garya505

What would happen in this case?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Someone asked me this and I really don't know the answer. I woman enters the US on a K1 VISA. After the marriage but before AOS, the woman has trouble adjusting to life in the US decides to return to her country. There are no children involved. What will be the result of this, as far as USCIS or DHS are concerned?

Someone asked me this and I really don't know the answer. I woman enters the US on a K1 VISA. After the marriage but before AOS, the woman has trouble adjusting to life in the US decides to return to her country. There are no children involved. What will be the result of this, as far as USCIS or DHS are concerned?

I think it is called abandonment of AOS, not 100% sure.

Our Timeline

08/25/04 Arrived in US

06/25/07 I- 693 Medical completed

07/05/07 AOS Package sent (I-130,I-485,I-864,I-765,I-693)

07/09/07 Chicago Received Package (day 1)

07/17/07 Date of NOA1's (I-130,I-485,I-765)

07/20/07 Received NOA1's

07/23/07 Received ASC Appointment Letter

08/16/07 Biometrics Appointment (day 39)

08/17/07 Can now check online status

09/13/07 EAD card production ordered via Email (day 67)

09/24/07 EAD card received in mail

09/25/07 Applied for SSN

10/05/07 Received SSN

10/18/07 AOS Interview - APPROVED (day 92)

10/22/07 Email Received - Welcome Letter on it's way - Approved

10/24/07 Card production ordered

10/25/07 Welcome to US letter arrived

10/30/07 GREENCARD ARRIVED IN MAIL (day 114)

Nothing will happen... USCIS will simply consider that she has abandoned the idea of requesting permanent residency, and if she ever wants to come back to the US to settle, she will need to apply for a K-3 or CR1.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Nothing will happen... USCIS will simply consider that she has abandoned the idea of requesting permanent residency, and if she ever wants to come back to the US to settle, she will need to apply for a K-3 or CR1.

Exactly. The expired K-1 may cause questions if she attempts to re-enter for visiting but does not make her ineligible for a tourist visa or future settlement visas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's what I was thinking. The question came from the husband of my wife's cousin. Apparently she is having some second thoughts about her decision and may decide to return to her home country. I advised him to wait on AOS until they resolve it, since there is no penalty for waiting a few months . If she decides to go, I advised him to get a divorce or annullment before she leaves.

I'm sorry to see this happen to them. They're both nice people but maybe not right for each other.

That's what I was thinking. The question came from the husband of my wife's cousin. Apparently she is having some second thoughts about her decision and may decide to return to her home country. I advised him to wait on AOS until they resolve it, since there is no penalty for waiting a few months . If she decides to go, I advised him to get a divorce or annullment before she leaves.

I'm sorry to see this happen to them. They're both nice people but maybe not right for each other.

There may be no "penalty" for waiting a few months to submit AOS, however she could be accruing overstay time which could result in a pretty hefty penalty as a result.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There may be no "penalty" for waiting a few months to submit AOS, however she could be accruing overstay time which could result in a pretty hefty penalty as a result.

They are already married, so staying a few months would not cause her to have an overstayas you can file aos anytime after marriage.

Edited by jerricho

They are already married, so staying a few months would not cause her to have an overstayas you can file aos anytime after marriage.

You're right. :bonk: Read better LaL!

Well, if she stays over the period indicated on her I-94 and decides to go home instead of filing for AOS, then the overstay will matter depending on how long it is. Overstay is only "forgiven" if the AOS is filed while the alien spouse is in the United States.

Edited by eau_xplain

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, if she stays over the period indicated on her I-94 and decides to go home instead of filing for AOS, then the overstay will matter depending on how long it is. Overstay is only "forgiven" if the AOS is filed while the alien spouse is in the United States.

Just what I was going to say!

If she stays for a while, it works out and they then file for AOS she'll be fine. If she stays for a while, it doesn't work out and she has stayed beyond the date indicated on her I-94, then she will accrue overstay and may have problems coming back to the USA in the future should she wish to do so.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.