Snozzberry

London Medical - Mental Health Experience

3 posts in this topic

I've seen various posts regarding the London VISA medical and mental health. The experience of the medical and what to bring to support you in your medical.

I had my medical today, so I'd like to share my experience.

I was diagnosed with BPD in 2014. I self harmed in 2013, several small cuts on my left arm. Self harmed in 2019. 7-8 large lacerations to my right arm, large and very noticeable. A suicide attempt in 2020 involving a Section 2 hospitalisation for 2 weeks. Then a voluntary hospitalisation in 2021 for 2 weeks (this was to adjust medication). Various treatments in-between.

For 2+ years my mental health has been stable and good. No thoughts of self harm or suicide. Was discharged by my Psychiatrist in 2021. Not on any current medication aside from Propranolol for anxiety.

On the I-84 medical questionnaire, it asks you to bring a separate piece of paper listing hospitalisations, self harm etc... so I wrote a list of hospitalisation dates, dates of periods of self harm. I also brought with me two GP letters.

One letter was from my regular GP. One from a Private GP. These both listed dates of self harm/suicide also, that I was not a harm to myself/others. Also that my Mental Health has been stable/good for 2-3 years. My regular GP wrote me a 2 A4 report, which I believe really helped. My GP listed treatment, dates, quotes from Psychiatric reports etc... I believe the Private GP letter cost me £35 and because of the length/time it took my regular GP to write the report. She charged me £125.

The appointment went as most peoples did in terms of x-ray and vaccinations. When I saw the Doctor they were very nice. They had looked over all the paperwork I brought. We had a 5-10 minute discussion on mental health. She asked me various questions. What treatments have I had. Went over the dates of self harm/hospitalisations. That was it really.

During the phsycial check, she examined my self harm scars, though then moved into checking my nose, throat, breathing and all the rest.

Once the appointment with the Dr was over, I asked her. "Even though I know the ultimate decision is upto the Consulate, though do you feel my mental health will make me inadmissible?". She smiled and said along the lines of. You're marked as category B which won't make you inadmissible. Though reiterated it's upto the embassy. She said I do have an extensive history of mental health, though they're primary concern is people who have had issues within the past 12 months. Issues being, self harm, suicide, hospitalisations etc...

The whole process took maybe 70 minutes.

3 hours ago, Snozzberry said:

I had my medical today, so I'd like to share my experience.

Thank you for sharing.  Please do let us know how it goes at the interview.  Wishing you all the best with the rest of your visa process.

11 hours ago, Chancy said:

Thank you for sharing.  Please do let us know how it goes at the interview.  Wishing you all the best with the rest of your visa process.

Thankyou for the best wishes! It's been a long process. My consulate interview is on the 16th November. So all being well and my CR-1 Visa is granted. I should be moving late December or Early January. Exciting times!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.