Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,303 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, DadofUSCitizen said:

After complete silence in March, I saw 5 updates on my case since April (4/4, 4/9, 4/6, 4/18 and today 4/19). Also I received the 1st personized email message today. Does this mean they are really working on my case?

image.thumb.png.d4dd652b8344abffb9fa3ca17260346b.png

“Please let us know if we can be of further assistance”, the Consulate writes 😂 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

“Please let us know if we can be of further assistance”, the Consulate writes 😂 

Based on the fact the DS-5535 wasn't asked for (according to our tracking sheet), this could be a much faster processing then us DS-5535 folks are experiencing.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

I had emailed consulate and gotten no reply about this, but...

Does anyone know what steps to take to update documentation/destination address (for SSN and Green cards) if the sponsor/petitioner moves while we're in AP? Do you need to contact NVC, USCIS, and the consulate? Specific forms? Maybe nothing until you cross the border? 

Thankfully consulate isn't replying to confirm my research 🫥

“Maybe nothing until you cross the border?“ 

Yes, just update a new address in activation on USCIS website  , to  receive green card.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Based on the fact the DS-5535 wasn't asked for (according to our tracking sheet), this could be a much faster processing then us DS-5535 folks are experiencing.

@Superluminal I like what you said, hope it is true but will not count on it. I will update here with the progress of my case.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Yes, seems that since your case does not fall under the Security Advisor Opinion scrutiny it should be adjudicated sooner than the varying complex INA 221(g) refusals slapped with the DS-5535.  Best of luck with a minimal wait

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

Yes, seems that since your case does not fall under the Security Advisor Opinion scrutiny it should be adjudicated sooner than the varying complex INA 221(g) refusals slapped with the DS-5535.  Best of luck with a minimal wait

@CarmenD Thanks a lot for your words. I hope this process will move faster than now for all of us. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

I had emailed consulate and gotten no reply about this, but...

Does anyone know what steps to take to update documentation/destination address (for SSN and Green cards) if the sponsor/petitioner moves while we're in AP? Do you need to contact NVC, USCIS, and the consulate? Specific forms? Maybe nothing until you cross the border? 

Thankfully consulate isn't replying to confirm my research 🫥

You will get another chance to update it when you endorse your visa. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

11 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

Sorry to hear about. Yes in some case, CO definitely know prior to interview, you are going to get DS-5535. They need your fingerprints during the interview so that your record can be checked against the criminal/stop list databases as a part of  extreme vetting. 

Hopefully processing of DS-5535 will speed up this year. 

From what I’m reading the DS-5535 is taking between 6 months to 2 years. So I just filled the form and won’t bother thinking about it anymore as my wife decided to move and live with me in Canada. Not sure if her move to Canada will impact the sponsorship that she has filed already for me, but who knows, we might not move to the US anymore even if I end up getting the immigration visa.

I had my interview on the 16th of April at the Montreal consulate. The interview went good in my opinion but I and was handed a ds-5535 form and told to scan a QR code because they needed "additional info". Despite me being born in Canada, and having no record of travel in the last 15 years. I do not understand why I was given the form. My police clearance was clear, everything was clear.  I really don't want to wait especially knowing how long this might take, does anyone know if I can visit the USA while this paper processes?

1 hour ago, candy895 said:

I had my interview on the 16th of April at the Montreal consulate. The interview went good in my opinion but I and was handed a ds-5535 form and told to scan a QR code because they needed "additional info". Despite me being born in Canada, and having no record of travel in the last 15 years. I do not understand why I was given the form. My police clearance was clear, everything was clear.  I really don't want to wait especially knowing how long this might take, does anyone know if I can visit the USA while this paper processes?

What is your visa type?
You can travel to US as a visitor on your Canadian passport. Just carry the proof of your ties to Canada just in case. If the CBP officer ask you about your visa case, just tell them it is in processing.

Edited by Leo The Great

9 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

What is your visa type?
You can travel to US as a visitor on your Canadian passport. Just carry the proof of your ties to Canada just in case. If the CBP officer ask you about your visa case, just tell them it is in processing.

My visa type is the K-1 Visa, what would be some examples of proof? would a round trip be sufficient? and do you know if I would have to update the consulate that I am visiting?

Timeline
1 hour ago, candy895 said:

My visa type is the K-1 Visa, what would be some examples of proof? would a round trip be sufficient? and do you know if I would have to update the consulate that I am visiting?

Proof of a round trip airline reservation is perfect.  You’re not obligated to inform the consulate that you’re traveling to the U.S., nor do they care to know.  They have visibility on your travel.  Check out the I-94 website travel records for US Visitors  

20 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

Sorry to hear about. Yes in some case, CO definitely know prior to interview, you are going to get DS-5535. They need your fingerprints during the interview so that your record can be checked against the criminal/stop list databases as a part of  extreme vetting. 

Hopefully processing of DS-5535 will speed up this year. 

In ALL cases. Not some cases

6 hours ago, candy895 said:

Could it be related to country of origin?

10 hours ago, candy895 said:

Just curious what your ethnic background is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.