canadianroots75

A Canadian/US baby

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all- just wondering if you all applied for a Canadaian passport for a new baby recently? I am due in May 2009 and this will be a US birth to a Canadian mom.....daddy is US citizen. How long did it take to get a US passport and then a Canadian one? I figure at least 3 months to get the US one. Any one do this in the past couple moonths for a time line?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a baby (I'm canadian, DH is american) this past September (2008) and am about to start the passport process. I contacted the Canadian consulate for my area and was advised to get the US passport, then apply for his citizenship certificate from Canada then apply for his Canadian passport (need the canadian citizenship certificate in to prove he's Canadian for the passport). I have no idea about timelines, but someone I know who also had a baby in Sept applied for a US passport for her baby and got it in 2 weeks. I'm hoping we get the same treatment. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our little one was born in August. I have not applied for anything in Canada for her....I honestly did not even think I had to. yikes! What do I need to do to make sure she is a Canadian as well?

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Our little one was born in August. I have not applied for anything in Canada for her....I honestly did not even think I had to. yikes! What do I need to do to make sure she is a Canadian as well?

She is Canadian, you may just want to get a document to prove that:

Proof of citizenship

Sometimes you need to prove that you are a Canadian citizen. You may need to do this when you:

vote

apply for a passport

apply for certain jobs or

apply to obtain certain government entitlements.

If you were born in Canada, a birth certificate issued by the province or territory of your birth is often enough to prove that you are a Canadian citizen.

If you were born outside Canada, you get a citizenship certificate when you become a Canadian citizen.

If you were born outside Canada and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen when you were born, you need to apply for a citizenship certificate to prove you are a Canadian citizen.

A citizenship certificate is proof of citizenship. It is not a travel document. Any Canadian citizen wanting to travel outside Canada should obtain a Canadian passport.

The citizenship certificate is a wallet-sized card that has your photograph on it.

Who can apply

How to apply

After applying

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

www.cic.gc.ca

Timeline

To get a Canadian passport for the baby, You have to first apply for a Citizenship Certificate for the child through CIC. After you have the citizenship certificate, you can then apply for a passport. The citizenship certificate takes about 6 months to get.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

My first baby was born in Canada. He has his Manitoba birth certificate that proves his Canadian citizenship and we applied for his US passport to prove US citizenship. It was quite easy to get his US passport thru his American father and it came within 4 weeks. Our next baby is going to be born in the US. He/she will have a US birth certificate but we will also apply for a US passport. I will apply for a Canadian citizenship card for him/her to prove Canadian citizenship. I opt for getting them US passports as they seem easier to optain and cost less. Plus when they are older they are valid for a longer period of time. Canadian birth certificates and citizenship cards never expire.

You technically don't have to apply for anything but then again your little one will never have any proof they are Canadian unless you are always going to be traveling with them with your proof that you are Canadian and their birth certificate that you are the Canadian mother/father. Canadian citizenship for you little one will be implied thru the Canadian parent but having a citizen card gives the proof they are if the Canadain parent isn't present.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
To get a Canadian passport for the baby, You have to first apply for a Citizenship Certificate for the child through CIC. After you have the citizenship certificate, you can then apply for a passport. The citizenship certificate takes about 6 months to get.

WOW! i'm glad the girls were born here (Canada)! seems to be easier to get stuff on the US side.

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

• 1 month later...
Timeline
I had a baby (I'm canadian, DH is american) this past September (2008) and am about to start the passport process. I contacted the Canadian consulate for my area and was advised to get the US passport, then apply for his citizenship certificate from Canada then apply for his Canadian passport (need the canadian citizenship certificate in to prove he's Canadian for the passport). I have no idea about timelines, but someone I know who also had a baby in Sept applied for a US passport for her baby and got it in 2 weeks. I'm hoping we get the same treatment. Good luck!

Hey Karly, I'm trying to apply for the Canadian Citizenship certificate for my baby too. I'm wonderign if you've already started the application process. I have the forms filled out but having a lot of trouble with what they need as supporting documents. Can you give me any advice?

Joanna

Married August 21 2004 in Nova Scotia!

October 19/04 sent I-130.

April 17/08 finally arrive back in New Orleans after 3 years and 8 months.

May 19/08 Perm Resident Card arrives.

July 24/08 Reapply for a new SS card with married name.

August 4/08 Baby daughter born.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Canadianroots75 (and Everyone),

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Likewise, I'm pregnant too (due in July 2009), and am wondering the same thing too, as it's a US birth to a Canadian Mom and a US Dad...

Though in our situation, it's probably best that the Baby (and me as well) gets an American passport, as the Canadian one is very difficult to get...See other posts on VJ about the difficulties of renewing/getting "Canadian Passports", as posted through here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167865.

Lol...I figure if I can't renew my Canadian passport (which expires next week..eek!), then what makes me think that I can get a Canadian passport for the Baby too?...Impossible task...ha!

As for our Baby being a Canadian (even though it's somewhat implied), legally, we're probably let them decide for themselves when they are old enough to as to if/when they want to be Canadian too, as we don't think that it's fair to impose any additional citizenship on them as a minor (other than the one that they are born with they can't choose anyways). So when they legally are an adult (and I think they have until age 28 to do this, someone correct me if I'm wrong), they can do that for themselves instead, and we'll support them from there...

By the way can our Baby become a Canadian citizen if they wanted to later on, even though I was a Naturalized Canadian citizen? And will they get a Canadian birth certificate too, or just a Naturalization/Citizenship card when they become a Canadian citizen? And if they do get a Naturalization/Citizenship card, will they have to renew it? ( I know I didn't have to renew mine, even though I got it as a small child, but do they have to renew theirs?)

Anyways, good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and in getting Canadian citizenship for you little one. And good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby...)

P.S. To Everyone: Feel free to PM me too, if you want to talk about pregnancy/baby issues as well...

Hi all- just wondering if you all applied for a Canadaian passport for a new baby recently? I am due in May 2009 and this will be a US birth to a Canadian mom.....daddy is US citizen. How long did it take to get a US passport and then a Canadian one? I figure at least 3 months to get the US one. Any one do this in the past couple moonths for a time line?
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Hi Ant,

Yes, because you were also born outside Canada, you would have to register their birth before age 28, plus they will have to meet the criteria below. They will not get a Canadian birth certificate (you can only get a birth certificate in a country you were physically born in).

note: these guidelines are only for the 2nd generation born outside of Canada to at least 1 Canadian parent.

How do I retain Canadian citizenship?

You must

Register as a Canadian citizen, and

Make an application to retain citizenship, and

Be under 28 years of age.

Live in Canada for at least one year immediately before filing your application, or

Have a substantial connection with Canada in one of the following ways:

for at least two of the four years immediately before filing your application, you worked for the federal or a provincial government, or

you were a member of the Canadian Forces or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP),

or you were a Canadian representative to the United Nations or one of its affiliated agencies,

or you have basic knowledge of English or French to be able to carry on a simple conversation, and your knowledge of Canada’s history, geography, government and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship to pass a test,

and

for at least one year after turning 14 years of age, you attended a recognized secondary or post-secondary educational institution in Canada, or

you lived in Canada with a family member.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Karly, I'm trying to apply for the Canadian Citizenship certificate for my baby too. I'm wonderign if you've already started the application process. I have the forms filled out but having a lot of trouble with what they need as supporting documents. Can you give me any advice?

Joanna

I've been procrastinating so I haven't started the process yet, but when I contacted the canadian consulate, I was informed I could use his SS card as proof of identity and that one form of ID may be sufficient evidence for an infant (along w/ birth cert). I'm thinking of using his US passport (when we get it) and his SS card. Hopefully that'll be enough. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!!

Timeline
Hi Ant,

Yes, because you were also born outside Canada, you would have to register their birth before age 28, plus they will have to meet the criteria below. They will not get a Canadian birth certificate (you can only get a birth certificate in a country you were physically born in).

note: these guidelines are only for the 2nd generation born outside of Canada to at least 1 Canadian parent.

How do I retain Canadian citizenship?

You must

Register as a Canadian citizen, and

Make an application to retain citizenship, and

Be under 28 years of age.

Live in Canada for at least one year immediately before filing your application, or

Have a substantial connection with Canada in one of the following ways:

for at least two of the four years immediately before filing your application, you worked for the federal or a provincial government, or

you were a member of the Canadian Forces or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP),

or you were a Canadian representative to the United Nations or one of its affiliated agencies,

or you have basic knowledge of English or French to be able to carry on a simple conversation, and your knowledge of Canada's history, geography, government and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship to pass a test,

and

for at least one year after turning 14 years of age, you attended a recognized secondary or post-secondary educational institution in Canada, or

you lived in Canada with a family member.

Actually this does not apply to naturalized citizens. Your baby will be considered the first generation born abroad, so Citizenship can pass to your baby. You must file for a Citizenship Certificate.

Based on the new naturalization act, your child will not be able to pass Canadian Citizenship to her children unless the children are born in Canada.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
Actually this does not apply to naturalized citizens. Your baby will be considered the first generation born abroad, so Citizenship can pass to your baby. You must file for a Citizenship Certificate.

Based on the new naturalization act, your child will not be able to pass Canadian Citizenship to her children unless the children are born in Canada.

You are right, I went back and reviewed it and this is correct and also very interesting.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.