kitzz

why file for EAD if you'll get a green card anyway?

75 posts in this topic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
im just wondering why AOS applicants need to apply foe EAD when they'll get their green card. It should suffice the employers if you apply for a job right?

What do you mean?

The AOS isn't instantaneous. EAD allows you to work while you wait for your green card.

im just wondering why AOS applicants need to apply foe EAD when they'll get their green card. It should suffice the employers if you apply for a job right?

You don't need an EAD if you have a Green Card. EAD is an interim benefit, which allows you to work while AOS is processing. Sure for a lot of people these days, their Green Cards process so quick that an EAD might not be necessary, but others get stuck in name check and end up waiting years to get a Green Card. For this, the EAD is an insurance policy.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

What do you mean?

The AOS isn't instantaneous. EAD allows you to work while you wait for your green card.

Exactly! My husband's AOS took 9 months. Others on here took much longer. Some on here have been waiting years. EAD is essential if you plan to work while you wait for your AOS to be approved and green card in hand. Once the green card is in YOUR hands, it IS sufficient for employers. Until then, unless you plan on staying home and not working at all, you'll need the EAD.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What do you mean?

Exactly! My husband's AOS took 9 months. Others on here took much longer. Some on here have been waiting years. EAD is essential if you plan to work while you wait for your AOS to be approved and green card in hand. Once the green card is in YOUR hands, it IS sufficient for employers. Until then, unless you plan on staying home and not working at all, you'll need the EAD.

well, i guess it depends on the state coz here in CA, they didnt ask for my EAD when i applied for a job, I just showed them my ssn and passport. I just told them that im still waiting for my aos and that it may take longer. i got my biometrics already so, im hoping to get noa soon.

well, i guess it depends on the state coz here in CA

It doesn't depend on the state, employment laws in regarding employment authorization are federal laws governed by the Department of Homeland Security.

they didnt ask for my EAD when i applied for a job, I just showed them my ssn and passport.

If you don't have an EA stamp on your I-94 then your employers are breaking the law.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
well, i guess it depends on the state coz here in CA

It doesn't depend on the state, employment laws in regarding employment authorization are federal laws governed by the Department of Homeland Security.

they didnt ask for my EAD when i applied for a job, I just showed them my ssn and passport.

If you don't have an EA stamp on your I-94 then your employers are breaking the law.

:yes:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

AND you are working illegally although when married to a USC it doesn't create a problem.

What does your SSN say -- does it say something to the effect of "employment authorized only with DHS authorization"

well, in my ssn, it says there im Department of homeland security is allowing to get a job.. so they might have had considered it..

No, your SS card says "Only Authorized for Work with DHS approval" (or something similar, I forget the exact wording), which means you cannot work without that authorization, which is the EAD.

As I said before, your employer is most likely breaking the law here. Where did you enter the USA, did you get an EA stamp on your I-94?

Edited by Dr_LHA

Filed: Timeline

kitzz,

No, that's not what it says on your SS card.

Your SS card has a notation on it that reminds employers that you need to have an EAD, issued by the USCIS, before they can employ you.

Yodrak

well, in my ssn, it says there im Department of homeland security is allowing to get a job.. so they might have had considered it..

Timeline

It most likely says, "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization" meaning you need an EAD. (I just checked mine)

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Timeline

I thought with the new fees it was inclusive now...AP, EAD and AOS.

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

It most likely says, "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization" meaning you need an EAD. (I just checked mine)

That's it! Thanks. I was going to check mine but that would involve getting out of bed! :) That said mine says "INS" instead of "DHS". Yes, its old.

Timeline
I thought with the new fees it was inclusive now...AP, EAD and AOS.

Yup, it's all included now with the new AOS fee, but you still have to submit separate applications. :)

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.