StateSide

Latin american names and filling our forms

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all... I had this posted in the general discussion until someone was kind enough to point me to this forum...

My fiance is from Colombia. I am confused about their names and what to put down as their first name and last name. My fience has a first name and two last names. Her first last name is her fathers last name and her second last name is her mothers last name. It is my understanding that when she comes to America her mothers last name will be dropped. Now her children have two first names and two last names. It is my understanding that there is no middle last name as we know it here in America.

I paid Bob at Colombian Services to complete the papers for my fiance in Bogota and I have received her G-325A from him.

Under the "Family" name section of the I-129F, Bob wrote her fathers last name in capitals and in the same box also wrote her mothers last name in both upper and lower case. When I try to do this on the electronic version of the I-129F, it will only accept capitals.

Do I write both of her last names in capitals or do I leave this section blank and write it in following the same structure that bob used on her G-325A with black ink?

On the I-129F it asks for her childern's names in the format, (Name First/Middle/Last). I can not fit all of their two first names and two last names in this section and I was trying to avoid sending another "attachment document".

What if I simply write in smaller letters their names with black ink?

Do I write (First First/LAST Last)?

Now the visa pictures and "together" pictures...

I may have totally messed up here but would rather ask now that to get something rejected. I wrote on the back of the visa pictures only her Fathers last name in capitals and her first name in upper and lower case. I am now thinking I should have put both of her last names in the format that Bob used on the G-325A. (LAST Last, First).

Can I use white out and re write this?

Should I just draw a line through my mistake and write the correction below it?

Should i have her go take more visa photos and pay fifty bucks to have them shipped to me again?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Stateside

Filed: Timeline

HI THERE

IT IS KIND OF CONFUSING HOW COLOMBIAN PEOPLE CARRIES WITH BOTH PARENTS LAST NAMES .

WE ARE FILLING FOR A K-3 BUT THE FORMS ARE ALIKE AND WHAT THE ATTORNEY TOLD US TO DO WAS TO TAKE THE FIRST LAST THE FATHER LAST NAME AND MAKE IT MY MIDDLE NAME AND THE LASTNAME FOR REAL THE MOTHER'S TO BE MY LAST NAME THAT WAY THERE IS NO CONFUSION.

WHEN YOU GET MARRIED SHE SUPPOSE TO DROP THE MOTHER'S LAST NAME AND TAKE THE HUSBAND'S OR IF SHE WANTS TO SHE CAN DROP BOTH .

MY NAME USED TO BE DILIRENE ASPRILLA CARABALI .NOW AS A MARRIED WOMAN IT GOES AS DILIRENE A.REARDEN THAT WAY MY FATHER'S LAST NAME LOOKS LIKE MY MIDDLE NAME .

The journey is over we are divorced now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I wrote down my husband's first name, N/A for middle and included both of his last names - those are his legal names.

When he was granted the K1 visa, the embassy decided to do things their own way....

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is not confusing at all if you break it down. In Colombia we have: First Name, Middle Name, Last Name (father's) Last Name (mother's). I don't know if it's out of respect towards both parents or what, but that's how it is. EX: Luisa María Ramírez García.

When filling out forms here in the States, your wives or future wives will use FIRST NAME, MIDDLE NAME, FATHER'S LAST NAME. That's it. EX: Luisa María Ramírez. The mother's last name is not valid here in this country so it's tossed.

Once you get married and if she wants to take your last name it will be: FIRST NAME, MIDDLE NAME, YOUR LAST NAME. EX: Luisa María Smith.

Also, in Colombia when women get married they have the choice of using FIRST NAME, MIDDLE NAME, FATHER'S LAST NAME then they add "De XXXX (husband's last name)" EX: Luisa María Ramírez de Escobar. The word "DE" which means "Property of", was first used centuries ago to show that the wife is now the husband's property and it's still used today. So in actuality her name means Luisa María Ramírez Property of Escobar.

Sick, I know. :rolleyes:

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.