matt121376

Purchasing Tickets to American from Philippines

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I recently purchased a round trip ticket for myself and a 1-way ticket for my fiance on the same flight. After i booked the flight and paid for the tickets, the travel agent (expedia) called and told me that there was a problem. She told me that the Philippines government does not allow 1-way travel originating in manila when the ticket was purchased outside of the Philippines. Apparently the Philippines government wants their tax dollars as well. Has anyone run across this? It sounds credible but I've never heard of it before and I've read just about everything from VJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

matt121376@yahoo.com

I recently purchased a round trip ticket for myself and a 1-way ticket for my fiance on the same flight. After i booked the flight and paid for the tickets, the travel agent (expedia) called and told me that there was a problem. She told me that the Philippines government does not allow 1-way travel originating in manila when the ticket was purchased outside of the Philippines. Apparently the Philippines government wants their tax dollars as well. Has anyone run across this? It sounds credible but I've never heard of it before and I've read just about everything from VJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

matt121376@yahoo.com

I purchased my round trip and Marlene's one way ticket outside the Philippines. She just had to pay the travel tax before she was given a boarding pass.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks.. i am not getting a straight answer from either the travel agent or the airline directly. I feel better after reading your reply but I'm worried that your flight was so long ago. I'm worried that the laws may have changed or that this may be a new law..

Thanks

Matt

Thanks

Matt

matt121376@yahoo.com

I purchased my round trip and Marlene's one way ticket outside the Philippines. She just had to pay the travel tax before she was given a boarding pass.

I never heard of that but it very well be true, the government certainly wants their cut. I just gave Claudeth the money to buy the ticket there and it saved us about $150.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I went through this in May. I bought tickets directly from Cathay Pacific. Cathay charged the travel tax on the one-way ticket originating in the Philippines, but not on my round-trip ticket originating in the US. In spite of this, at the ariport in Cebu, they tried to collect the tax again on Cheryl's. We had to get a proof of tax payment from Cathay, to avoid paying it a second time. So as late as May, they were still collecting the travel tax on tickets not purchased in Phils. Also, at the time, I heard of people buying tickets directly from Northwest. Those people did have to pay the tax when departing Manila. I'd guess you can still buy the tickets, just be prepared to pay the tax.

I don't know about Philippines, but in Indonesia you have to pay a tax at the airport during check in, or before you are allowed into the boarding area (depends on the airport). But I purchased tickets directly from the airline, and didn't have any problem with getting a one way ticket for my fiance.

keTiiDCjGVo

I just contacted my travel agent about getting Kathlene's ticket and she said all Kathlene will have to do is pay the travel tax at the airport when she gets there. My agent is Filipino and she specializes in travel between the US and Philippines

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

I just contacted my travel agent about getting Kathlene's ticket and she said all Kathlene will have to do is pay the travel tax at the airport when she gets there. My agent is Filipino and she specializes in travel between the US and Philippines

Easier if she pays the P1620 travel tax a few days before her departure date at her local PTA and then pay the P750 terminal fees at the airport when she leaves.

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I suggest that you send money to your fiance'e and let her buy her own ticket, when she purchase the ticket be sure that the travel tax and other taxes are included in the price so that she will not go to PTA to pay for it. 750 pesos terminal Fee should be paid at the Airport before departure.

I purchased a round trip and one-way tickets direct from NWA online for myself and asawa from Manila to Detroit in April 2007. We had no problems. As others have stated, just go to the booth under the BIG blue TRAVEL TAX sign and pay the 1620php for her before you check in and you'll have no problems. The departure tax for both of you is paid after checking in as you leave the ticketing area. Enjoy your long trip.

Michael and Milah Jean

04/24/2006 | Married in Leyte
06/16/2006 | Mail I-130 petition to NSC
03/15/2007 | INTERVIEW - 6:30 am - APPROVED!!!!
04/05/2007 | ARRIVED IN AMERICA!!! (Detroit)
04/14/2007 | Received SSN card in mail
04/23/2007 | Received 2 yr green card
04/24/2007 | CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
11/16/2007 | We're pregnant!!!
07/01/2008 | Ester Faith born at 11:49 pm
02/12/2009 | Mail I-751 petition to remove conditions
04/16/2009 | Approved - Letter recd 4/21/2009
06/29/2009 | Received 10 yr green card
07/11/2009 | Received Ohio driver's license - passed road test 1st try!!
01/29/2011 | We're preggie...again!!!
09/21/2011 | Eugene Filip born - 7:55 am

02/29/2016 | Mail N-400 application

05/19/2016 | Naturalization interview

06/16/2016 | Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.