ddkm

Best way to send money to USA

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all

I have been researching all different ways to send money from UK over to USA. Can anyone offer some experience on having done this before please, as i will likely be sending money over soon, as will my father when he sends us a wedding gift of money

Thanks alot! :thumbs:

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

This gets discussed quite a lot (unsurprisingly, as we all want to know the cheapest & best way to do it!) - most recently in this thread... have a read, there are a few good suggestions there! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One option is open an account at a bank that has branches in the UK and USA, like HSBC Bank or Citibank, you can deposit money and then use ATM card at a USA branch office to withdraw.

http://www.citibank.co.uk/

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

depends on how much./.......I regularly use moneygram....instant and cheap and there are locations all over the place.....if I can send money to Grand Island NE it can probably get sent anywhere. there is a moneygram website with all the details.

MY TIMELINES

K1

06/21/2007 - petition mailed....finally

07/09/2007 - NOA1 (hard copy 07/11/2007)

11/13/2007 - NOA2...127days after filing (hard copy 11/17/07)

12/22/2007 - packet 3 rec. (12/28/2007 returned)

01/11/2008 - medical (allergic to tetanus shot, requirement waived)

02/05/2008 - interview @ 10am - APPROVED!!!!!!

03/12/2008 - Flying Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago - Omaha

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

07/31/2008 - AOS and EAD finally mailed

08/02/2008 - Delivered

08/08/2008 - Check cleared

08/11/2008 - NOA1's for AOS and EAD recieved (reciept date 08/07/2008)

08/16/2008 - Biometrics letter recieved

09/09/2008 - Biometrics at 1pm, Omaha

09/26/2008 - AOS transferred to CSC

09/29/2008 - AOS touched (took out envelope at CSC and put in new pile)

10/03/2008 - AOS touched (probably that RFE coming soon!!!!)

10/06/2008 - AOS touched AGAIN!!! (surely it's an RFE)

10/15/2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!YEY!!!

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

01/26/2009 - Email from CRIS. GREENCARD PRODUCTION ORDERED..YIPPPPEEE

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

11/15/2010 - NOA1 and check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am also weighing up my options on this matter too - Hopefuilly when my house sells the profit probably approx £60,000 will be deposited it my NW bank. Now I am wandering how i will transfer that amount - my fiance says I can just do a wire transfer from my bank to his bank (my fiance rang his bank they charge him $11 to recieve a wire transfer)

- i have the following concerns:

1. Will it look bad in terms of his account all of a sudden having like $100,000 in it?

2. Will it look like I paid him to marry me?

3. Will he be picked up by the IRS for tax purposes?

4. can he add my name to his account before I get there? so if there is a question about the money I can prove I sold my house in the UK.

5. Is it best for me to transfer the money into an account in USA after I arrive?

6. I thought what if I took my cheque book and once i got there and opened an account I write myself a UK cheque in UK pounds to de[posit into my USA bankl - will that make things easy? I know I will get charged in the USA

I get so confused with this exchange rate stuff and I want the easiest way possible with less hassle but then again it is alot of money that will be transfered so I dont want to loose $$ either.

If anyone wants to send me a private message on how they transfered a large amount please do so - it will remain confidential:)

I am so confused:(

any help is appreciated

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

I would be tempted to leave the majority of the money in the UK till you have a bank account in your name in the US. Till then just take enough dollars/travellers cheques to get you by, and remember you can still use your UK Visa/Mastercard/Switch card in US ATMs and shops.

When you have a bank account in the US I would use something like www.interchangefx.com to transfer the money over to your account. You open an Interchange account and get a quote from them on what rate you'll get for what sum of money, call your UK bank and instruct them to send the money to Interchange's bank account, then Interchange will deposit the US funds in your US bank account the day of the exchange.

I've no idea what the IRS does in this situation, but that way it's obvious that it's your money that you're bringing in, and your fiance doesn't have to get involved and worry about IRS issues.

Having said that, I have so far transferred £20,000 and have heard nothing from the IRS and don't know what happens next...

Does that help?

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

Timeline

Yes but if i use my uk cards in the usa i get charged damn NAT WEST BANK! LOL

Dont i have to be in the UK to ask my bank to tranfer the money to www.interchangefx.com ?

Yes it helps a little:) thank you

Lina (UKC)

I would be tempted to leave the majority of the money in the UK till you have a bank account in your name in the US. Till then just take enough dollars/travellers cheques to get you by, and remember you can still use your UK Visa/Mastercard/Switch card in US ATMs and shops.

When you have a bank account in the US I would use something like www.interchangefx.com to transfer the money over to your account. You open an Interchange account and get a quote from them on what rate you'll get for what sum of money, call your UK bank and instruct them to send the money to Interchange's bank account, then Interchange will deposit the US funds in your US bank account the day of the exchange.

I've no idea what the IRS does in this situation, but that way it's obvious that it's your money that you're bringing in, and your fiance doesn't have to get involved and worry about IRS issues.

Having said that, I have so far transferred £20,000 and have heard nothing from the IRS and don't know what happens next...

Does that help?

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

Filed: Timeline

Neil has a lloyds tsb account and they charge him 15 quid to send money to my bank account the next day and 10 quid to send it to get there in 3-5 days. it always turns up and then my bank charges me like $10-15. that's how we always did it. as for senting money from the us to the uk I used moneygram when needed

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Dont i have to be in the UK to ask my bank to tranfer the money to www.interchangefx.com ?

Lina (UKC)

Nope! I've done three or four transfers with them since I got here - I just call Interchange to arrange it and agree a rate each time, then call my bank in the UK and get them to send the sterling to Interchange by BACS transfer. Could even just use online banking to do the transfer from my UK account to Interchange.

Don't think you'd need to be in the UK to set up an account with Interchange in the first place, either - I think when I set mine up they asked me to fax them the completed application form & a photocopy of the photo page from my passport, so that could be done from the US (I didn't have access to a fax machine at the time, so I just emailed them a photo of my passport photo page!)

My guess is that using Interchange or a similar company would be MUCH better than just getting your bank to transfer the money to the US... with such a large sum of money, you'd probably lose tons getting the bank to do it. Unless your bank is better with this stuff than mine, who like to use such transactions as an opportunity to fleece customers and generally take the p*$$! :angry:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Timeline

Ok I did find out today that if i went with the bank for example todays rate and the rate from interchange I would loose apptrox $2000 which is alot of money!! so I would think the brokers would be a good thing - I just worry is it really secure?? will i get my money? Obviously quite a few ppl on here have used their services so obviously you all did get your money:)

OK I have another question - as to what I had posted in my previous post - how about the tax purposes! If all of a sudden $120,000 goes into David's (USC) bank account - will he be taxed on it??

I read somewhere that there is a limit of transfering 10,000 of the local currency?? does anyone know about that? or if there was a limit on how much to transfer??

any help is appreciated:)

Lina (UKC)

London Interview list

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.