Alex+R

The bank (Citibank) lost our money

43 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok so, we deposited two checks on Monday at Citibank (where we just opened an account a month or so ago). I looked online waiting for the checks to clear, and there was (obviously) other money in our account. Then, suddenly, yesterday the online thing showed that we had a negative balance equal to the rent check for this month. We've called twice and they are telling us they have no idea where our money is, and that their records indicate we used to have some and we didn't spend it (LOL).

They are opening "an investigation."

#######? I have never heard of this in my life. What the hell do we do?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Ok so, we deposited two checks on Monday at Citibank (where we just opened an account a month or so ago). I looked online waiting for the checks to clear, and there was (obviously) other money in our account. Then, suddenly, yesterday the online thing showed that we had a negative balance equal to the rent check for this month. We've called twice and they are telling us they have no idea where our money is, and that their records indicate we used to have some and we didn't spend it (LOL).

Using your online account access, you ought to be able to determine what money went into and out of the account. You match that up against what you know you deposited and withdrew and then you'll be left with either deposits that didn't post to your account or withdrawls that you didn't make. Tou have them look at those. The account doesn't just "lose" money.

They will be able to trace it for you. Do you have the deposit slip to records?

05/07/2007 : I-129F Sent

05/29/2007 : NOA1

09/28/2007 : NOA2 (144 days from filing date)

11/02/2007 : NVC Received Case (35 days from NOA2)

11/06/2007 : NVC Sent Case to HCM Consulate

11/16/2007 : HCMC Received Case

11/17/2007 : HCMC Sent Packet 3

11/20/2007 : HCMC Received Packet 3

12/10/2007 : HCMC Called Fiancee (Packet 4 Sent + Interview Date)

12/18/2007 : Packet 4 Received

01/02/2008 : Medical Appointment

01/09/2008 : Interview passed!

01/29/2008 : Visa Received

02/02/2008 : POE @ SFO

Favorite Links:

K1 Process Flowchart

Vietnam Visa Seekers

how did you deposit the checks? hope it's resolved fast.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Using your online account access, you ought to be able to determine what money went into and out of the account. You match that up against what you know you deposited and withdrew and then you'll be left with either deposits that didn't post to your account or withdrawls that you didn't make. Tou have them look at those. The account doesn't just "lose" money.

That's the crazy thing! They can see that we had those checks, but on our online statement, the checks have vanished. There is also no record of any transactions showing money out. It just says on the day they cashed our rent check, Check for $xxx, end of day balance: -$xxx (rent amount). It just shows that! There's no record of where the checks are and they're not showing up at all anymore!

Seriously, the money is actually lost, according to them. There's no record of it going in or out of the account at all, although there used to be a record of it going in.

eta: they told me that it's a "banking error" but I could hardly understand the call center lady. They told Rey it was "just lost" and that they would "make a note on the account" and "open an investigation" which all sound totally unbelievable.

Edited by Alex+R

Timeline
Those checks should be recorded as deposited. With my account there's the balance and then the available balance. Could that be where the discrepancy lies? :unsure:

No, because that's what it said on Monday after we deposited the check. It said balance = n, avail balance = n - checks deposited pending approval. then the checks went away.

sorry if i'm not making sense but I'm furious.

eta: not only the checks but the rest of the money in the account, too.

the day before there was a transaction with a reasonable "end-of-day balance" that, minus the rent, was not zero.

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Those checks should be recorded as deposited. With my account there's the balance and then the available balance. Could that be where the discrepancy lies? :unsure:

No, because that's what it said on Monday after we deposited the check. It said balance = n, avail balance = n - checks deposited pending approval. then the checks went away.

the day before there was a transaction with a reasonable "end-of-day balance" that, minus the rent, was not zero.

That sucks...I'm sorry, Alex. Phew...those checks should be traceable, and hopefully you still have your deposit receipt for them. Sounds like somebody's hacked into their computers. :( F#ckers.

This is why I keep my money in my mattress.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

That sucks...I'm sorry, Alex. Phew...those checks should be traceable, and hopefully you still have your deposit receipt for them. Sounds like somebody's hacked into their computers. :( F#ckers.

Citibank's computers!?!?!? Shouldn't they have tighter security than that?? Thankfully Rey has the original receipt from the deposit... although it hasn't gotten us anywhere so far. And what about the rest of our freaking money? GRR.

This is why I keep my money in my mattress.

:lol: That's starting to look like a good option.

Filed: Timeline

That's the crazy thing! They can see that we had those checks, but on our online statement, the checks have vanished. There is also no record of any transactions showing money out. It just says on the day they cashed our rent check, Check for $xxx, end of day balance: -$xxx (rent amount). It just shows that! There's no record of where the checks are and they're not showing up at all anymore!

Seriously, the money is actually lost, according to them. There's no record of it going in or out of the account at all, although there used to be a record of it going in.

eta: they told me that it's a "banking error" but I could hardly understand the call center lady. They told Rey it was "just lost" and that they would "make a note on the account" and "open an investigation" which all sound totally unbelievable.

That to me sounds as if the checks were never actually credited to the account. When you deposit a check, usually, they show that deposit marked with a little * in your online access - as in "pending".

That's one of the things I don't like about Citi's online access. They show as "available now" more than there may be available. Example, whenever I get gas, the gas stations apparently only log a $1.00 credit authorization which typically is pending for a few days until the actual charge is posted. Same with restaurant tabs - the credit authorization always omits the tip amount. Now, none of that is a big deal but if one was to go by the "available" balance as shown online, one could be in trouble if there isn't any "buffer" in the account.

All that said, could it be that the checks you deposited bounced?

Sounds like somebody's hacked into their computers.

Not necessarily.

Timeline

Mr Big Dog: Hmm, I doubt they bounced. One was from Columbia University, which seems unlikely to bounce a check. Wouldn't they tell us if a check bounced?

I don't think it was hacked. It sounds like human error with data entry.

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
I don't think it was hacked. It sounds like human error with data entry.

I would assume that. But you'd think they'd get their arses in gear to correct the error. Instead, we've had days of calls to (presumably) India and nothing is happening! This is the worst banking service I've ever experienced. I've never heard of a bank losing your money and not caring about fixing the situation.