Chiara

Traveling WITHIN USA after K-1 expired

7 posts in this topic

Hello! I have a question: is it safe to fly in the US from one state to another if my K-1 visa has already expired but it's been 4 months and we still haven't filed for AOS (please don't tell me it's bad that we haven't, I already know, something I can't control)? I mean they will look into my passport because it's the only ID I have, and they will see that the visa is expired, I can show them my marriage certificate as proof of me getting married on time, but if I tell them that I still haven't filed for AOS, will it be a problem? Has someone been in a similar situation? Thank you for your help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

When flying domestically the only reason you need to show ID is to prove that your identity matches that of the name on the airline ticket. Airline personnel look at the first page of your passport to view your photo and name - they don't look for visas so you will be fine. (Might not be a bad idea to get a state ID so you have another form of identification rather than having to carry around your passport).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
(Might not be a bad idea to get a state ID so you have another form of identification rather than having to carry around your passport).

Since Chiara hasn't sent off for AOS yet, she hasn't got an EAD or GC, therefore most likely cannot get a DL or ID Card.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

(Might not be a bad idea to get a state ID so you have another form of identification rather than having to carry around your passport).

Since Chiara hasn't sent off for AOS yet, she hasn't got an EAD or GC, therefore most likely cannot get a DL or ID Card.

In CA you will not be able to get a State ID. But we were told by USCIS as long as Annie traveled with her passport and a copy of the Marriage Cert, we should be fine.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

A foreign government-issued photo-ID (such as driver's licence) would probably also work.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
Hello! I have a question: is it safe to fly in the US from one state to another if my K-1 visa has already expired but it's been 4 months and we still haven't filed for AOS (please don't tell me it's bad that we haven't, I already know, something I can't control)? I mean they will look into my passport because it's the only ID I have, and they will see that the visa is expired, I can show them my marriage certificate as proof of me getting married on time, but if I tell them that I still haven't filed for AOS, will it be a problem? Has someone been in a similar situation? Thank you for your help!

Hello,

I have travelled several times (3 times to Vegas, once to Orange County, CA & once to Indy, IN) whilst waiting for my AOS just with my passport, with no problems. They never asked for my wedding cert before and looked at my expired K-1 visa or I-94.

Have fun!

Sincerely,

Miwa's wife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are traveling from a US border town you might want to check what they would require from you. When you travel from airports in the "border area" (I think 25 miles from the border with Mexico) to another airport further north, there are Border Patrol officers making sure you have a valid visa and I-94 before they let you get through security. I'm not sure how they would handle and expired K1, maybe Yodrak or Ziggy would know....

May 1996: Met in Mexico
K1
March 7th, 2006: Sent 129F to NSC
March 9th, 2006: NOA1 Day 1
June 15th, 2006: Notice of transfer to CSC
October 3rd, 2006: IMBRA RFE e-mail
October 17th, 2006 CSC e-mail confirming RFE receipt.
October 18th, 2006: NOA2!!!!!!!! 224 days!
October 25th, 2006: NVC received file
November 10th, 2006: Received Packet from CDJ
January 5th, 2007: Visa approved!!!! 302 days!
February 16th, 2007: Civil Ceremony
AOS
February 21st, 2007: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago
March 1st, 2007: NOA1 - Day 1
March 26th, 2007: I-485 transferred to CSC - Day 25
March 30th, 2007: Biometrics appointment - Day 29
April 14th, 2007: Big Wedding!!!!
May 8th, 2007: AP Approved - Day 68
May 10th, 2007: EAD Approved- Day 70
September 20th, 2007: SECOND Biometrics appointment - Day 203
December 4th, 2007: AOS approved!!!! 278 days!
December 10th, 2007: Received GC - Day 284
Removal of Conditions
August 31st, 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC
September 2nd, 2009: NOA1 - Day 1
October 15th, 2009: Biometrics appointment - Day 44
October 26th, 2009: 10 year GC approved!! - Day 55
October 31st, 2009: Received GC - Day 60

NATURALIZATION

May 7th, 2013: Mailed N-400

May 9th, 2013: NOA1 - Day 1

June 10th, 2013: Biometrics Appointment - Day 33

September 5th, 2013: Interview - Day

September 27th, 2013: Oath Ceremony- Day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.