Sister Fracas

British food stores

146 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Anyone have any info on where to get GOOD cheese from in California??? Or do the online stores have them?? I know I'm not even there yet but I spent 8 months last year without decent cheese and its one of my fave things!! Just a nice piece of Chesire or Wenslydale....jeees I'd even eat Stilton!

soon to be cheeseless Sam :D

Do you have a wholefoods,,,they have a really good selection of cheeses!

The long and winding road,,,,,,

03/03/04 - I-129F received at VSC

08/03/04 - Date of NOA1

24/04/04 - Approval online email (46 day35 Business day

28/04/04 - Received NOA2 by mail

03/05/04 - NVC fowards petition to London Embassy

14/05/04 - Received Packet 3

26/05/04 - Received Packet 4

01/06/04 - Interview @ London Embassy

01/06/04 - WAS APPROVED FOR VISA!

02/06/04 - Passport inclusive of visa delivered

13/06/04 - Here in the US of A!

31/07/04 - Officially engaged!

28/08/04 - Married

30/08/04 - Filed AOS, EAD, sent via Fed-Ex

02/09/04 - Applied for SSN in married name

10/09/04 - SSN arrives

08/09/04 - NOA for EAD & AOS

30/09/04 - Biometics & Fingerprinting Appointment

10/11/04 - Received approval via email for EAD

13/11/04 - Very happily blessed in Florida with Family present - special day!

16/11/04 - EAD arrives in post

01/03/05 - Posted AP

24/03/05 - NOA1 of AP

20/05/05 - Advance Parole arrived

19/09/05 - Case transferred to CSC

08/11/05 - Approved for AOS at CSC

12/11/05 - Welcome to america letter arrives!

15/11/05 - Green Card Arrives

REMOVE CONDITIONS

07/08/07 - Applied to Vermont for 2 years conditions removed I-751

22/08/07 - Check cashed

23/08/07 - Received I-797 Notice of action in post

04/09/07 - NOA Date

02/10/07 - Biometrics

02/10/07 - Touched- checked at 6:45 PM

03/10/07 - Touched

28/03/08 - Received Email - 10 Year green card approved

CITIZENSHIP

11/08/08 - Sent N-400 application to become a citizen to VERMONT

16/08/08 - Cheque cashed by Vermont

18/08/08 - NOA1 N-400

17/09/08 - Biometrics

09/12/08 - Interview and oath taken at newark

DONE!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everybody! I have a question for you all. When I'm over visiting my fiance, we drink this stuff called Barley cup and try though I might, I just can't find it here anywhere. Has anybody heard of that and have any idea where we can get it here? Otherwise, he may have to resort to smuggling tons of it out when he leaves! :D

Thanks

Tiffany

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When I first came here the only place I could find that sold any quantity of British goods was Meijers but now my local Glens in the small town I live in sells marmite $4.99 for 4.4ozs, Hob Nobs, McVities chocolate, smoked mackerel yum yum, chunky Kit Kat $1.49, birds custard which I have missed more than I can say! and several other things. We also discovered a great place called English Goodies in Interlochen Michigan which sells smarties, Walkers crisps - I bought Christmas Cake, Christmas pudding and mincepies - and when I asked about dandielion and burdoch the owner ordered it for me and I am in seventh heaven. :wub:

I enjoy trying out goods from my new country but find a lot of their candies and cakes etc. too sweet so I like the chance to get stuff from the UK.

Kathy (UK) Doug (US)

Met online 03.08.03

1st Holiday together US 8th August 2 weeks

2nd Holiday together 18th december 4 weeks

NOA1 19th April 2004

3rd Holiday together 21st July 4 weeks

NOA2 5th August 2004

Pack 3 arrived 28th August 2004 (or there abouts)

Pack 3 returned 30th September (21 days waiting for police checks)

Just awaiting Pack 4!!!

E-mail 1st November to Embassy

E-mail back same day to say

Interview 15th November

Pack 4 arrived 4th November

Approved 15th November

Arrived in the US 14th December

211 days from NOA1 to approval

Married at last on 26th February 2005

AOS

Sent off all the papers to lock box 4th March

NOA for I-131, I-485 and I-765 recieved 1st April dated 29th March 2005

Biometrics and Fingerprinting Appt. 21st April completed

29th April email approving AP

2nd May email EAD approved

2nd May AOS email that fingerprints have been dealt with and AOS being processed

3rd May AP and EAD arrived in the post

26th May applied for name change on SSN card

5th April new SSN card arrived

28th June AOS 'touched'

9th August NOA interview letter

5th October AOS Interview

YEH! Approved

Fall 2006 discovered I was pregnant!!

Wonderful Baby Boy born April 2007

14th September filed I-751

17th September received NSC

6th October NOA received

11th November Biometrics

18th December APPROVED YEH!!!!!

Well I tried the International sections of the supermarkets around here and all I found was Mexican food :(

You know I'm really desperate for some Ribena, warm Ribena like my Dad used to make me when I was little. And orange squash too. I keep trying to explain these drinks to people here and they say, "Oh yeah, we have that.....Kool Aid." NO WAY, you cant even compare.

Hob Nobs would be nice too and some Bisto gravy.

And some Cadburys, I can't stand this Hershey stuff. YUCK

Korma cooking sauce too, I'm dying for a good Indian. I've been to Indian restaurants here, and they're no idea what they're talking about. It's awful.

Can you really bring this stuff over with you?! I thought it wasnt allowed? If so I'm definately bringing some Ribena back with me when I go home in April.

Seriously I nearly cried when I saw Ribena and Heinz Baked Beans on one of the websites that you guys listed :(

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Can you really bring this stuff over with you?! I thought it wasnt allowed? If so I'm definately bringing some Ribena back with me when I go home in April.

Yep. I just came back from a trip with a suitcase full of stuff. Mainly oatcakes, digestives, cadbury's, naan for the freezer, and good pasta (cipriani from Sainsburys). I'm a happy bunny :dancing:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Hey all

Im not sure if Central Market is just a texas thing, but I found PG Tips in there, Albertsons also sell it too !

Central Market also has some english chocolate like curly wurlys, lion bars (yum) and toffee crisps.

Im pretty lucky theres an English shop in a town near us, and they sell just about everything but it cost a fortune ..... but still cant find my favourite - bacon, and english bread !!!!

anyone know any decent bread brands here? :P

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I'm a bit digusted with British Delights. I ordered a bunch! of stuff for Craig from them about the 23rd of January I guess and they still haven't even sent it yet. Really really annoying considering how much it costs and I doubt I'll use them again...anyone else have probs with them?

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

I'm a bit digusted with British Delights. I ordered a bunch! of stuff for Craig from them about the 23rd of January I guess and they still haven't even sent it yet. Really really annoying considering how much it costs and I doubt I'll use them again...anyone else have probs with them?

Yep, I stopped using them as they're so slow. And often stuff will be right near the use by date so you can't stash it away. The owner said it's cos customs are so slow getting through imported goods so by the time he gets them they have been sitting around for months. I do feel sorry for him but his delivery service and communication sucks!

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Yep, I stopped using them as they're so slow. And often stuff will be right near the use by date so you can't stash it away. The owner said it's cos customs are so slow getting through imported goods so by the time he gets them they have been sitting around for months. I do feel sorry for him but his delivery service and communication sucks!

Yeah, they ARE slow...the fastest I've seen with those I've used was from WisechoiceUK.com

But, we went shopping this weeked at a little store near my folks house (we were staying at their house for the weekend) and came back with HP sauce, Irish back bacon, Walker's crisps (cheesy Wotsits for me), pompadoms (sp?), Tizer, Irn Bru, Shandy Bass, and some other drinks. It's a small store, but has many of the basics, without the shipping costs. I should have grabbed me some Hob Nobs and a Turkish Delight too...but I can get those at World Market. :yes:

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

I think I mentioned that Wal-Mart were carry Tetley's "British blend", just thought I'd let people know that I've seen it at Albertson's, too. In case they wanted some Tetley's, without the price.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have a couple more links to add to this,,,,

http://www.4and20pastycompany.com/

(great pork pies!)

hey gemma..

How many of the pork pies did you have to get to place an order with these guys? At first look, it seems the minimum order (ice pack) is 12 pcs, and the pork pies are 2-packs. I'm sure the DAH would not object to 24 pork pies, but it seems a bit excessive. I guess I could order other stuff, but I'm interested in your experience w/ them, if you'd share. :)

----

About Customs and imports getting slowed down.. boy, I can tell you that's true. One of my clients imports, and the shipments are taking *forever and a day* (like months) to clear Customs anymore.. they simply don't have the manpower to do the job. I'm glad we don't import any perishibles!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
So we don't have to dig around for these ....I thought I'd just make this list again (especially for those who haven't seen or heard of them before) of some places that sell Brit goodies. You can get quite a few of your favorite foods from home...not to worry, don't panic!!! :P I've bought from the first 4 stores, including...yes, bacon and sausages. Shipping can get expensive, but it's worth it once in awhile.

Wise Choice British Foods, Gifts, & Candies

British Delights

English Tea Store

Goodwoods British Market

Britsuperstore

The British Shoppe

And then I found this site, BRITS IN THE US, which has an exhaustive list.

Also, if you have a World Market near you, check them out...they sell Brit sweets, and we even got some really nice Indian sauces and paneer for a curry dinner!

I order (every once in a while) treats for hubby from Taste of Britain by Post. If you consider Branson Pickle a treat :hehe: He can't seem to live without that mint stuff, either or mushy peas. Very reliable with quick (but not cheap) shipping.

My local branch of Meijer supermarket has always had a 'foreign' section but this week they doubled the size of the British bit and I was delighted to see 3 sorts of Bisto gravy granules, as well as custard powder. Umm can't remember what else. Lots of teas, which were pricey. Choc Hob Nobs. .....

Oh yes, found Cadbury's chocolate fingers at half price in Kroger - with the Valentine's candy. made in the UK too! Yum!

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If anyone wants to get some good cheese, the cheese shop at Chedder Gorge in Somerset will send cheese to the US. The site is http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/shop.php

Also Hotel Chocolat will send to the US.

Oooh! Thanks soo much for this!! Also - I don't know if anyone knows any cheap places to ship cheese to the US? We spent 25 quid on cheese before I moved and forgot to pack it :bonk:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.