New beggining

Work visa steps please!

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Im from the UK and live here also. My uncle is American and lives there. He is a silversmith and still runs a very small business doing so in the USA etc. He requires me to do some silversmith work for him as he knows my workmanship being part of the family etc. How would i go about getting a working visa which allows me to do so there etc? Does he have to file for it or can i do the work from my side etc?

Thanks in advance. 

16 minutes ago, Louis Brophy said:

Hi all, 

Im from the UK and live here also. My uncle is American and lives there. He is a silversmith and still runs a very small business doing so in the USA etc. He requires me to do some silversmith work for him as he knows my workmanship being part of the family etc. How would i go about getting a working visa which allows me to do so there etc? Does he have to file for it or can i do the work from my side etc?

Thanks in advance. 

How long do you need to be there for to do this work? Normally he'd file for you, with a lawyers help. Does he have an immigration lawyer and if so, what visa have they suggested you may qualify for?

Edited by appleblossom

1 minute ago, Louis Brophy said:

approximately 1 year of work! No lawyer as of yet, hoping to do so without the added cost of lawyers etc, this is the first point of call to help find the information out etc  

There are visas you can DIY for the US, but I wouldn't attempt a work visa without a lawyer personally, just because of the evidence they'll need to produce to get it for you and them knowing what that should be. My temp work visa application was months of preparation and a file of evidence several inches thick, and it was granted in days thanks to my lawyer putting the best case forward for me.

But if your Uncle wants to do it himself, then I'd still suggest he has a consult with a lawyer to see which visa route may be possible (if any). 

How long have you been a silversmith for, do you have qualifications in it, have you ever done any other job? Has your Uncle advertised and been unsuccessful in finding an American to do the job? Would you want the option to stay beyond the year, or just a one year temporary stay and then return? 

16 minutes ago, New beggining said:

Hi,

Yes i did consult a lawyer through my previous thread, no real way as my father doesn't live there and hasn't for many years etc. 

So work visa/ green card seems the best option. 

Ah, ok. Green card would be a long way off, unless you would qualify for one for exceptional work that is in the interests of the US i.e. EB1A or EB2 NIW. But for a silversmith I'd think you'd need to be Crown Jewels level for that - or at least very highly regarded and working for people of note. And not all temp visas would have a direct route to a green card, so that's another thing to factor in if you do think you may want to stay longer term.

But concentrate on the temporary work visa for now (unless of course you do work on the Crown Jewels!), but I'd still suggest a consult with a good lawyer. It will cost a bit, but nothing compared to the fees your Uncle will lose if a visa application is rejected, so he may want to invest the money in getting some good advice first?

If not, then without knowing a lot more about your and your skills/background, it's hard for anybody here to say if you may qualify for a visa. So start here (left hand side of the page has details on all the temp visas) - https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states You can see which of those you may qualify for, and speak to your Uncle about which he's prepared to petition you for. I'd start with looking at the H-1B (if you have enough experience/qualifications to qualify), the H-2B, O-1 maybe (if your ability is extraordinary). 

Best of luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.