is that my student visa for the UK runs out on the 30th of June and we've basically been planning everything around leaving at the beginning of June, so we're hoping that once the embassy gets the documents they need it will be straightforward and they can issue the visa pretty quickly.

The lady did tell us that when my husband enters the US, I either have to already be in the US or he needs to be traveling with me or he could be refused entry, so hopefully if any of you are in a similar situation you won't get stuck at immigration when you arrive in the US!

Phew, sorry this is so long, it's been an interesting day! I hope the rest of you are having better luck! I guess it could be worse... :)

Hey Paul and Carrie,

Was thinking of you yesterday and am sorry to hear of your bump in the road. This isn't anything I know about but it does sound as if it has happened before since the lady didn't make it a big deal. Even though she said six months remember that the Embassy's standard reply is 3-4 months for EVERYTHING else LOL. So she may have just been giving you the worst case scenario. Keep your hopes high that you both will be here in the US in June. You never know....

You will definitely be in our thoughts and keep us updated...

Crash and Cari

sig1-1.gif

Crash (UK) and Cari (NYC) Two lives, two hearts joined together in friendship united forever in LOVE

July 17, 2005 - HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE - OUR WEDDING DAY!!!!!

I-130

8/8/05 - sent I-130 to Vermont

8/18/05 received NOA!!

9/9/05 I-130 APPROVED!!

2/13/06 CASE COMPLETE per NVC - got letter on 2/25/06

3/28/06 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR 5/2/06 @ 10:30 A.M.

Medical scheduled for 4/10/06 - everything went great!!

5/2/06 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED !!

5/20/06 - Crash came home to NY for good!!

2.png

I-751

3/24/08 sent in petition to VSC

3/25/08 FedEx confirmed-package received

3/28/08 check cleared bank

3/31/08 received NOA1-extension (dated 3/25/08)!!

4/7/08 received NOA2-biometrics appt (dated 4/3/08)!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I hope this works out for you. It is a concern to us too as my husband resides in the UK and sold his house in the USA. The only factor that we hope will qualify him as a sponser, is that he has not given up his job in the US. He has continued to work for his company in Chicago via the internet. After reading about your experience may be we should ask his Dad to fill out the forms as a co sponser just in case.

Good Luck

Sarah

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Thanks guys, we'll be thinking of you on Tuesday! Good luck!

sig1-1.gif

Crash (UK) and Cari (NYC) Two lives, two hearts joined together in friendship united forever in LOVE

July 17, 2005 - HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE - OUR WEDDING DAY!!!!!

I-130

8/8/05 - sent I-130 to Vermont

8/18/05 received NOA!!

9/9/05 I-130 APPROVED!!

2/13/06 CASE COMPLETE per NVC - got letter on 2/25/06

3/28/06 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR 5/2/06 @ 10:30 A.M.

Medical scheduled for 4/10/06 - everything went great!!

5/2/06 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED !!

5/20/06 - Crash came home to NY for good!!

2.png

I-751

3/24/08 sent in petition to VSC

3/25/08 FedEx confirmed-package received

3/28/08 check cleared bank

3/31/08 received NOA1-extension (dated 3/25/08)!!

4/7/08 received NOA2-biometrics appt (dated 4/3/08)!

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi,

I hope this works out for you. It is a concern to us too as my husband resides in the UK and sold his house in the USA. The only factor that we hope will qualify him as a sponser, is that he has not given up his job in the US. He has continued to work for his company in Chicago via the internet. After reading about your experience may be we should ask his Dad to fill out the forms as a co sponser just in case.

Good Luck

Sarah

That might be a good idea - it's not like it costs anything to have his dad fill out the form (except of course for the notary fee) - better to be safe than sorry. :) Our problem was that I had considered my dad a 'household member' as I consider my residence in the US with him to be my 'home' - but since I've been in the UK for the last three years, I count as being 'domiciled' in the UK, therefore my dad doesn't count as a household member and has to fill out a separate I-864. I'd imagine the case is the same with your husband, his dad will have to fill out a seperate I-864 rather than be eligible to be included on your husband's I-864 as a household member.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.