Mandysbaby

Jobs requiring high school diploma/GED??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

What do you do if a certain job requires a high school diploma or GED? Obviously my DH does not have either since he's from Scotland. Do these rules still apply to someone applying that does not have either? Just curious.

Edited by Mandysbaby

Filed: Other Timeline
What do you do if a certain job requires a high school diploma or GED? Obviously my DH does not have either since he's from Scotland. Do these rules still apply to someone applying that does not have either? Just curious.

Well, most jobs nowadays require at least a high school diploma. At the time I was on my job hunt I added my higher educational background to my resume.

The employer normally accepts that because they know that their is also some kind of education in other countries. If an employer needs some clarification your DH(?) can compare his educational background with the level of education he would have in the united states.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I just done the same as the previous poster. I moved from Scotland, but I put in my college education and that kind of implied that I had at least a High School Diploma equivalent. If he doesn't have that just put down his Scottish qualifications and put equivalent to High School Diploma. there are also companies that will take your qualifications and accurately work out what you have in American qualifications, personally I think it is a waste of money.

There is also stereotype that I have encountered that British people are naturally intelligent (far from true) and this seems to help out, tell him to play to British stereotypes.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What qualifications does he have? At a basic level 5 O Levels would be one up on a High School Diploma.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

ok, I just asked him what level he completed at and he said he finished his standards? He said he wasn't required to go onto highers so he left. Obviously no college degree on his end but I still don't know where him finishing his standards puts him at grade level wise here.

Filed: Other Timeline
ok, I just asked him what level he completed at and he said he finished his standards? He said he wasn't required to go onto highers so he left. Obviously no college degree on his end but I still don't know where him finishing his standards puts him at grade level wise here.

I don't know how long they go to school where he is from. But the maximum I can read out of that is the equivalent to high school diploma with no further education.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Timeline

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQQuickGuide.pdf

I agree with the other poster, he should be able to say he has a HSD, and at that level nobody is likely to know better.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In England, I know the standars would be through high school. They only attend up til age 16, then it's off to college. Tell him just to prepare a CV (this is what they call a resume) listing his schools and previous employment. If he would be able to obtain by mail, fax, or email a transcript of his school grades, then that may help him out as well. Oh, yeah, and be sure to tell him.....Alba Gu Brath!! lol ;) (my ancestors were from Scotland..what can I say..lol)

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Timeline

I did not leave School until 18. Which was and is the norm at my School.

Scottish education system is different to the English one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.