Luckyswife2b

Ghana Consulate New Rules!!! Please Read!!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

US DIPLOMATIC MISSION TO GHANA

US Diplomatic Mission

US CITIZENS SERVICES

VISA SERVICES

NIV APPOINTMENTS

STUDENTS

EMERGENCIES

FAQS

PROCESSING TIMES

VISA WAIVER PROGRAM

(VWP)

Mailing Address from

the United States:

Consular Section

US Dept. of State

2020 Accra Place

Washington, DC

20521-2020

Mailing Address in Ghana

Consular Section

US Embassy

P.O. Box GP 194

Accra, Ghana

Return to Home Page

Non-Immigrant Visa Application Frequently Asked Questions

No. 19 Fifth Link Rd. Cantonments, Accra. Email: consulateaccra@state.gov

How can I schedule an appointment for a visa interview?

CLICK HERE to begin the application process

What should I do if I lost my appointment password?

Use your original receipt from Standard Chartered bank and schedule a new appointment for yourself. The Consulate cannot supply you with your password.

How can I change my appointment date/time?

You may change or cancel your appointment any time, by going to the appointment page, online, using the identification code and password you received on your appointment confirmation page.

Do my children need to appear in person for the visa interview?

Children under 14 years of age need not appear in person for the interview. However, if adults are applying for visas and at the same time seek visas for their child(ren) under age 14 then appointments must be made for both the parent(s) and the child(ren).

What should I bring with me to the visa interview?

No more than 30 minutes before your scheduled interview date and time, please bring the completed application forms, a valid passport, 2 current ID size photos on a white background, and any supporting documents you might need.

Documents to Consider Bringing (Please note that the documents listed below are only suggestions. Visa applicants must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Consular Officer, their qualifications for the visa.)

1. Visitors for Pleasure (Tourists)

- Documents explaining the purpose of your trip: You must be able to demonstrate that there is a legitimate reason for your travel, that the expense of your travel is reasonable given your economic circumstances, and that your circumstances and experience correspond with your proposed purpose of travel.

-Documents showing financial ties to Ghana: Job letters; pay slips detailing your salary. Bank statements sometimes are helpful. Other evidence of financial holdings may be helpful. You need to show that you can afford the trip, and that your financial ties are sufficient to compel you back to Ghana after your visit. In the absence of strong financial ties, you may need to demonstrate exceptionally strong family and social ties.

- Documents explaining your family ties to Ghana: Marriage certificate, birth certificates of your children, or evidence of your spouse's employment.

- Documents explaining your social ties to Ghana: This may be a letter or certificate proving membership in an organization, such as a club or church. Perhaps you can provide proof that you are a community leader who can only be away from Ghana for a temporary period of time.

2. Visitors for Business

- The same documents suggested above.

- Proof that you will engage in a legitimate business activity in the U.S. that is temporary in nature;

- Proof that you have the funds necessary to pay for the trip and to make any intended purchases while there;

- Proof that your presence is required in the U.S. to complete or maintain your business.

3. Visitors for Educational Purposes (Students)

- The same documents suggested above.

- The original Form I-20 issued by the school you wish to attend (required);

- Transcripts from the last school you attended in Ghana and/or your degree or diploma showing that you have completed your studies in Ghana;

- Proof that you or your sponsor can afford to pay for your education in the U.S. (you must show funds available to pay for the first year of study and demonstrate an ability to acquire funds to pay for all subsequent years of study). Details of any scholarship, fellowship, or work-study you have been awarded by the school in the United States.

What is necessary to qualify for a U.S. visitor visa?

When applying for visas for tourism, business, or study, you will be required to demonstrate that your travel is for legitimate purposes, that you can support yourself, and that you would return to Ghana without violating the conditions of a visa.

IMPORTANT: Please do NOT send any documents to us by mail, fax or e-mail, and do NOT have other people (your sponsor, for example) send documents directly to us. You may bring any documents you would like with you to the interview, but do NOT send us documents ahead of time.

Why was I refused a U.S. visa?

Please refer to the U.S. Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/denials/denials_1361.html

Where is Consulate Accra located?

Our office is located at No. 19, Fifth Link Road, Cantonments, near the Dubois Center.

How can I contact Consulate Accra?

The best way to contact the Consular Section is via e-mail at consulateaccra@state.gov. Please note the nature of your request in the subject line of your email:

For questions on visitor visas, please write NIV.

For immigrant visa questions, please write IV.

For questions pertaining to American Citizens in Ghana, please write ACS.

Useful Links

For visa information, go to http://travel.state.gov/visa/index.html

For visa overview, go to Destination USA http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/index.html

For the U.S. Department of State homepage, go to http://www.state.gov/

For information on the United States, go to USInfo.state.gov

For the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) homepage, go to http://www.dhs.gov

For DHS USCIS, go to http://uscis.gov

For DHS- US-VISIT, go to http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=91

For DHS- CBP, go to http://cbp.gov/ -

For First Gov Website, go to http://www.firstgov.gov

Last updated: 12/03/2007 13:18:02

Links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.

Published by the Public Affairs Section, US Diplomatic Mission, Ghana

Please send your comments to the Webmaster

Privacy Notice

March 1 2007: Began taking an interest in each other online

June 25-July 10 2007: Met Lucky in Person for 1st Time and Stayed Together in Ghana with my father and son!

I-129F Sent : 7/25/07

I-129F NOA1 : 8/1/07

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 12/7/07!!!! Yay!!!! :D

NVC Received : 12/14/07

NVC Left : 12/17/07

Consulate Received : 12/17/07

Packet 3 Received : 2/21/08

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2/21/08

Interview Date : 6/16/08

Visa Received :6/27/08

US Entry : 6/29/08

Marriage :6/29/08 by my pastor father before God

Public expensive marriage: 7/26/08 :)

Pregnant: 7/30/08

Found out It's a GIRL: 11/17/08

Baby Shakaya's Due Date: 4/22/09

e9969b19285f01d1a725be2d554c7787.gif

Timeline

Sorry everyone,

It did not paste as neatly as I had hoped. :whistle:

Here is the new process:

Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV) Procedures

```NOTE CHANGE IN VISA POLICY```

The Consular Section is altering its nonimmigrant visa interview appointment schedule to increase the efficiency of post’s visa operations. Effective November 1, all categories of U.S. visa applicants must schedule visa interview appointments on-line.

This includes all students, petition-based visas, crew members, and five year visa renewals. Please note that we will no longer have special times reserved for students or visa renewals, although we may introduce special times for student visa interviews during peak demand periods. Interviews for all nonimmigrant visa applicants will be conducted in the morning, Monday through Thursday.

You must use the Electronic Visa Application Form from the website to get your barcode number. Without a barcode number you cannot make an appointment.

All Applicants

NIV Appointments – Now Just 3 Easy Steps

Step One: Pay your Machine Readable Visa (MRV) application fee at Standard Chartered Bank; please note that MRV receipt are only valid for one year- you must book for appointment within a year of paying the MRV fee.

Step Two: Fill out your DS-156 form and any supplemental forms online. You must fill out your non-immigrant visa application (DS-156 and, if applicable, DS-157) on a computer. Hand written applications or applications typed on a typewriter are not acceptable, and you will not be admitted for your interview if you bring these. Schedule your appointment online.

Step Three: Appear at the Consulate for your interview fully prepared. Applicants should arrive at the consulate, no sooner than 30 minutes before the appointment time.You will not be admitted for an interview more than 30 minutes prior to your appointment time.

CLICK HERE TO BEGIN THE NIV APPOINTMENT PROCESS

Students

Emergencies and Other Special Cases

Visa Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

NIV Appointment Availability and Processing Times

June 25-July 10 2007: Met Lucky in Person for 1st Time and Stayed Together in Ghana with my father and son!

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 Sent :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I may be wrong but this does not seem to apply to K visas. There is no mention of police certificates, medicals, etc or the DS-156K.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
I may be wrong but this does not seem to apply to K visas. There is no mention of police certificates, medicals, etc or the DS-156K.

no... you're prob right..... I am just now realizing that this seems to only pertain to Student or Visitor visas... WTH???? :wacko:

AI AI AI .... this is so frustrating... just when I think we get a BREAK!!! HMMMPH!!!

Did u visit the website?? Do you think the MAKING AN APPT ONLINE DOES NOT PERTAIN TO US ???? so confusing........

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 Sent :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

no... you're prob right..... I am just now realizing that this seems to only pertain to Student or Visitor visas... WTH???? :wacko:

AI AI AI .... this is so frustrating... just when I think we get a BREAK!!! HMMMPH!!!

Did u visit the website?? Do you think the MAKING AN APPT ONLINE DOES NOT PERTAIN TO US ???? so confusing........

Unfortunately it does not apply to us. We have to wait to go opick up the packets from the embassy and that is when we get the interview date.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We are nonimmigrant visas that are treated like immigrant visas. Even the paperwork Inusah got had the K3 crossed out on it. They don't even use different paperwork for the K1.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.