StateSide

Colombian Names and filling out I-129F and G-325A

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all...

My fiance is from Colombia. I am confused about their names and what to put down as their first name and last name. My fience has a first name and two last names. Her first last name is her fathers last name and her second last name is her mothers last name. It is my understanding that when she comes to America her mothers last name will be dropped. Now her children have two first names and two last names. It is my understanding that there is no middle last name as we know it here in America.

I paid Bob at Colombian Services to complete the papers for my fiance in Bogota and I have received her G-325A from him.

Under the "Family" name section of the I-129F, Bob wrote her fathers last name in capitals and in the same box also wrote her mothers last name in both upper and lower case. When I try to do this on the electronic version of the I-129F, it will only accept capitals.

Do I write both of her last names in capitals or do I leave this section blank and write it in following the same structure that bob used on her G-325A with black ink?

On the I-129F it asks for her childern's names in the format, (Name First/Middle/Last). I can not fit all of their two first names and two last names in this section and I was trying to avoid sending another "attachment document".

What if I simply write in smaller letters their names with black ink?

Do I write (First First/LAST Last)?

Now the visa pictures and "together" pictures...

I may have totally messed up here but would rather ask now that to get something rejected. I wrote on the back of the visa pictures only her Fathers last name in capitals and her first name in upper and lower case. I am now thinking I should have put both of her last names in the format that Bob used on the G-325A. (LAST Last, First).

Can I use white out and re write this?

Should I just draw a line through my mistake and write the correction below it?

Should i have her go take more visa photos and pay fifty bucks to have them shipped to me again?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Stateside

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Hi all...

My fiance is from Colombia. I am confused about their names and what to put down as their first name and last name. My fience has a first name and two last names. Her first last name is her fathers last name and her second last name is her mothers last name. It is my understanding that when she comes to America her mothers last name will be dropped. Now her children have two first names and two last names. It is my understanding that there is no middle last name as we know it here in America.

I paid Bob at Colombian Services to complete the papers for my fiance in Bogota and I have received her G-325A from him.

Under the "Family" name section of the I-129F, Bob wrote her fathers last name in capitals and in the same box also wrote her mothers last name in both upper and lower case. When I try to do this on the electronic version of the I-129F, it will only accept capitals.

Do I write both of her last names in capitals or do I leave this section blank and write it in following the same structure that bob used on her G-325A with black ink?

On the I-129F it asks for her childern's names in the format, (Name First/Middle/Last). I can not fit all of their two first names and two last names in this section and I was trying to avoid sending another "attachment document".

What if I simply write in smaller letters their names with black ink?

Do I write (First First/LAST Last)?

Now the visa pictures and "together" pictures...

I may have totally messed up here but would rather ask now that to get something rejected. I wrote on the back of the visa pictures only her Fathers last name in capitals and her first name in upper and lower case. I am now thinking I should have put both of her last names in the format that Bob used on the G-325A. (LAST Last, First).

Can I use white out and re write this?

Should I just draw a line through my mistake and write the correction below it?

Should i have her go take more visa photos and pay fifty bucks to have them shipped to me again?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Stateside

maybe someone on the Latin America forum could answer this best for you.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=96

Nov 2nd 2006 met online

June 28th 2007 sent 1-129f to NSC

July 11th 2007 NOA-1 received date on NOA-1 (now at CSC)

July 19th 2007 NAO 1 Reciept date on NOA-1

Nov 21st 2007 NOA-2

Dec 13th 2007 - arrives at NVC

Dec 20th 2007 - leaves NVC on route to GUZ

March 10th 2008- P3 sent & returned

April 9th 2008- P-4

May 22nd 2008 interview

Tracking:

Filing to Noa -1 -13 days

NOA-1 to NOA-2 - 133 days

NOA-2 to NVC - 22 days

NVC Processing - 7 days

NVC to GUZ - 81 days

P-3 to interview - 73 days

Interview to visa - 10 days

Filing to visa- 341 days

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Ted,

I think you are stressing out over NOTHING. If the form asks for CAPS...fill it out in CAPS. Regarding the names...I think you are incorrect. For example: My daughter's name is "Maria Alejandra" which is two names. Maria is her first name, Alejandra is her middle name. She only gets called "Maria Alejandra" when her mama is upset with her!!! Otherwise, it is just Maria. My wife is the same way...her name is: Saida Karina. She dislikes the name Saida (so do I) so, she uses Karina. Even me...I am the same way...my name is: Francis Craig. I dislike the name Francis (so does she) and thus, I use Craig. And, I am the USC. Nearly everyone has a first and middle name.

Regarding the last names: In Latin America, the last name is (for example: Alvarez-Uribe) Alvarez is the name of the father; Uribe, the mother. IF you cannot fit all the name into the box, I suggest you put as much into the box as you can...then, neatly print in black ink, the rest of the name. As I recall... I used all CAPTIAL letters on all the forms because it is easier to read...or the instructions said, "In CAPITAL letters."

I do not think the USCIS is going to reject something like a photo because you used a combination of CAPS and small letters. As long as it is readable, that is what is important. There are many more things to "stress out" about than this!!! Wait until you are in the time period between NOA-1 and NOA-2...then, stress out! You have not even filed your petitions yet. Or...wait until you file your petitions and start to wonder, "Where is my NOA-1? Have they cashed my check yet?, Why has it been two months and I have not heard anything from USCIS?" There are many people waiting for NOA-1's that filed in July, August and September. IF you filed NOW, there is no way to tell when you will receive your NOA-1. So....relax and begin your lessons on "Paciencia!" Read the "GUIDES" section on this website so you understand the entire process. It is logical and straightforward...the process. USCIS...another matter entirely! But, we will not get into that discussion now.

Sincere Regards and Best Wishes,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.