gabby4ever

Lufthansa and 1 year olds

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I flew Lufthansa a couple of times before although I didn't have a baby with me...btw it was always new planes and I never got delayed, excellent experience every time. :thumbs: I was in Frankfurt twice but never really had time to explore since I had very short layovers.

About flying with a one year old...well I did fly back to the States in march (Alitalia though) and my son had just turned one. I won't lie to you, it is not as easy as when they are very little and all they do is lay there or sleep. For us the hardest part was to keep him in the seat for all those hours, especially on the flight from Europe to the US because it was daytime and only napped for a little over 2 hours (on the way to Europe he was 7 months old and slept pretty much the whole time since it was nightime for him). He didn't walk yet then, he was at the stage when all he wanted to do was to be on the ground and practise practise practise! So we did have to walk him down the aisle back and forth several times and he wanted to be entertained constantly but overall it wasn't terrible at all...just tiring! Bring plenty of his favorite toys and foods and just pray he'll feel like having a long nap lol

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

thank you all again!

churipu, thanks for the info...what toys did you bring?? can i bring rattles and toys with batteries that sing/talk etc?? can i bring a big stroller and i check it right before i get in the plane and they give it back to me right when i get off the plane so i can use it in the airports?

maybe im lucky and alex will sleep some...i doubt it because at home the only way he falls asleep is in a swing :help: i know ill have to walk with him a lot down the aisles because he will NOT sit in that chair...i can bet my life on :)

at least i have a short layover.

09/13/05 : AOS papers sent to Chicago

10/05/05 : checks cashed

10/05/05 : NOA 1 in the mail yehawwww !!!!!

11/29/05 : AP approoooooved !!!!!

03/06/06 : biometrics appointment

03/07/06 : touched

01/03/07 : interview letter in the mail

02/26/07 : interview finalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

AAAPPPRRROOOVVVEEEDDD !!!!!!!!!!! STAMP IN THE PASSPORT !!!!

03/06/2007: RECEIVED GREENCARD !!! NO MISTAKES !!!!!

01/27/09 : I-751 package mailed to Vermont

02/05/09 : check cashed

02/09/09 : NOA received

02/21/09 : biometrics letter received

03/07/09 : biometrics appointment

03/09/09 : touched

03/10/09 : touched

06/16/09 : APROVVVVVEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!! letter from USCIS received

06/30/09 : Greencard received!!! NO MISTAKES!!!

04/12/2010 : N-400 package sent...fingers crossed for a fast approval.....

06/07/2010 : Biometrics in Orlando

08/09/2010: Citizenship interview - PASSED!!!!

08/13/2010 : OATH Ceremony - Finally a US citizen and DONE with USCIS!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
thank you all again!

churipu, thanks for the info...what toys did you bring?? can i bring rattles and toys with batteries that sing/talk etc?? can i bring a big stroller and i check it right before i get in the plane and they give it back to me right when i get off the plane so i can use it in the airports?maybe im lucky and alex will sleep some...i doubt it because at home the only way he falls asleep is in a swing :help: i know ill have to walk with him a lot down the aisles because he will NOT sit in that chair...i can bet my life on :)

at least i have a short layover.

Hello again and you're very welcome :)

To answer your questions...I tried to avoid bringing toys that played music and made noise such as singing/talking etc., I was just keeping in mind the other people and didn't really want to annoy them. Plus unfortunately not everyone is understanding and patient when it comes to babies... I'm not saying you shouldn't, I just didn't feel comfortable with the idea and didn't want any possible problems with other passengers. I just brought all his fav things that wouldn't be noisy: he is in love with cars so I brought all his fav, little balls, stuffed animals, his fav blanket and other little things he usually chewed on (teething rings/plastic animals)or was interested in (keys, my wallet etc.). I made sure I had all the things he liked to eat most so he wouldn't be mad and frustrated because of hunger...it is hard enough for adults to eat nasty plane food let alone a toddler! :lol: At the check-in they are very understanding and let you bring all kinds of stuff for your baby, so don't worry if your carry on is bigger than usual. If it's for the baby they never said anything to us.

About the stroller...yes, you can bring it with you even if it's big. They place a little tag on it and they let you take it all the way to the door of the plane when you're boarding. Once you land, someone brings it to you right at the door. That never was a very long wait for us and most of the times (both national and international flights) we actually found the stroller waiting for us already there.

I do wish you Alex will fall asleep for a long time...you actually have good chances he will on the way there since you fly mostly during what would be nightime for him considering flights generally leave in the afternoon...but on the way back..well that's a different story... :wacko: Coming back from Europe, flights are generally in the morning and that means your toddler has just woken up and ready to play...my son slept only 2 hours out of 9 1/2...but once again..it wasn't too bad at all! Then again I wasn't flying alone (not sure if you will or not)...my husband was a big help.

And yes...be prepared...he'll want to walk lol

Don't worry though, you'll be totally fine and even if it was horrible just remember...it's only one day in your life and eventually you do land! :lol:

Good luck and have great trip! (F)

P.S.

Just a tip...when you have a toddler you can ask them to make arrangements to make you board earlier and get the front row. The airline let us do that when I booked our tickets telling me to remind them at the check in. They actually ended up not giving the seat next to mine and my husband's (and the ones to our left) to anyone so we had the whole row with us+the side...that made our life way easier. :thumbs:

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

Hey girl what's up ? I see you ready for a trip in Romania without Mike :P . Frankfurt Airport is a huge one but easy to navigate inside. I flew so many times from there and never had problems. Sorry, I do not have experience traveling with a baby but please, do not bring noisy toys with you, lots of people want to relax :P INTELEGI? :lol:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

inteleg inteleg :D:D:D

09/13/05 : AOS papers sent to Chicago

10/05/05 : checks cashed

10/05/05 : NOA 1 in the mail yehawwww !!!!!

11/29/05 : AP approoooooved !!!!!

03/06/06 : biometrics appointment

03/07/06 : touched

01/03/07 : interview letter in the mail

02/26/07 : interview finalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

AAAPPPRRROOOVVVEEEDDD !!!!!!!!!!! STAMP IN THE PASSPORT !!!!

03/06/2007: RECEIVED GREENCARD !!! NO MISTAKES !!!!!

01/27/09 : I-751 package mailed to Vermont

02/05/09 : check cashed

02/09/09 : NOA received

02/21/09 : biometrics letter received

03/07/09 : biometrics appointment

03/09/09 : touched

03/10/09 : touched

06/16/09 : APROVVVVVEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!! letter from USCIS received

06/30/09 : Greencard received!!! NO MISTAKES!!!

04/12/2010 : N-400 package sent...fingers crossed for a fast approval.....

06/07/2010 : Biometrics in Orlando

08/09/2010: Citizenship interview - PASSED!!!!

08/13/2010 : OATH Ceremony - Finally a US citizen and DONE with USCIS!!!!