Luckyswife2b

Safe For American Fiance to Travel Longterm to Fiance's Country??

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hey All!!!

Any advice on the pros and cons of the American fiance traveling to and STAYING OVERSEAS during the approval process???

:idea:

If we need to prove our work documentation (even if we have a very qualified co-sponsor), would living overseas be a bad idea (since we would consequently be out of work for that time)???

How does immigration feel about this??

Anyone experience anything like this or hear of other stories where the fiance stayed overseas with the other fiancee until he/she got his/her visa?????

:help:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 1 2007: Began taking an interest in each other online

June 25-July 10 2007: Met Lucky in Person for 1st Time and Stayed Together in Ghana with my father and son!

I-129F Sent : 7/25/07

I-129F NOA1 : 8/1/07

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 12/7/07!!!! Yay!!!! :D

NVC Received : 12/14/07

NVC Left : 12/17/07

Consulate Received : 12/17/07

Packet 3 Received : 2/21/08

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2/21/08

Interview Date : 6/16/08

Visa Received :6/27/08

US Entry : 6/29/08

Marriage :6/29/08 by my pastor father before God

Public expensive marriage: 7/26/08 :)

Pregnant: 7/30/08

Found out It's a GIRL: 11/17/08

Baby Shakaya's Due Date: 4/22/09

e9969b19285f01d1a725be2d554c7787.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am in the UK with my fiance, we petitioned in July (whilst I was home) and I returned to the UK in early October, I plan on staying until he gets his visa...so I will have said GAP in my employment record. One (perhaps obvious) pro is that it takes a lot of the misery out of the wait! One serious con; in the UK, with the exchange rate being so bad (from an American point of view) and not being able to work we are taking a financial hit.

This is the conclusion we have come to based on our situation.

Every persons financial situation is different. In this process employment history is not the only factor, there are University students and retired people petitioning and getting approvals. While I am sure that being employed at this stage (as the USC) could only be helpful when it comes to the affidavit of support part of the process, I expect that, as long as I have a qualified co-sponsor things should be fine. I think the main concern for the US government is the point that the beneficiary not become a burden on the system, any co-sponsor is entering into the same legal obligation as am I to ensure that this does not happen.....so if I do not meet the requirements and my co-sponsor does then I do not see it being a problem. I do plan to return to work as soon as we return to the US and I expect this will help when it comes to the AOS part of the process, but I think the Embassy will be fine with granting the K-1 based on mine and my co-sponsors I-134.

That being said I have heard of petitioners that are on public assistance being denied, even though they have a qualified co-sponsor. But I do not feel that this has any bearing to our particular situation.

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Timeline
I am in the UK with my fiance, we petitioned in July (whilst I was home) and I returned to the UK in early October, I plan on staying until he gets his visa...so I will have said GAP in my employment record. One (perhaps obvious) pro is that it takes a lot of the misery out of the wait! One serious con; in the UK, with the exchange rate being so bad (from an American point of view) and not being able to work we are taking a financial hit.

Every persons financial situation is different. In this process employment history is not the only factor, there are University students and retired people petitioning and getting approvals. While I am sure that being employed at this stage (as the USC) could only be helpful when it comes to the affidavit of support part of the process, I expect that, as long as I have a qualified co-sponsor things should be fine. I think the main concern for the US government is the point that the beneficiary not become a burden on the system, any co-sponsor is entering into the same legal obligation as am I to ensure that this does not happen.....so if I do not meet the requirements and my co-sponsor does then I do not see it being a problem. I do plan to return to work as soon as we return to the US and I expect this will help when it comes to the AOS part of the process, but I think the Embassy will be fine with granting the K-1 based on mine and my co-sponsors I-134.

That being said I have heard of petitioners that are on public assistance being denied, even though they have a qualified co-sponsor. But I do not feel that this has any bearing to our particular situation.

Thanks so much for your well articulated reply....

I have a couple issues in mind though regarding my own situation.... of course, you bring a good point: everyone's situation is different! :)

But my situation is this....

1) I am on MEDICAID ... state govt health insurance... I began receiving it while I was pregnant with my SON and to this day (7 yrs later), both myself and my son rely on govt assistance medical insurance 100%...

I am hoping that

a) it's ok that I have a son and he is not legally my fiance's biological son??????????

and

B) I am on medicaid.. state govt insurance because I have been a fulltime college student and not been working .... (I plan to change that as I'm looking for a FULLTIME JOB ASAP however... only due to the visa issues)

Thanks again.... I am hoping at least that I can go back to ghana with my son to stay with my dear fiance at least a few wks prior to his interview date... and hope to stay through his visa so we can fly over the ATLANTIC TOGETHER!!!!!! :D

Any further advice is still soooooooooooo much appreciated... ;)

Thanks guys!!!! :thumbs:

June 25-July 10 2007: Met Lucky in Person for 1st Time and Stayed Together in Ghana with my father and son!

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 Sent :

Timeline

I have a couple issues in mind though regarding my own situation.... of course, you bring a good point: everyone's situation is different! :)

1) I am on MEDICAID ... state govt health insurance... I began receiving it while I was pregnant with my SON and to this day (7 yrs later), both myself and my son rely on govt assistance medical insurance 100%...

I am hoping that

a) it's ok that I have a son and he is not legally my fiance's biological son??????????

and

B) I am on medicaid.. state govt insurance because I have been a fulltime college student and not been working .... (I plan to change that as I'm looking for a FULLTIME JOB ASAP however... only due to the visa issues)

Thanks again.... I am hoping at least that I can go back to ghana with my son to stay with my dear fiance at least a few wks prior to his interview date... and hope to stay through his visa so we can fly over the ATLANTIC TOGETHER!!!!!! :D

Still quite stressed about this........... :unsure:

I have heard on here that it helps extraordinarilly to have the USC fiance there during the interview (not to mention I am sure it doesn't hurt the SO for emotional support!) ;)

But I am worrying that at the interview they may ask him "How many times has your fiance visited you here in ghana?" and I have only come one time..... :/

Then again, I have to work in order to prove I can financially support him (even though I have a co-sponsor who is very financially well off... my father!???)..... so how can I work FT and visit him for interview??? Unless I can get a 2 week paid vacation from the job I DONT YET HAVE!!!!! :blush:

AUGH.... SO FRUSTRATING!!! Anyone have any MORE advice for this discussion?

I am really stressing out!!!

Thanks!!!

<3 Stephanie and Lucky

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 Sent :

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am hoping that

and

I have heard on here that it helps extraordinarilly to have the USC fiance there during the interview (not to mention I am sure it doesn't hurt the SO for emotional support!) ;)

But I am worrying that at the interview they may ask him "How many times has your fiance visited you here in ghana?" and I have only come one time..... :/

Then again, I have to work in order to prove I can financially support him (even though I have a co-sponsor who is very financially well off... my father!???)..... so how can I work FT and visit him for interview??? Unless I can get a 2 week paid vacation from the job I DONT YET HAVE!!!!! :blush:

Thanks!!!

<3 Stephanie and Lucky

I have heard of approval with just one visit. Those people usually have extensive phone, IM's, e-mails, etc. proof. I would say it won't be easy; but can be done.

I did not go to the interview with Andre. I knew he could handle it.

It will be okay. Hang in there.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks!!!

<3 Stephanie and Lucky

While it probably helps to have the USC at the interview, not everyone does that and people are still approved. The proof of having a relationship is not only in the number of visits but also communication. Besides our first meeting, I have been back to see my fiance once. We also talk and text everyday, send each other snail mail, I have pictures that were taken when he proposed to me in front of his friends, pictures of him with my cousin, my sisters and friend and our own pictures.

I think that the COs would not begrudge you having only visited once if you have other kinds of proof to back up your relationship.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

Every consulate is different.....................oh how many times must we articulate this?

What works for Ghana may not work in the UK may not work in China may not work in Kiev may not work in Manila etc. etc. etc.

You need to familiarize yourself with processes and procedures for that consulate - discover how consular officers there 'feel' about the affidavit of support - what the approval rate is for those with co-sponsors.

What is 'on Medicaid'? What do you receive and where are your checks from?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.