Kimberleyjayneaga

I-751 3 years ago - still no interview

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In May 2022, it said online that they were ready to schedule my interview, but I have not received any paperwork since then with reference to it. They just keep sending my renewal notices to extend my visa. It has been renewed until May 2025. Was I meant to somehow schedule an interview? I applied in Jan 2021!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kimberleyjayneaga said:

In May 2022, it said online that they were ready to schedule my interview, but I have not received any paperwork since then with reference to it. They just keep sending my renewal notices to extend my visa. It has been renewed until May 2025. Was I meant to somehow schedule an interview? I applied in Jan 2021!

I-751s take awfully long. Mine took 28 months. Are you thinking about naturalizing? You are likely already eligible. Filing N-400 usually moves things fast.

2 hours ago, Kimberleyjayneaga said:

Have you moved since? Did you file AR-11? What visa do you mean? LPRs don't need visa to live in the US.

Timeline
21 hours ago, OldUser said:

Have you moved since? Did you file AR-11? What visa do you mean? LPRs don't need visa to live in the US.

Hi, sorry, I should have been clearer! I meant, my green card keeps being extended, so I can still leave the country.

I filed in 2021, and it should take 22 months but now it has been three years! I haven't moved; still married; the paperwork was filed in time. They have sent my green card extensions to the right address, so I know they have the address. 

I have put in a request to ask where it is, but I am also going to contact my representative. Not sure what else I can do. The local office moved so I am wondering if somehow my letter got lost in the shuffle. I am just at a loss because it has been so long with no contact. 

Timeline
23 hours ago, GEOntificator said:

I-751s take awfully long. Mine took 28 months. Are you thinking about naturalizing? You are likely already eligible. Filing N-400 usually moves things fast.

No, we aren't considering naturalizing atm based on long-term future plans. 

5 minutes ago, Kimberleyjayneaga said:

No, we aren't considering naturalizing atm based on long-term future plans. 

Writ of Mandamus is there to help then.

If you don't mind, why not naturalize?

Would your US spouse give up US citizenship ultimately? If not, she'd be liable to file taxes no matter where she lives. It's more fun to file together 😃

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Writ of Mandamus is there to help then.

If you don't mind, why not naturalize?

Would your US spouse give up US citizenship ultimately? If not, she'd be liable to file taxes no matter where she lives. It's more fun to file together 😃

I am contacting my congressperson tomorrow; I am hoping they may be able to help. Regarding naturalization, we are not 100% sure of our plans yet, and from what I understand, I would have to pay taxes if we do decide to move back to my home (UK). I know he would have to continue paying taxes, but I guess we hadn't considered filing together from abroad. We obviously file together here, so if it is advantageous, I wouldn't be opposed. 

1 hour ago, Kimberleyjayneaga said:

I am contacting my congressperson tomorrow; I am hoping they may be able to help. Regarding naturalization, we are not 100% sure of our plans yet, and from what I understand, I would have to pay taxes if we do decide to move back to my home (UK). I know he would have to continue paying taxes, but I guess we hadn't considered filing together from abroad. We obviously file together here, so if it is advantageous, I wouldn't be opposed. 

The foreign earned income exclusion is $120,000 per person. So $240 000 for both of you as far as I understand. Unless you're planning earning much more elsewhere, I wouldn't worry about taxes and naturalize.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

I'm not a strong believer in congressman inquiry. They simply act on your behalf asking about the status of your case as far as I know.

But it's worth trying.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
23 hours ago, OldUser said:

The foreign earned income exclusion is $120,000 per person. So $240 000 for both of you as far as I understand. Unless you're planning earning much more elsewhere, I wouldn't worry about taxes and naturalize.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

I'm not a strong believer in congressman inquiry. They simply act on your behalf asking about the status of your case as far as I know.

But it's worth trying.

Let us know how it goes.

I didn't know that! Thank you for the info, certainly worth looking into, especially as it seems my case has somehow got lost. I will keep this thread updated (hopefully with good news! haha) 

49 minutes ago, Kimberleyjayneaga said:

I didn't know that! Thank you for the info, certainly worth looking into, especially as it seems my case has somehow got lost. I will keep this thread updated (hopefully with good news! haha) 

Important note: you have to actually file taxes each year, list and exclude foreign income. Meaning you won't be paying them if within the limit, but reporting for sure.

But as LPR you'd be doing the same until you lose the status (tylically by filing I-407)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
On 2/21/2024 at 10:48 PM, OldUser said:

Important note: you have to actually file taxes each year, list and exclude foreign income. Meaning you won't be paying them if within the limit, but reporting for sure.

But as LPR you'd be doing the same until you lose the status (tylically by filing I-407)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thank you for the extra info! This certainly seems like it might be a better option than waiting what seems like forever. No word back from the representative or USCIS, but I will keep everyone updated. 

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi all, just an update: I finally received a letter in the mail about my interview! It is in 2 weeks, I still have no idea why this took so long but just glad that there is progress :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.