8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Guys

Okay to put this quick:

I came here September 23 on a K1 Visa and got my EAD Stamp in JFK.

A few days later I went to the Social security office (SSO) and applied for my SSN#,they said they would mail it to me within 30 days..The 30 days went by..nothing happend.

I called them and they said "Its gonna come soon".

I was fed up so I went to the office again asking them what the deal is,they said I cant get my SSN# now due to my I94 running out a week later.

They told me to come back with my EAD card.

So today I get my interview appointment in the mail,I would be happy but I dont have an SSN#.

Without an SSN# my husband and I cant put my name on the house and do several other things due to the SSN# being missing.

The only thing we have so far is that I am on his health insurance and on his bank account.

What shall I do?? I dont want to get denied!! Will they understand this? -I do have a letter from the SSO stating that I am able to have an SSN# but not until I get my EAD card.

PLEASE HELP!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Guys

Okay to put this quick:

I came here September 23 on a K1 Visa and got my EAD Stamp in JFK.

A few days later I went to the Social security office (SSO) and applied for my SSN#,they said they would mail it to me within 30 days..The 30 days went by..nothing happend.

I called them and they said "Its gonna come soon".

I was fed up so I went to the office again asking them what the deal is,they said I cant get my SSN# now due to my I94 running out a week later.

They told me to come back with my EAD card.

So today I get my interview appointment in the mail,I would be happy but I dont have an SSN#.

Without an SSN# my husband and I cant put my name on the house and do several other things due to the SSN# being missing.

The only thing we have so far is that I am on his health insurance and on his bank account.

What shall I do?? I dont want to get denied!! Will they understand this? -I do have a letter from the SSO stating that I am able to have an SSN# but not until I get my EAD card.

PLEASE HELP!

I just don't get the SSA; my husband had NO PROBLEM getting his SS# based on his K-1/I-94. The key here is: the I-94 IS your EAD until it expires....the SSA is supposed to give you a SS# based on your K-1 status and an unexpired I-94. Now that your I94 is expiring, I think you'll have to wait until you get your EAD now; sad, but true. :wacko:

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP

Day 000: 2007-12-28 Mailed Application

Day 006: 2008-01-03 "Received Date"

Day 011: 2008-01-08 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received

Day 028: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.

Day 043: 2008-02-09 AOS Notice of Interview received

Day 054: 2008-02-20 AP & EAD Approval Email

Day 059: 2008-02-25 Received AP

Day 060: 2008-02-26 EAD card production ordered

Day 063: 2008-02-29 EAD card received

Day 123: 2008-05-01 AOS Interview in Detroit!

Day 123: 2008-05-01 Approval email notice...same day as Interview!

Day 125: 2008-05-03 Card Production Notice

Day 127: 2008-05-05 Welcome to the USA Letter!

K-1 Visa Approval

Day 000: 2007-02-05 Mailed Application

Day 016: 2007-02-21 NOA1 Date

Day 087: 2007-05-03 NOA2 Date

Day 119: 2007-06-05 Received Packet 3 (Instructions)

Day 123: 2007-06-09 Returned Packet 3

Day 287: 2007-11-08 K-1 Interview at Montreal

Day 293: 2007-11-14 K1 Visa in Hand

Day 296: 2007-11-17 POE

Day 299: 2007-11-20 Wedding on St. Pete Beach, FL

Filed: Timeline

Not having a SSN at AOS interview is not a problem.... you have some proof of joint living... bank account and health insurance.... my husband was able to have my name added to our utility bills without a SSN and we also joined our local video club and Costco shopping club... we had all our friends mail us letters addressed to us both at our address and we got a letter from our landlord stating that he could not add me to our lease until I had a SSN but he confirmed that I was living there....

Just gather what you can and explain to the officer if asked why you do not have more..... I am sure you will be fine...

Kez

Timeline
I just don't get the SSA; my husband had NO PROBLEM getting his SS# based on his K-1/I-94. The key here is: the I-94 IS your EAD until it expires....the SSA is supposed to give you a SS# based on your K-1 status and an unexpired I-94. Now that your I94 is expiring, I think you'll have to wait until you get your EAD now; sad, but true.

Well my I94 expired December 22+K1 Visa ,so they definatly wont issue me an SSN# now.

Yes I had my biometrics last week and in the worst case I will have my Interview before I even hold the EAD card in my hand.

I am so worried!

Oh and I also have another question on the appointment letter I got it tells you what to bring,one of the points is:

Letters from ech current employer,are the refering to the employers in the US or from my homecountry???

I have not worked in the US yet.

Filed: Timeline
Letters from ech current employer,are the refering to the employers in the US or from my homecountry???

I have not worked in the US yet.

That is refering to your current employer here in the US for both you if you are employed and your husband.....

Kez

Timeline

I mean I must say that I am totally in shock to get my AOS Interview so soon.

I just mailed my AOS papers out January 8th.

Is it normal to go so fast?

I mean some people wait ages for it.

My husband didnt have his SSN when we filed either. I added him added on our lease as 'occupant', added him on the car insurance as a licensed foreign driver, got him on my gym membership so he had his own card, got him a library card w/his passport, etc. There are quite a few things you can cough up to prove residency without the SSN. I also had a few pieces of paper correspondence he had received in the mail at our address, letters from family, our marriage certificate, junk mail, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.