djc

Visa Package?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, we finally received our visa in the mail. :) I wish that were the end of it, but now we're stressing about moving!!

Was there supposed to be any info in the package that we received? We got the passport and the Do-Not-Open Envelope, but no info on activating the visa or moving or Social Security Numbers or anything like that.

We also have a SSN from prior visas to the US for work, anyone know if the SSN will stay the same number or if they will create a new one? I can't find any info about this, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Anyone? :help:

Thanks in advance. :blush:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh I know..

today my father in law told my wife that his friend that WORKS IN IMMIGRATION said I dont need a green card since we are married..

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

I love it when it hear "so are you an American Citizen now, seeing as you married an American??".......... I have to keep telling them all... "Negative Rubber Ducky!"

Aug/2001: We met, started dating long distance style and lots of weekend sleepovers!!!

May 16/2004: Married, and still doing weekend sleepovers

Mar 13/2006: Sent off I-130

Mar 28/2006: Rec'vd NOA1

July 7/2006: Rec'vd NOA2

Aug 29/2006: Rec'vd IV Bill

Sep 12-2006: Pay IV Bill

Mar 30/2007: Case Completed at NVC

Jul 18/2007: Case left NVC on way to Montreal

Aug 31/2007: Rec'vd 1st interview letter (the one they DIDN'T send me, due to NVC having my address tagged as bad---this one was hubby's that I got 5 weeks late.)

Aug 9/2007 : 1st Interview Date (of course I missed it)

Sep 15/2007: Rec'vd 2nd interview letter

Sep 26/2007: Medical Appt booked

Oct 5/2007: 2nd Interview scheduled in Montreal

Oct 5/2007: Approved!!!!!!!

Oct 11/2007: Recv'd Visa in hand after hearing doorbell ring

Oct 21/2007: Activated visa

Nov 20/2007: Applied for SSN because it wasn't done for me... UGH!!!

Dec 03/2007: Received SSN in mail... YAHOO!

Apr 11/2008: GC finally arrived

Timeline

Even better when it comes from someone at immigration,lol Enjoy the move.

At POE ur just going to state ur here to activate the visa! Are u flying or driving?? They will take the do not open envelope, maybe ask a few questions, finger print ya, stamp the passport and thats about it. very easy.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only recieved my passport and my "do not open" package. I seem to recall a single slip of paper with instructions to not open the sealed envelope, and perhaps something about activating the visa (memory failing me) but other than that- no further instructions.

I also had an old SSN in a formerly married name - and the number was reused and i was issued a new card.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

We are driving! That's it? Just tell them that we're doing the Visa Thang and it will all work out?

Do we need to make a manifest or anything?

Everything else we've done for immigration has come with pages and pages of instructions, so getting this package without being bossed around is unsettling! LOL!

Even better when it comes from someone at immigration,lol Enjoy the move.

At POE ur just going to state ur here to activate the visa! Are u flying or driving?? They will take the do not open envelope, maybe ask a few questions, finger print ya, stamp the passport and thats about it. very easy.

Awesome news about the SSN! :thumbs:

Funny how there are no strict instructions on moving and bringing your stuff over and all. I've become so obsessed with doing it right and doing it right the first time, I'm used to reading and rereading directions twelve times before I do anything.

I only recieved my passport and my "do not open" package. I seem to recall a single slip of paper with instructions to not open the sealed envelope, and perhaps something about activating the visa (memory failing me) but other than that- no further instructions.

I also had an old SSN in a formerly married name - and the number was reused and i was issued a new card.

Hope it helps!

Timeline

Hey d

here's the list that ABF gave us. our manifest was fairly lame-15 boxes books, 10 boxes kitchen, 10 boxes clothes, and electronics. I filled it out after packing for basically 2 days straight and just didn't care anymore. Everything was in my name as a returning citizen rather than in the hubby's name, which you could do too. maybe that makes it a little easier? the hubby still had the car, so the one border guard that wasn't working on importing the hubby offered to fill out a reimportation form for the car. This is really the least painful part of the process.

Requirements for shipping household goods from Canada into United States:

1. Proof of Status - VISA, Passport and Birth Certificate. You must have a picture ID. The local ABF terminal will need photocopies of these when the shipment is picked up.

2. A complete itemized list of your items with an approximate dollar value of the shipment.

3. A completed U.S. Customs Form 3299, https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getform...f-3299-form.xft

4. You will need to supply all of the above documents to the driver upon pick up of the loaded trailer. The driver can present the paperwork to the Customs & Border Protection Agency (CBP) for clearance at the border.

5. ABF is not responsible for clearing the shipment with the CBP.

6. If preferred, you may hire a broker for clearing of your items at the border.

7. If the shipment does not clear customs at the border, the shipment may move inbond, at the discretion of CBP, and must be cleared prior to delivery. A bond fee will be assessed.

8. The most common reasons a shipment fails to clear at the border are:

1. If paperwork is not filled out properly

2. All necessary paperwork is not provided

3. Improper/Insufficient identification

9. All U-Pack shipments are quoted in U.S. dollars. Any applicable custom fees are not included.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

Hey d

here's the list that ABF gave us. our manifest was fairly lame-15 boxes books, 10 boxes kitchen, 10 boxes clothes, and electronics. I filled it out after packing for basically 2 days straight and just didn't care anymore. Everything was in my name as a returning citizen rather than in the hubby's name, which you could do too. maybe that makes it a little easier? the hubby still had the car, so the one border guard that wasn't working on importing the hubby offered to fill out a reimportation form for the car. This is really the least painful part of the process.

Requirements for shipping household goods from Canada into United States:

1. Proof of Status - VISA, Passport and Birth Certificate. You must have a picture ID. The local ABF terminal will need photocopies of these when the shipment is picked up.

2. A complete itemized list of your items with an approximate dollar value of the shipment.

3. A completed U.S. Customs Form 3299, https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getform...f-3299-form.xft

4. You will need to supply all of the above documents to the driver upon pick up of the loaded trailer. The driver can present the paperwork to the Customs & Border Protection Agency (CBP) for clearance at the border.

5. ABF is not responsible for clearing the shipment with the CBP.

6. If preferred, you may hire a broker for clearing of your items at the border.

7. If the shipment does not clear customs at the border, the shipment may move inbond, at the discretion of CBP, and must be cleared prior to delivery. A bond fee will be assessed.

8. The most common reasons a shipment fails to clear at the border are:

1. If paperwork is not filled out properly

2. All necessary paperwork is not provided

3. Improper/Insufficient identification

9. All U-Pack shipments are quoted in U.S. dollars. Any applicable custom fees are not included.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

Congratulations Djc!!!! :dance:

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations Djc :thumbs:

but, i just want to ask you a qustion ???

how long did take your visa when we gat in the mail .. 'cuz my husband he gat improved on OCt 30, and they tooke his tarvel documnet cuze he dosent have a passport and they told him we going sent it in the mail within 2 weeks now it been more then that and we didnt gat it :crying:

Timeline
I love it when it hear "so are you an American Citizen now, seeing as you married an American??".......... I have to keep telling them all... "Negative Rubber Ducky!"

I got 2 do not open envelops and nothing else. i did my POE detroit wnd they were suprise that i had 2. As it turns out one was for K3, a visa i never followed up on .

Sent I-130 ---october 23rd 2006

NO1 --- November 9th 2006

RFE for marriage certificate--- Jan 03 2007

RFE sent JAN 10th 2007

NO2 Jan 28th 2007

Sent DS3020 March 14th 2007 via email

Email accepted --- March 18th 2007

Sent both I864 and DS230 April 23rd 2007

RFE For both I864 and DS230 may 10th 2007

RFE reply Sent on may 14th 2007

Case completed May 29th 2007

Medicals: October 2nd 2007

Interview: November 27th 2007 *** APROVED

Visa received November 29th 2007

POE:Detroit December 4th, 2007

Applied for SSN: December 5th, 2007 Pending

SSN Received: December 12, 2007

Green card Received: December 29,2007

I751 September 8, 2009

Biometrics October 22, 2009

I-751 Approved November 18th, 2009

Done for good!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.