Jerrod

I-864A Confusing directions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks, I am a bit confused on the directions for the I-864A. I have seen on this site, people quote some official document that states you must be a resident with the household member for at least 6 months. However, the official documents do not mention this 6 month issue. What is the truth?

Would it be OK to have my father fill out both the I-864 and the I-864A and then write a small letter that is noterized as well that states he will be bound to whatever document the consulate deems correct? Is this "odd"?

Should I write a small cover letter for my documents? So far I have the following for my part of my wifes visa:

I-864

Official 2006 tax return

I864(A?) Dad

Proof of his US citizenship

Tax returns for 2006,2005,2004

Maybe the letter from him.

Should my mom sign the I864(a) as well, or should I just subtract her income from the document and just my dad will sign it?

Sorry for all the questions. Sorry for any misspellings as well. My computer is messing up at the moment.

Thanks,

Jerrod

June 26 2007: I filed the I-130 in Saint Petersburg Russia

July 4 2007: I return to the USA

July 9 2007: I receive a request for additional information

July 11 2007: They receive the information

August 2 2007: I receive a letter from the DHS that the process is complete and sent to the embassy

August 15 2007: Vicky receives packet 3 and 4.

October 2 2007: Vicky gets the visa

DCF is fast and the way to go.

Please, do any of you know the answers to these questions? I am worried because I must send my documents to Russia this week.

Thanks,

Jerrod

August 2 2007: I receive a letter from the DHS that the process is complete and sent to the embassy

On line 13A you put the person's name (the immigrant).

I am coming to the conclusion that not many people understand the I-864 or the I-864A including USCIS DHS or the consulates.

If you do not share a joint income with the person, you must have them fill out an I-864.

So let's say that you live with your parents but do not share an income (NOTE: this is not mentioned on any of the forms, i.e you need to be on their 1040 or other tax records), then the other person must file out an I-864.

To recap, I now must fill out I-864. My dad will fill out I-864 and attached to his I-864, my mom's I-864A.

Now I have another questions about the I-864. In the section about assets, if you do not meet the minimum requirements do you have to fill out this section? It states that if you meet the requirements you do not need to fill it out. Moreover, it does say optional.

If I do put my assets on their, must I prove them with documents?

Thanks.

Jerrod

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey,

For my husbands IR-1 case, I didnt meet the min. poverty level. I lived with my parents but had a seperate income. So i used my dad as the "household member"... I had filled out and I-864, I had my dad fill out an I864 and I-864A... NVC sent me a letter and said they also needed I-864 from my mom since my parents had joint income. SO i sent those out as well (I-864 and I-864A)... I recieved a letter from NVC that i had some mistake in MY I-864 and to fillout a new once and send to my husband to take to his interview... and I also called NVC to ask if i need to attach any other evidence.. they said if his interview is after April 15, 2007, I will need to attach tax return for year 2006.

However when the case got to the embassy in jan... and they gave my husband packet 3... they returned I-864 for my dad and my mom.. I was confused and called them they said didnt need this. So basically the only forms they need are I-864 for myself and I-864A for my parents. (the I-864 is for JOINTsponsors, in our case they arent JOINT sponsors they are "household members")

MY husbands Interview was on July 25, 2007. I sent him a new I-864 fro myself, a new I-864A for my dad and mom, ad tax returns for the year 2006 for my self and my parents. When he presented them at the interview they said they didnt need the new forms or the tax returns.. everything looked fine..

I hope this helped you in some way, But just to be safe you can always call NVC they are very helpful.....

what type of visa are you applying for?

`Ayk shaam ati hai teri yaad le kar, Ayk sham jati hai teri yaad le kar, Muje us sham ka intezar hai jo aye tumain apne sath le kar ...`(Insha'Allah, Ameen)

Hi Xstranger,

I am applying for the CR-1 visa. Here is what Moscow wrote:

2/ You as a sponsor should fill out the I-864 form. If you have a joint income with your parents and your taxes reflect it, one of them should file the I-864A as well. If your income is not enough to support your family in the US, one of your parent can be arranged as a joint sponsor. He/she should fill out the form I-864. In this case, another parent should fill out the I-864A.

I get different answers every where I call. I am going with what Moscow says though.

Did you include evidence of savings and checking accounts?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I think you should follow the directions that moscow gave you, because you are dealing with that consulate and who better to give you advice than them...

do u have JOINT INCOME with your parents??

No, I did not include ANY evidence of checking/savings account for myself or my parents. But if they are asking you to include evidence you should...

I didnt have a cover letter or anything, the ony things I sent him were:

1. I-864 for myself

2. I-864A for my parents (one for each)

3.Tax returns for 2006 for myself and my parents(they file joint)

4. Proof of both parents citizenship

Also for his interview he was prepared with:

1. wedding pictures/videos

2. pictures of our 1 year old daughter (about 200)

3. Home Videos of our daughter on CD (about 4)

4. cards from me

5. some small gifts I had sent him

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you!

`Ayk shaam ati hai teri yaad le kar, Ayk sham jati hai teri yaad le kar, Muje us sham ka intezar hai jo aye tumain apne sath le kar ...`(Insha'Allah, Ameen)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi folks, I am a bit confused on the directions for the I-864A. I have seen on this site, people quote some official document that states you must be a resident with the household member for at least 6 months. However, the official documents do not mention this 6 month issue. What is the truth?

The 6-month requirement no longer exists - I-864 was amended in late 2006, and this requirement was eliminated.

Edited by Sid and Nancy

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.