MsZ

K-3 or CR-1?

8 posts in this topic

We were all ready to file the K-3 (130 and 129F at the same time through Vermont) when it was raised that going CR-1 might be smarter.

Does anyone have a feeling for the amount of extra delay the CR-1 might cost us going through Montreal?

Thanks,

Donna

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We were all ready to file the K-3 (130 and 129F at the same time through Vermont) when it was raised that going CR-1 might be smarter.

Does anyone have a feeling for the amount of extra delay the CR-1 might cost us going through Montreal?

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna,

You can get a pretty good idea by looking at these two tracking timelines - K3 and CR1 both take longer to interview than say a K1, hard to say which takes longer at this point for the ones you are looking at:

Liz's K1/K3 timeline to interview

IR1/CR1 timeline to interview

I can't get to the spreadsheet through work (blocked, grump). I did look through the other thread though...

I'll check out the spreadsheet tonight.

Thank you.

Donna

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna,

You can get a pretty good idea by looking at these two tracking timelines - K3 and CR1 both take longer to interview than say a K1, hard to say which takes longer at this point for the ones you are looking at:

Liz's K1/K3 timeline to interview

IR1/CR1 timeline to interview

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

DS-230 sent 10/2

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

My wife got her CR-1 visa in about a year and a few months. Looking back I'm glad we did it that way, as she was able to begin looking for jobs right when she got her, and she didn't have to fear anymore long delays from the USCIS for 2 years. Good luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Was she able to visit the US during that time?

My wife got her CR-1 visa in about a year and a few months. Looking back I'm glad we did it that way, as she was able to begin looking for jobs right when she got her, and she didn't have to fear anymore long delays from the USCIS for 2 years. Good luck!

DS-230 sent 10/2

Was she able to visit the US during that time?

Due to some very strange circumstances with our case, she wasn't able to, but as long as you can document ties to Canada, you shouldn't have a problem visiting while it's pending.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

We've applied for CR1 and I visit all the time. I just bring proof of ties to Canada (bills, income tax statement, pay stubs, etc) to show that I live and reside in Canada while waiting patiently for this all to be over.

I thought about doing the K3 but I figured for waaaaaaay more money, the same wait and more paperwork that it wasn't worth it.

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

July-07-07 - Married in Las Vegas

August-07-08 - CR-1 Visa activated

July-17-10 - Approval notice in mail, Conditions removed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Said a zillion times, but all depends on the POE officer!! Saying that, i traveled to DC while undergoing the CR-1 process and never had a problem!! pack lite, dont bring job resumes, bring ties to Canada, answer their question, but don't blab away, short and sweet, look them in the eye, and never lie, be polite, yes sir, yes maam. Dont get frustrated and belittle them, your not going to win,only make the situation worse.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.