Lady Amorika

Name Changes Post Wedding

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband (USC) and I (Canadian) got married about a month ago. We are going to file for a K3 by the end of the month, but I just had a terrible worry.

When we married, in NY, we got our marriage license and both took each other's last names (ie. he's John Floyd Y and I'm Jessica Sue X, now we are John Floyd X Y and Jessica Sue X Y). The only place that shows that is the marriage license. We haven't changed our names on anything else. We had planned to wait until we were officially living together to make the change official with bills, etc.

But now I'm worried. We haven't changed our names on our IDs, licenses, passports, or bills. Is this going to be a problem? Can we file our K3 with our pre-marriage names? Or do we have to change everything before we get started? Honestly, I'd rather keep my "maiden" name for awhile before changing it, not because of commitment, but because I'm only going to living here another year and don't want to have so much hassle.

Is this going to be a problem? Thoughts? Concerns? Experiences? I'm rather worried now.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
My husband (USC) and I (Canadian) got married about a month ago. We are going to file for a K3 by the end of the month, but I just had a terrible worry.

When we married, in NY, we got our marriage license and both took each other's last names (ie. he's John Floyd Y and I'm Jessica Sue X, now we are John Floyd X Y and Jessica Sue X Y). The only place that shows that is the marriage license. We haven't changed our names on anything else. We had planned to wait until we were officially living together to make the change official with bills, etc.

But now I'm worried. We haven't changed our names on our IDs, licenses, passports, or bills. Is this going to be a problem? Can we file our K3 with our pre-marriage names? Or do we have to change everything before we get started? Honestly, I'd rather keep my "maiden" name for awhile before changing it, not because of commitment, but because I'm only going to living here another year and don't want to have so much hassle.

Is this going to be a problem? Thoughts? Concerns? Experiences? I'm rather worried now.

Hi Lady A

I also got married recently and have filed for my I-130. I got married in Europe and took my husbands last name but decided to also keep my last name. When I returned to the States and filed for the form I filed with the new and old last name but haven't changed anything on any of my documents yet. I also don't want to go through the hustle of changing anything yet , it costs money and I need money now for all these expensive forms that I'm sending in and if I decide to change it on my passport now , with all this wait I may have to wait for my new passport and won't be able to travel anywhere for a while. I guess we can probably wait and will be fine. I hope so :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wasn't planning on filing with my "new" last name though, because it's not on anything else. To be honest, I'd rather just change the marriage license/certificate than everything else. Is that possible? I really don't want to change my name on everything.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I plan on taking my husbands name. Though I have not legally changed my name in Canada (ie. Divers, Bills. Credit cards etc), I added my married name to my passport. We thought that having my married name on my passport was enough, someone please correct me if i am wrong.

A

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.