jdsp07

The mythical I-551 stamp

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why would customs and immigration allow only one POE to issue the stamp? In the general understanding of consistentcy in the USCIS it seems strange that they would do this. This whole issue with regards to working while on a K-1 seems to be in dispute. Has anyone heard of another POE having the fabled "I-551 Stamp"?

Oct. 15/07 K-1 Issued Vancouver, BC

Nov. 22/07 POE Blaine, WA

Dec. 7/07 Wedding

Dec. 14/07 AOS, AP, EAD received in Chicago, IL

Dec. 26/07 Received NOA in mail

Jan. 31/08 Biometrics appointment San Antonio done

Feb. 7 EAD and AP card production ordered.

Feb. 15 EAD card received

Feb. 15 AP approved documents received, they spelt my middle name incorrect. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

All POE's issue that stamp, it is only stamped in the passports of people entering the USA on an IMMIGRANT VISA such as CR-1 and IR-1.

I-551 makes passport into an temporary GREEN-CARD good for 1 year.

If you want the I-551 stamp, you need to marry first, and then apply for a CR-1 visa and enter the USA using the CR-1 visa, Immigrant visas are the only ones guaranteed to be able to take a job immediately after entry to the USA.

You may be thinking about the EAD stamp, it is not USCIS policy to issue this stamp, it is optional, and JFK POE does it as well as others, I have read many posts where people have got the stamp at other ports of entry. JFK can also discontinue this at any time, the stamp is not required to get a SSN from SSA.

K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

K-1 is NOT a work visa, it is a marriage visa.

5.5)...Is there any way I can make absolutely, positively sure that my fiance(e) will receive work authorization so that they can go to work and help to pay the bills right away?

A..No.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html#5.5 Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
You may be thinking about the EAD stamp, it is not USCIS policy to issue this stamp, it is optional, and JFK POE does it as well as others, I have read many posts where people have got the stamp at other ports of entry. JFK can also discontinue this at any time, the stamp is not required to get a SSN from SSA.

K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

5.5)...Is there any way I can make absolutely, positively sure that my fiance(e) will receive work authorization so that they can go to work and help to pay the bills right away?

A..No.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html#5.5

I was wondering if I did go to the local airport here (San Antonio, TX) and asked them for the EAD stamp. I've already entered on a K-1 with my I-94. I asked them at the border (Blaine, WA) when I entered for the EAD stamp and they told me to apply for a I-551 when I got down here. They probably were unclear on this issue. There is an immigration office at the airport here.

I want to start working but I am very unclear after reading several posts on this website if I can or cannot work while on a K-1. I have a SSN but it has "with INS authorization." :wacko:

Dec. 7/07 Wedding

Timeline

A..No.

I was wondering if I did go to the local airport here (San Antonio, TX) and asked them for the EAD stamp. I've already entered on a K-1 with my I-94. I asked them at the border (Blaine, WA) when I entered for the EAD stamp and they told me to apply for a I-551 when I got down here. They probably were unclear on this issue. There is an immigration office at the airport here.

I want to start working but I am very unclear after reading several posts on this website if I can or cannot work while on a K-1. I have a SSN but it has "with INS authorization." :wacko:

Airport will not give you the I-551 stamp unless you are entering the USA on a "Green-Card" visa such as IR-1 or CR-1, also most airports have immigrations in a secured area that you enter only after leaving the plane.

Some try to get EAD stamp at local USCIS office but most fail, USCIS office will say to apply for EAD by filing I-765.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline

So what you are saying is a K-1 holder is "Work Authorized"??? Meaning I can work?

Sorry I'm confused.

Dec. 7/07 Wedding

Timeline

So what you are saying is a K-1 holder is "Work Authorized"??? Meaning I can work?

Sorry I'm confused.

Technicaly, yes it is been of debate here on VJ but if you look closely at form I-9 column A used by employers to verify employment elagibility it states Foreign passport with valid I-94 card.

5. An unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer.

The employer needs to be aware that K-1 is work-auth for the 90 days of the I-94 card, and will require an actual EAD card within 90 days of hire.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Correct. :blink:

All POE's issue that stamp, it is only stamped in the passports of people entering the USA on an IMMIGRANT VISA such as CR-1 and IR-1.

I-551 makes passport into an temporary GREEN-CARD good for 1 year.

If you want the I-551 stamp, you need to marry first, and then apply for a CR-1 visa and enter the USA using the CR-1 visa, Immigrant visas are the only ones guaranteed to be able to take a job immediately after entry to the USA.

A..No.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.