ghanta81

Interview in islamabad

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My wife had her interview (CR1) in islamabad yesterday, and after 5 min. of questioning about me and my family, the lady there started asking about my wife's previous marriage. She started scrutinizing the divorce document. My wife took the divorce document that she had received from the The union office administration in karachi, but apparently that was not sufficient and they needed additional document. The objection letter says that they need the court issued divorce document and the administrative processing paperwork. But my understanding is that the local council offices issue the divorce certificate. They told her that it may take 2-3 mnths to process everything. After raising the objection they asked her to send her passport along with the additional documentation.

I am trying to get all of the requested information together, the interview was on monday 0ct 5, and I am planning to send everything back by next week.

My questions are:

1) What is the most reliable documentation that I can get for them in karachi pakistan

2) How long does it really take from this point, is the 2-3 mnths time for real

3) What do they specifically need when they say administrative processing paperwork for the divorce

4) If you have been thru this please let me know what should I do.

I'm really depressed with this whole deal, I dont know how long its going to take to have my wife here with me. I was expecting them to ask more question regarding my marriage instead they drilled the hell out of her previous marriage documentation. I would really appreciate any feedback, I am not sure what is the right course of action at this point. Please respond as soon as possible, I'm trying to send out the infoby next week. Thanks ya'll, I would really appreciate any guidance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband went to his interview in Montreal, his divorce was in Pakistan as well. He had a court certificate, stamped by the Karachi Courts, in ENGLISH!

The Montreal consulate faxed this document to Islamabad, Islamabad denied that it was good enough and demanded a certificate from the Union Council in NWFP. I think that in the case of divorces they are just very suspicious. In my searches, I have found on travel.state.gov warnings to consular officials to be very wary of ANY divorce certificates from Pakistan and to scrutinize them well.

I sent in the Union Council Certificate in July and the consulate STILL WILL NOT RESPOND TO ME! They continuously ignore my emails or tell me they still have "administrative work" pending.

The only thing I can say is to send in whatever you can get with original stamps, get duplicates, and DO NOT give them her original passport until they are ready to do the visa, because you will not get it back until they are completely done, and they don't always respond to you.

As far as I know, you have to wait it out and make sure to keep a Congressman/Senator in the loop.

Edited by emt103c

Timeline
My husband went to his interview in Montreal, his divorce was in Pakistan as well. He had a court certificate, stamped by the Karachi Courts, in ENGLISH!

The Montreal consulate faxed this document to Islamabad, Islamabad denied that it was good enough and demanded a certificate from the Union Council in NWFP. I think that in the case of divorces they are just very suspicious. In my searches, I have found on travel.state.gov warnings to consular officials to be very wary of ANY divorce certificates from Pakistan and to scrutinize them well.

I sent in the Union Council Certificate in July and the consulate STILL WILL NOT RESPOND TO ME! They continuously ignore my emails or tell me they still have "administrative work" pending.

The only thing I can say is to send in whatever you can get with original stamps, get duplicates, and DO NOT give them her original passport until they are ready to do the visa, because you will not get it back until they are completely done, and they don't always respond to you.

As far as I know, you have to wait it out and make sure to keep a Congressman/Senator in the loop.

I did send them the letter from the union council in karachi, but they are asking for the court certificate. They have also asked her to send back the passport along with the documents. In addition to the court certificate I am thinking about sending additional document, i.e. the letter from the religious scholar that finalized the divorce and the notice she sent asking for the divorce. I am not sure if that will help or not. When did he have is interview, I have no idea how long its going to take and this thing really making me nervous. I'm hoping the fact that the fact that the guy she was previously married to has also got re-married will help my case.

My husband's family got the court certificate from the local court, it was much simpler than the union council certificate.

Did that help your case out, as thats what im working on getting?

Timeline

What I'm saying is that they change their replies frequently.

We had a court cert, they demanded a union cert.

You had a union cert, they demanded a court cert.

They are being difficult, and inconsistent. At any rate, you must get what they asked for, and keep inquiries from yourself and your senator going, after that first three months is up.

Our interview was in February, and we submitted the second cert in July, they are still not answering us, but we are dealing with Montreal who is apparently notoriously nonresponsive.

I think a letter from the scholar who finalized the divorce would be a nice touch in addition to the court certificate they requested. Also, if there is proof of the re-marriage of the ex-husband, that might be helpful as well. You are only required to get the one certificate, but extra information cannot hurt.

Timeline

I know its like what ever work, there is not a set listing of required documents. I thought I had all my bases covered, but surprisingly it seems like they had no interest wat so ever in my marriage but the divorce decree became the center of everything. My wifes family was told by the rep. at the union council that the council was the final authority and that the court was not required in this process, and that why they did'nt need go to court. The worst part of it all is that I think she might need to go to court to get the decree, and that making me really nervous. Do you know what alls needed for the decree, when you've already received the letter from the union council. I am trying my best to get it done as soon as possible.

Does getting a senator involved in the process help, and how do approach them for an immigration issue like ours. How long do you think I need to wait before making contact. Your insight has been really helpful and I hope we can get the thing done with. Good luck with everything.

Timeline

There is actually a set requirement AND it is the Union Council Certificate that you gave them.

I am sending you the link to the travel.state.gov website (which IS THE actual authority website from the U.S. Government.) If you scroll down to "Divorce Certificate" it tells what you needed was the Union Council Cert that says it meets the "Requirements set forth by the 1961, Muslim Family Laws Ordinance, Section 7."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C.../P/Pakistan.htm

The easiest thing is probably to give them what they want, but if you want to fight with them, get an attorney, and he/she should be able to take care of things if they have experience with Pakistan and U.S. Immigration.

As for the Senator, you would wait until the case was outside the consulate's predicted processing time. You SHOULD NOT be having this problem, I think I would find a good attorney having seen this declaration on travel.state.gov

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I think what you also need is a permission letter from your contonment board. Lets say you live in Clifton then you have to go see someone there. If your marriage took place in Clifton then they can help. But if it was somewhere else you have to contact the local contonment for letter of permission (basically its a permission to remarry. Let me know if this help

I did send them the letter from the union council in karachi, but they are asking for the court certificate. They have also asked her to send back the passport along with the documents. In addition to the court certificate I am thinking about sending additional document, i.e. the letter from the religious scholar that finalized the divorce and the notice she sent asking for the divorce. I am not sure if that will help or not. When did he have is interview, I have no idea how long its going to take and this thing really making me nervous. I'm hoping the fact that the fact that the guy she was previously married to has also got re-married will help my case.

My husband's family got the court certificate from the local court, it was much simpler than the union council certificate.

Timeline
I think what you also need is a permission letter from your contonment board. Lets say you live in Clifton then you have to go see someone there. If your marriage took place in Clifton then they can help. But if it was somewhere else you have to contact the local contonment for letter of permission (basically its a permission to remarry. Let me know if this help

I think the visa was already granted, if memory serves me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.