8 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd share my experience with the SSA in case anyone else is going through a similar thing.

I applied for my SSN at my local uptown NYC office back in August after being in the country 2 weeks and was told I wasn't in the SAVE database. I checked back after 4 weeks and still nothing -the G485 had been sent and returned 'unable to verify' by USCIS. Further electronic verifications yielded nothing and a 2nd G485 was sent off. After a further 3 week wait I was told there was still nothing and I'd just have to wait as it was 'immigration's problem not the SSA's'. Facing another 2 months with no way to set up a bank account or insurance etc I scheduled an info pass with USCIS last friday...

Firstly, there is no point scheduling an infopass at the Federal Plaza building in NYC, just turn up, they didn't even look at my appointment info or barcode and everyone else there had just turned up on the day and joined the same queue. After a 45 minute wait I met with an immigration officer who basically told me it wasn't immigration's problem and there was nothing he could do. After some pleading he looked me up in their records and verified I had been entered into the system at POE and he couldn't see why they wouldn't verify it for the SSA but that 'it was the SSA's problem and I should just wait'. Beyond frustrated, I asked what he advised I do next seeing as these 2 departments were obviously incapable of communicating effectively and he told me to go upstairs to the SSA and tell them myself. Yeah, because that in itself would be enough. He refused to give me a letter or a print out verifying my status although he did ask 'You had a greencard before right?' when I have never had one - I now have even less faith that their records are correct or that they have a clue what they are doing.

After a 2.5 hour wait I spoke to an SSA clerk who listened to the outline of the situation and told me there was nothing he could do, although he did run another electronic verification AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW all of a sudden I was verified. I don't know whether by going into my record the immigration officer triggered something but it was bizarre that it suddenly happened. My relief was short lived however when I was told to get my card to be issued I had to go back to the office where I submitted my original application (even though they all work for the same SSA department)...

At the uptown office the SSA clerk accessed the database and told me no, I wasn't verified!! At this point I was so stressed out, especially when she told me the SSA clerk downtown was probably just looking at someone else's record! You have to admire the level of professionalism...I got her to show me the screen and realised she was searching under my 'A' number and not my I-94, what do you know, when I got her to search the database with that my record popped up as verified...A 7.5 week wait for an SSN because they have been searching using the wrong number.You couldn't make it up.It then got worse, she couldn't get my card to process, even though it was fine on screen the paper record kept printing blank.She asked me to come back 'Next week sometime' -hell no!!

To cut a long story short, I requested to see a supervisor and had to repeat this request around 4 times before she realised I wasn't leaving (I think the tears of frustration finally cracked her resolve). After an hour the supervisor came upstairs, showed the clerk how to save and update the file and I now have a receipt saying I'll get my card in the mail in 2 weeks so fingers crossed.

Apologies for the long post but I am still amazed at just how ridiculous and stressful an experience the whole thing was, it was like being trapped in Joseph Heller novel. Good luck to anyone else having to deal with the SSA!!

16th October 2009 - I-751 Packet received at CSC

16th October 2009 - NOA1 date for I-751

05 Nov 2009 - Early biometrics appointment (taken with no hassles or query on date)

23 Nov 2009 - Biometrics appointment

23 Nov 2009 - Received email stating 'Card Production Ordered' -woo hoo!

'I am a sinner who does not expect forgiveness, but I am not a government official'

Deadwood, Season 2

what a NIGHTMARE for you...gosh you would think in a big metro area like nyc this would be old hat to them. hopefully you will get your card in about a week. that's how long it took for my husband after he applied.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

I would use the SSA's website and complain about that office. That's beyond ridiculous.

I agree though - SSA are useless when it comes to immigration issues. My office tried to tell me that since my (now) hubby arrived on a K1 but we were now married, he had to leave the country, apply for a K3 and re-enter in order to qualify for an SSN. :lol:

Needless to say, his number went through anyway, mainly because I begged them just to let his application stand (instead of cancelling it because they 'thought' he now needed a K3).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey Brooklyn23,

what a nightmare...

i cross my fingers for u that u receive the SSN as fast as i... after 7 days it was in the mailbox..

Good luck for ur AOS... hopefully without any stress

dH4Pm8.png

Filed: Timeline

For whatever good it does you:

http://www.ssa.gov/ny/meet_rc.htm

email me at

beatrice.disman@ssa.gov

or write me at:

Social Security Administration

New York Region

Office of the Regional Commissioner

26 Federal Plaza

Room 40-120

New York, NY 10278

The problem is that current procedure says if an immigration document has an A number to use that to verify.

Old procedure said to try both the A number and I-94 number.

If you live in the New York area it might be best to apply at the Brooklyn Card Center. They are supposed to have immigration people there if needed for verification.

Brooklyn Social Security Card Center

625 Fulton Street, Sixth Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11201

Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

I agree though - SSA are useless when it comes to immigration issues.

Not all are.

Edited by I Quit

I agree though - SSA are useless when it comes to immigration issues.

Not all are.

True - but unfortunately they seem pretty few and far between. Although we are probably only hearing of the ones that make us crazy. :P

SA4userbar.jpg

Thanks everyone, I am going to contact the SSA and complain but not until I get my card in my hand- I want to believe I will get it but after last week's encounter I do wonder... What really got to me was how there is simply no inter-governmental communication or recognition of a need for it beyond a paper verification form (wehat year is this anyway?!)- I guess we are just meant to suck it up. What with this experience and our run in with the state department's similar levels of professional conduct over getting my visa issued in the first place I am beyond nostalgic for the UK civil service!!

16th October 2009 - I-751 Packet received at CSC

16th October 2009 - NOA1 date for I-751

05 Nov 2009 - Early biometrics appointment (taken with no hassles or query on date)

23 Nov 2009 - Biometrics appointment

23 Nov 2009 - Received email stating 'Card Production Ordered' -woo hoo!

'I am a sinner who does not expect forgiveness, but I am not a government official'

Deadwood, Season 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

How frustrating!!

I'm glad you finally got it sorted out though.

Something I will mention here, although it's no longer of use to you Brooklyn; because I did not come in on a K1, I was not in the SAVE system and couldn't get a SSN until I got my EAD. In the meantime, my local SSA office gave me a form letter stating that I was not eligible for a SSN at this time, which I used to open bank accounts and the like.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.