ajames79

ANY ONE From N.C who is going through AOS

21 posts in this topic

Just wanted to add something as we just got back from trying to get Chris' DL.

According to the guy who was serving us: Chris is not able to get a DL due to not having a valid VISA.

Yes he can work legally, yes he can have a social security card and pay taxes legally...but according to the copy sheet the gentleman was reading (for three minutes) it states that he can't get a DL.

I am so irritated at the moment. Hopefully the fact that we were transfered to Cali will mean out AOS will be sorted within the month...and that is just wishful.

But tell me this, how on earth do they expect people to pay for themselves to live if they can't drive to work legally...?

We don't live in a town that has public transportation...

We are doing this correctly, with the right paperwork, and waiting just like we should...we have the money to buy a car to help boost the economy which then would allow a job, to help pay for NC taxes. So how is it he can't have a DL. Backwards. :huh:

Gosh, it sounds insane! Now I'm worried because I'm planning to go for my license in Raleigh next week and I'm in the same situation - I have my EAD and social security number but I'm still pending AOS.

I'm wondering if, as your DMV guy said, your husband is not considered a resident then does it mean he can still use his overseas license to drive until his AOS is approved? The NC law just states that you are required to get an NC license within 60 days of becoming a resident. I notice there is hardly any information on the NC DMV site about international drivers.

I fully sympathise with your frustration! It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Just wanted to add something as we just got back from trying to get Chris' DL.

According to the guy who was serving us: Chris is not able to get a DL due to not having a valid VISA.

Yes he can work legally, yes he can have a social security card and pay taxes legally...but according to the copy sheet the gentleman was reading (for three minutes) it states that he can't get a DL.

I am so irritated at the moment. Hopefully the fact that we were transfered to Cali will mean out AOS will be sorted within the month...and that is just wishful.

But tell me this, how on earth do they expect people to pay for themselves to live if they can't drive to work legally...?

We don't live in a town that has public transportation...

We are doing this correctly, with the right paperwork, and waiting just like we should...we have the money to buy a car to help boost the economy which then would allow a job, to help pay for NC taxes. So how is it he can't have a DL. Backwards. :huh:

Gosh, it sounds insane! Now I'm worried because I'm planning to go for my license in Raleigh next week and I'm in the same situation - I have my EAD and social security number but I'm still pending AOS.

I'm wondering if, as your DMV guy said, your husband is not considered a resident then does it mean he can still use his overseas license to drive until his AOS is approved? The NC law just states that you are required to get an NC license within 60 days of becoming a resident. I notice there is hardly any information on the NC DMV site about international drivers.

I fully sympathise with your frustration! It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

DON'T WORRY..I feel like you will be fine.

I emailed the DOT and just got a reply today! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAY! I feel great cause I knew I was right! The local office is wrong and doesn't understand the paperwork. The gentleman got in touch with me today (from the DOT) and will be getting in touch with our local office to clear up the confusion. Best thing is Chris got his Perm Res Card yesterday and we got his DL today so...we won't have to deal with it again for 2 years. I would be worried about it if we had to go back and say umm sir, you are wrong, no give us his DL. Cause he might not be so nice to us!!

Ohh and according to our friend who is a Sheriff and the DMV our husbands (in my case) British DL doesn't work here. If they were pulled over they would get a ticket for "Driving without a License". Some states do allow them to be used our state does not. (cept for the 60 day limit I guess)

Good luck! I want to hear how it goes for you!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

DON'T WORRY..I feel like you will be fine.

I emailed the DOT and just got a reply today! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAY! I feel great cause I knew I was right! The local office is wrong and doesn't understand the paperwork. The gentleman got in touch with me today (from the DOT) and will be getting in touch with our local office to clear up the confusion. Best thing is Chris got his Perm Res Card yesterday and we got his DL today so...we won't have to deal with it again for 2 years. I would be worried about it if we had to go back and say umm sir, you are wrong, no give us his DL. Cause he might not be so nice to us!!

Ohh and according to our friend who is a Sheriff and the DMV our husbands (in my case) British DL doesn't work here. If they were pulled over they would get a ticket for "Driving without a License". Some states do allow them to be used our state does not. (cept for the 60 day limit I guess)

Good luck! I want to hear how it goes for you!

Excellent! I'm glad you were right and not the guy otherwise getting an EAD here would be pretty much pointless! Thank you for letting me know - and congratulations on Chris getting his greencard!!!

I'm curious about the overseas license thing for North Carolina because I think I did read somewhere that they don't accept them in NC but then how do international tourists drive here!? I was just assuming that, if they don't consider me a resident until I have a greencard, then I'm considered a tourist so should be able to drive with my Australian license ... surely tourists are allowed to drive in NC!

Filed: Other Timeline

a tourist is a tourist and is usually not planning to stay longer than 60 days! If however you live here, you have to have an NC license within 60 days. Even someone whose moved here from another US state must have their license changed to an NC one within 60 days.

As was posted, the guy at the DMV had it wrong. To establish residency in the state (from my own experience) all you need is your ID and some "official" mail with your current NC address on it. I took my passport that had my K3 in it, and my NOA from my AOS application and my ITIN (I didn't have SSN yet) with me and that was all I needed.

For K1s its a bit different and you have to wait til you have your EAD though because the K1 is only valid 90 days.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

a tourist is a tourist and is usually not planning to stay longer than 60 days! If however you live here, you have to have an NC license within 60 days. Even someone whose moved here from another US state must have their license changed to an NC one within 60 days.

As was posted, the guy at the DMV had it wrong. To establish residency in the state (from my own experience) all you need is your ID and some "official" mail with your current NC address on it. I took my passport that had my K3 in it, and my NOA from my AOS application and my ITIN (I didn't have SSN yet) with me and that was all I needed.

For K1s its a bit different and you have to wait til you have your EAD though because the K1 is only valid 90 days.

Just a note. NC DMV no longer accepts ITINs. They now require SSNs and want to see the actual SS card.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

From the NC DMV website:

"The law enforcement authorities in North Carolina do not honor an International Driver License. A valid license issued by a government agency from a home state or country is required to legally drive in this State."

As long as you have a valid drivers license from your home country and do not yet qualify to have a NC license you are fine to drive.

Married : 08-04-2006, Cumbria, England

I-130

09-01-2006: Filed I-130 application

09-18-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email)!!

I-129F (K-3)

09-19-2006: Filed I-129F application

10-13-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email ... by mail on Feb. 5)!!

02-13-2007: received at NVC and sent to London Embassy

02-16-2007: received by London Embassy

02-27-2007: received and mailed back Packet 3

03-12-2007: Medical completed

03-15-2007: received email from Embassy providing interview date

03-19-2007: Packet 4 received by mail

04-18-2007: interview - approved!!!

04-21-2007: visa delivered

04-24-2007: husband arrives in US

04-27-2007: to civil surgeon for vaccination supplement

AOS & EAD

05-04-2007: Filed I-485 & I-765

05-11-2007: NOA for both (received by mail May 15)

05-16-2007: notice mailed for biometric appointment (received by mail May 21)

06-07-2007: RFE - USCIS can't find medical results - we have to return to civil surgeon and pay for another appointment

06-13-2007: biometric appointment

07-20-2007: EAD card production ordered

12-13-2007: interview & approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.