Kaching

Some Questions

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone :)

Not really comfortable about doing this but I do need some or alot of questions answered :)

Thanks in advance :D

Here we go lol

When you fill up the forms do you send all of them at once?

Can you just send in the AOS first?

When I fill up te N600 form for my son does he lose his Canadian Citizenship?

If my passport and all my ID have my maiden name and not my married name will that cause a problem with the forms and if yes then what do I need to do?

This is all i have at the top of my head, I will have more lol and thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is best to send in all of the AOS related forms at once. If they don't get them, they will send you an RFE and place the processing of your application on hold until they do receive them. For things like the Employment Authorization or Advance Parole, you can send those in later if you wish, although since there is no fee attached you might as well complete them right away and send them off to get the ball rolling. The EAD can be useful for getting your Social Security Card if you don't have it already, or to get your driver's license in your state.

The only way your son would lose his Canadian citizenship is for him to renounce it to the Canadian government. The US cannot take away his Canadian citizenship.

It should not be a problem to send in your identification in your maiden name because you will be sending in your marriage certificate showing your new last name. Complete the AOS application in the name you wish to use now as that is how your green card will be printed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
When I fill up te N600 form for my son does he lose his Canadian Citizenship?

Hi kaching,

Welcome.

Just one thing to add, for your Son, why are you using an N-600? If he is a U.S. Citizen and you are just trying to document it you can always just apply for a passport for him.

The N-600 is just a certificate of citizenship, it doesn't have any really useful purpose, unlike a passport - anyway just thought I would throw that out there.

For things like the Employment Authorization or Advance Parole, you can send those in later if you wish, although since there is no fee attached you might as well complete them right away and send them off to get the ball rolling. The EAD can be useful for getting your Social Security Card if you don't have it already, or to get your driver's license in your state.

Ok see this is where i'm confused, I thought it was a 340$ fee for that.

I don't have a SSN and I was wondering how do we go about getting a joint account if you need that? Is there a bank in the US that lets you do it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had no problems adding me to my husband's account at the Bank of America before I got my SSN. I just had to notify them when I did get my number so they could add the information to their files. You can let them know that you are just waiting for your proof of immigration status that you can supply to the Social Security Administration (your EAD or green card) to get your SSN and you shouldn't have a problem. Hopefully at least one of those will arrive within 3 months (usually the EAD).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

We had no problems adding me to my husband's account at the Bank of America before I got my SSN. I just had to notify them when I did get my number so they could add the information to their files. You can let them know that you are just waiting for your proof of immigration status that you can supply to the Social Security Administration (your EAD or green card) to get your SSN and you shouldn't have a problem. Hopefully at least one of those will arrive within 3 months (usually the EAD).

Ok I will definately do that then and if not we will go to Bank of America lol

Now are you dual? Do you still have to file taxes in Canada and the USA or just USA etc. They sure don't make it easy.

Also when i do the Police check up do i have to send that in my files or only when i go to my interview?

See i'm all lost and confused, I don't do forms very good I learnt lol

Timeline
Hi thanks for answering my questions

My son was born in canada, when we called the USCIS the last said that we should file the N600 for him. So if not that then what form should we file?

Generally speaking if you can qualify for an N-600 you can qualify for a passport. I think the exception is in naturalization cases (which is not your case I assume)

Here is an excerpt from the passport application instructions (page 2):

1. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP

Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below

b. APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below:

(2) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad to One U.S. Citizen Parent.

Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240), Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545),

OR

1. Your foreign birth certificate,

2. Proof of citizenship of your parent,

3. An affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parent's periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

Timeline
Ok well we are in the US already so if I file a consular report do I have to send it to Canada or to the US?

Thanks alot i really do appreciate all your help, I just feel so overwhelmed :)

Hi Kaching,

You can't file the report now, since you aren't in Canada.

What you can do is apply for a passport for your Son, instead of an N-600 (which is much more costly).

In order to do that you must provide those three pieces of info I mentioned above, with the passport application.

I assume your Husband grew up in the U.S., therefore he can sign the affidavit stating how long he was present/living in the U.S..

A passport application is also a lot less confusing than an N-600 I think.

Timeline
Oh thank you so much!!! That's one load off my shoulders!!! *hugs*

Yes he's american through and through lol

Much thanks again really :D

You're welcome! Don't hesitate to ask questions, we are pretty friendly and mostly don't yell at people :blink:

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Ok something else real quick, I don't have a SSN for him, do i need to get that before I apply? He does have his SIN from Canada which i doubt will help him for this lol

I was looking around the site at forms and stuff, just to make sure, I don't need to file a I-130 for him right?

Hi sorry, didn't see the SSN question, we must have been posting at the same time.

No, he doesn't need the SSN first, in fact he won't be able to get one without proof of his U.S. citizenship (the passport). No you don't need to submit an I-130 for him (does not apply in your Son's case).

Those three items I mentioned, for his passport application, I'll explain them a little better, this is what you will need to gather:

1. Fill out the passport application for your son, including photos etc, per the instructions.

2. Your Son's Canadian birth certificate, they will want the long form, at the very least the one that has you and your Husband names listed as the parents.

3. Proof of your Husband's U.S. Citizenship (his passport or birth certificate etc)

4. An affidavit showing all of your Husband's periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your Son's birth. So basically he will have to write out everywhere he has lived in the U.S. - it could be something as simple as:

I (Husband's name) was born in Milwaukee WI U.S.A. on March 1st 1972.

I lived in:

Milwaukee WI U.S.A. from March 1st 1972 until June 9th 2000.

Singapore from June 10th 2000 until August 10th 2000.

From August 11th of 2000 to October 1st 2000 (my Son's birthdate) I resided in Los Angeles California, U.S.A.

I certify this to be true:

Signature

Husband's full name printed

Signed the 16th day of November 2007 at Los Angeles CA, U.S.A.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.