~~~water~~~

What is your personal feeling why AP is taking so long in many cases?

121 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have come up with a new theory for Cairo at least. If they don't really like you case (ie red flags - bad impression - whatever),but they can't say it is not a real realationship, they put it in the waiting for them to disappear pile.... And hopefully they make the couple wait long enough that they break from the pressure and cancel the visa.

I know security checks are another reason, but I am meaning why the long waits after or before security checks have been completed or in my case even ordered.

Edited by water is wide

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have no idea but love this topic - you gals and guys figure it all out for me - so when my SO has the interview I can have all the "secrets" to a fast AP - hahahahahaha - - - if there is one thing I have learned about this process is that there are some aspects that are just unpredictable........good luck to all of those on AP - - my heart goes out to each and every one of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (F)

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think Cairo AP is different from Casablanca AP in that Cairo actually does some review itself at the consulate. As far as I can tell, AP in Casa simply means the FBI name check.

I seem to remember instances where there were home visits during the AP period in Cairo. This would indicate that it's not just the FBI clearance, but also administrative review similar to what goes on at many other embassies, some of the ones in Asia come to mind.

I think that you're probably right about the CO's overall impression contributing to the review time.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have to agree. I think the interviewer had it in for my husband from the start. Our case was approved, security checks at Washington passed and it's sitting in Cairo waiting for their final issuance. The DOS man that I talked with yesterday said, "ma'am in the end it is up to Cairo to do what they want".

I don't think that's right. If they have that much power then they shouldn't abuse it, i.e. if the interviewer really doubted the relationship why did he not want more evidence? My husband went with our wedding album, a huge pile of phone records, chat records, my plane ticket stubs, etc. and so if he really doubted things why not look at this stuff more intently?

Also, what checks does Cairo do? They haven't gone to his house, they ask for the copy of the police records so it's not like they go and get that themselves, they ask for the movement certificate sometimes so it's not like they're doing that themselves....................so I'm at a loss as to what they actually do over there in terms of their own security checks.

In the end I'm better when I don't try to make sense of it. I look at it all like the lottery. If you are lucky you will get it early and if not you'll have to wait.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think that a CO "has it out" for anyone. I think they are doing their jobs. Yes it's stressful for everyone having to wait but they are doing what they are supposed to do. It's not a personal vendetta against couples.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have to agree. I think the interviewer had it in for my husband from the start. Our case was approved, security checks at Washington passed and it's sitting in Cairo waiting for their final issuance. The DOS man that I talked with yesterday said, "ma'am in the end it is up to Cairo to do what they want".

I don't think that's right. If they have that much power then they shouldn't abuse it, i.e. if the interviewer really doubted the relationship why did he not want more evidence? My husband went with our wedding album, a huge pile of phone records, chat records, my plane ticket stubs, etc. and so if he really doubted things why not look at this stuff more intently?

Also, what checks does Cairo do? They haven't gone to his house, they ask for the copy of the police records so it's not like they go and get that themselves, they ask for the movement certificate sometimes so it's not like they're doing that themselves....................so I'm at a loss as to what they actually do over there in terms of their own security checks.

In the end I'm better when I don't try to make sense of it. I look at it all like the lottery. If you are lucky you will get it early and if not you'll have to wait.

I believe our case is sitting without any work being done on it right now. On some shelf where they doubt our relationship to it must wait X amount of time before they will issue the visa.

Security checks have been done.

Home visit and verification with him at his work was done.

The last time I called DOS they cannot see that anything is happening right now, just waiting for the visa to be issued.

At Sam's interview he had to insist that the CO look at our pics and tried to show him some other evidence, ie plane tickets, and reservation confirmation for my visit 3 weeks after his interview, mail correspondance to him from my kids, parents and me, etc. He finally agreed to look at the pics, but nothing else.

At the time of his interview the CO told him all his paperwork was complete and they had all they needed from him and would just have AP time (1-2 months HAHA!!) before visa issuance.

So as far as more security checks there I don't believe they are happening... they are just sitting on the file and not issuing visa because of their supicions, but no proof of those suspicions.............CAUSE THEY ARE NOT VALID!!!

This is my opinion of what is happening with our case right now.

K3 Visa

03/26/06 Wedding day!!

waiting for documents to be translated and sent to me in US

05/21/06 Return to Egypt to visit for 9 wonderful days!

06/06/06 I-130 sent (finally!!)

07/12/06 NOA1

10/02/06 Approved!!!

07/20/06 I129f sent

07/24/06 NOA1

09/27/06 I129f approved!!!!

10/06/06 At NVC and case # assigned. Woohoo!!!

10/10/06 NVC sent K3 documents to Cairo today!!!

10/15/06 K3 documents received at Cairo consulate.

10/29/06 Packet 3 received.

11/01/06 Medical appointment

11/08/06 Medical certificate received

11/10/06 Packet 3 sent by delivery service

11/12/06 Packet received at consulate

02/05/07 Interview Date

02/16/07 10 day trip to Egypt

06/25/07 Home visit by field investigator

01/14/08 Got the email to send in his passport for visa!!!!

01/28/08 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!

03/17/08 Arrival in USA!!!!!!!

Timeline
I don't think that a CO "has it out" for anyone. I think they are doing their jobs. Yes it's stressful for everyone having to wait but they are doing what they are supposed to do. It's not a personal vendetta against couples.

:thumbs:

So what is the theory that you both have then? I mean if they are doing what they are supposed to do, what is it they're supposed to do aside from the DOS checks and home visits? And why is it that Cairo is supposed to do whatever this mysterious thing is and not Morocco?

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Timeline

So what is the theory that you both have then? I mean if they are doing what they are supposed to do, what is it they're supposed to do aside from the DOS checks and home visits? And why is it that Cairo is supposed to do whatever this mysterious thing is and not Morocco?

Well I think they are probably doing some form of a security check. I also believe that a CO gets a "gut feeling" about a couple, especially the beneficiary,at the interview and that may determine how quickly or slowly the AP proceeds. I seem to be picking up on a pattern at Cairo that couples who have met offline are waiting less. I know this may not be true in all cases,but that seems to be a factor. I do not think one ever truly knows with Cairo and I guess one just needs to be prepared to wait it out.

drinkblink14.gif

There have been quite a few couples who have gone through AR hell in Casablanca. That aside, I have read Cairo has one of the largest operations in the Middle East. Its no stretch to think large operation - case slowdown. I also agree that the consulate does not deliberately do a terrible/molasses slow job. There has to be a reason for it.

The way I understand it, and per anecdotal evidence on VJ is the fingerprint check takes a relatively short amount of time. If you are required to do the full 10 set, it can take 1-30 days average to return, and if there is a name hit on top of that (which is a separate procedure) then you have the length involved. It is entirely possible with the frequency of the names used in Egypt(where last names are not as common) as opposed to Morocco (where last names are more common), there are more name hits.

Nothing is absolute, nothing is fair.

There have been quite a few couples who have gone through AR hell in Casablanca. That aside, I have read Cairo has one of the largest operations in the Middle East. Its no stretch to think large operation - case slowdown. I also agree that the consulate does not deliberately do a terrible/molasses slow job. There has to be a reason for it.

I agree Cairo indeed has a large caseload. In addition to processing the many Egyptian DV applicants, it also processes for the Sudanese and now on its most recent interview schedule,Cairo is now processing Iraqis. So, there are many applicants going through that embassy.

drinkblink14.gif

Timeline

The way I understand it, and per anecdotal evidence on VJ is the fingerprint check takes a relatively short amount of time. If you are required to do the full 10 set, it can take 1-30 days average to return, and if there is a name hit on top of that (which is a separate procedure) then you have the length involved. It is entirely possible with the frequency of the names used in Egypt(where last names are not as common) as opposed to Morocco (where last names are more common), there are more name hits.

Oh I get it about the name hits and the fingerprints but that all happens at the DOS level. We're talking about what happens when those checks are completed and there's no apparent reason that DOS can tell that the visa is not yet issued.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think that Morocco and Egypt can be compared. Morocco denies petitions and Egypt makes people wait. I have no idea what they're doing and I never pretended to know. I don't think any of us really know exactly what is going on there which is why I don't think it's fair to say that the Consulate "had it out for my husband from the start." I think they are doing a good job at being very careful in the visa process and I think their jobs must be very stressful.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I guess I look at it that is f*** up morroco denys so many valid relationship and its f***** you could reach Norway on a camel by the time Egypt finishes their prcocessing. Both situations are absolutely unfair and you don't see people from other european counties ever having to deal with this much waiting and suffering. And yes I believe it is allllll about what the counsular thinks of you and how they like you and in that way it is verrrrry personal.

Edited by water is wide

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

I'm done trying to figure out why some have longer AP than others. I agree that COs don't have personal vendettas against certain beneficiaries. However, COs are human like the rest of us and many ppl treat others harshly simply because they don't like how someone looks or speaks. I doubt several months after the interview that the CO is still holding a grudge against someone he doesn't know personally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.