James Kung

Oath Ceremony

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

First of all, thanks a lot for having this great blog. I learned a lot by reading it. I have a question. I have my citizenship interview scheduled for Wednesday at 1pm in LA. Does anyone know the odds I can make the oath on the same day? Otherwise, does anyone know in which days the oath takes place in LA? How long should I expect to wait?

Thank you very much,

James

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 hours ago, James Kung said:

Hi everyone, 

First of all, thanks a lot for having this great blog. I learned a lot by reading it. I have a question. I have my citizenship interview scheduled for Wednesday at 1pm in LA. Does anyone know the odds I can make the oath on the same day? Otherwise, does anyone know in which days the oath takes place in LA? How long should I expect to wait?

Thank you very much,

James

My husband did the oath ceremony in Chatsworth. They held an oath ceremony every 2 hours while we were there, so unless you are scheduled near the end of the day, you will take the oath that day. You just might have to kill some time if you finish too close to an oath start time because they'll put you in the next batch.

My husband finished his interview 15 minutes before an oath ceremony and he had to wait till the next one. We got some food and then came back 2 hours later.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, JenIE said:

My husband did the oath ceremony in Chatsworth. They held an oath ceremony every 2 hours while we were there, so unless you are scheduled near the end of the day, you will take the oath that day. You just might have to kill some time if you finish too close to an oath start time because they'll put you in the next batch.

My husband finished his interview 15 minutes before an oath ceremony and he had to wait till the next one. We got some food and then came back 2 hours later.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Could I ask at what time did your husband take the interview? I'm scheduled at 1pm. 

4 minutes ago, Lexie_777 said:

@James Kung Same day oath is possible. My friend got same day oath last January in LA. But it does depend on the day and officer. If you make changes to your name, most likely you'll have to wait.

Can I ask you what's the date you filed N-400 on?

Thank you! I filed N-400 on Aug 17, and they waived the biometrics. Do you know if the oath happens in specific days/times?

Timeline
Just now, James Kung said:

Thank you so much! Could I ask at what time did your husband take the interview? I'm scheduled at 1pm. 

We were scheduled for 10:50am but he didn't get called in until 12:50pm. He got out of the interview at 1:15 and took the oath at 3:30pm. 

It seemed like 3:30 was the last ceremony that day. They apologized for being slow that day so I'm not sure if our wait was typical. If you don't get seen for 2 hours you'd miss the oath that day, so I'd make sure you get there early to check in as they issue you a number when you check in and call them in order.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, James Kung said:

Thank you! I filed N-400 on Aug 17, and they waived the biometrics. Do you know if the oath happens in specific days/times?

While we were there we saw oaths happen at 11:30, 1:30, and 3:30 and ours at 3:30 seemed like it was the last one, which makes sense since I doubt they'd hold one at 5:30pm.

1 minute ago, JenIE said:

While we were there we saw oaths happen at 11:30, 1:30, and 3:30 and ours at 3:30 seemed like it was the last one, which makes sense since I doubt they'd hold one at 5:30pm.

Thanks a lot! Do you think it's possible to get the interview earlier if I show up before my scheduled time? Like showing up at noon with a 1pm interview? Thanks again, this has been very helpful!

Timeline
Just now, James Kung said:

Thanks a lot! Do you think it's possible to get the interview earlier if I show up before my scheduled time? Like showing up at noon with a 1pm interview? Thanks again, this has been very helpful!

I believe the notice says you can only show up 30 minutes before. They look at your letter when you check in so I'm not sure they'd give you a number if you are earlier than that.

It's possible it was busier for us because it was a holiday week and maybe staff was on vacation. Fingers crossed you don't have to wait as long!

15 minutes ago, JenIE said:

We were scheduled for 10:50am but he didn't get called in until 12:50pm. He got out of the interview at 1:15 and took the oath at 3:30pm. 

It seemed like 3:30 was the last ceremony that day. They apologized for being slow that day so I'm not sure if our wait was typical. If you don't get seen for 2 hours you'd miss the oath that day, so I'd make sure you get there early to check in as they issue you a number when you check in and call them in order.

Will do, thanks so much again and congrats to your husband!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
15 hours ago, James Kung said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you very much,

James

You might have the oath ceremony the same day. I did my interview in Chatsworth at 6:45 am and took the oath at 9:30am / first group of 6 , they had ceremonies every 2 hours.

Congratulations 👍🥳😉

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.