hplusj

Duplicate NOA2, new dates?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hey all:

I just got another NOA2 in the mail.  We received the first one the first week of March, Notice date 3/1/24, valid from 3/1-6/30.

The new one has a new notice date of 5/8, valid until 9/7.

Is this normal?  What does it mean?  Is there a duplicate case at the NVC?  Is this just them getting a jump on an extension, halfway through the validity dates for some reason? How does this affect our timeline?  No other updates have been sent from USCIS or NVC

Thanks for any info.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SneakyPete said:

Speculation but seems like your first case never made it to NVC, so they re-approved it and will send it to NVC again?

But I requested a case number and have been running status checks on it for six weeks…

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

are the case numbers the same?

or did those change as well?

you may want to contact USCIS since they are the ones who send out the NOAs

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, MalloryCat said:

are the case numbers the same?

or did those change as well?

you may want to contact USCIS since they are the ones who send out the NOAs

The USCIS number is the same, yes

not sure if there will be a new NVC case as a result though and if I have to wait the 2-4 weeks again

Timeline

if the case numbers are the same it could be for the reason that SneakyPete had said.

if you're still concerned, you may want to reach out to the NVC and explain to them whats happening.

or contact USCIS and ask them why they sent you two noa2s with different dates

Timeline

I tried USCIS and could not get a live person.  Feared this.  They always hang up on you and refuse to give a live person.

i looked at the USCIS account online and am even more confused.  The case.. was approved?  Not the petition?  Why would they send out another NOA2 and what does USCIS have to do with it?

96ECD2D2-8F60-48FE-BD17-6DF7AD62A215.jpeg

Timeline

i would suggest reaching out to the NVC to confirm with them where your case currently is.

im not sure why the USCIS site would say that if the NVC still has your case.

Timeline
Just now, SneakyPete said:

I agree. Check with NVC on the status if you have case number from them. It is also possible that delay was because NVC had to send case back to USCIS for revalidation and that is why you see another approval. 

I will certainly send an inquiry.  Is revalidation normal and if that's the reason, is there anything required of us to get the case on track to be selected for the embassy shipment?

I suppose I can ask that of NVC as well.  Just wondering if you know.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Depends on how you define normal. It is not unheard of, but this part of process is very opaque so people mostly speculate. Basically USCIS makes some sort of a mistake but not checking a box, NVC catches it and USCIS has to fix it. Petitioner never gets involved, it is sorted between USCIS and NVC but there is an unfortunate delay. Hopefully this will mean some movement soon. 

Timeline
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, SneakyPete said:

Depends on how you define normal. It is not unheard of, but this part of process is very opaque so people mostly speculate. Basically USCIS makes some sort of a mistake but not checking a box, NVC catches it and USCIS has to fix it. Petitioner never gets involved, it is sorted between USCIS and NVC but there is an unfortunate delay. Hopefully this will mean some movement soon. 

I hope so too!  Ultimately, it makes me wonder if my embassy requested a shipment and NVC noticed something out of place and back it went in the chain...

Again, I think you're right, it's all speculation and I can just hope they'll double-time it in seeing someone on their end --either at NVC or USCIS-- did a no-no :D

Thanks guys.  We'll see what happens next week!

Edited by hplusj

Timeline

SO, NVC got back to me.

I explained how I received a new NOA2 for the same USCIS receipt number, attached pics of both forms, and asked if there was any issue with my case.

The response was, "We have received your case, the number is <same number>."

I'm going to assume the use of a template is a good sign 🤣

Timeline

Not sure why I got this as well today, in addition to the auto-reply from last week.

It gives off 2020 vibes.  When did embassies cease/resume operations in order to make this response relevant?  At any rate, they make reference of crossing 60 days, yet the new NOA2 is now only 2 weeks in.  Confusion sets in. 🤣

If we're lucky, none of this will matter and Joberg requests cases --including ours-- tomorrow.

image.png.c14c57d21903ac92ff2ba0885da124a9.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.