heynow

i864 vs i864a

8 posts in this topic

So my numbers qualify for CR1 with bank savings and Roth IRA funds combined but want to be safe so am planning to have folks do a I864 (not i864a) with their income IRS return and property assets value appraised, which also meet requirements of poverty levels.

We will be moving into the apartment on their property (their address and our address would be same except a Unit number) but it is not in their same house so that way we do not have to include them in our 'household members' count, which makes our required financial number lower.

We could live in the same house with them too but I'm seeing the above scenario as the best for a stronger case, is this best way or am I missing any options? (besides things like moving their for six months first etc)

Appreciate thoughts, experience, options;)

On 9/6/2023 at 4:06 PM, heynow said:

planning to have folks do a I864 (not i864a) with their income IRS return and property assets value appraised, which also meet requirements of poverty levels.

Prepare I-864 from joint sponsor & I-864A from joint sponsor's spouse.

1 minute ago, heynow said:

so does that mean I would do one i864 by me, then my dad would do one i864 for him and his spouse my mom would do a i864A?  total: two i864, one i864A   ?

Yes.

47 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Yes.

thnx, btw do you think it is wise to include a letter from parents that basically says " Son and CR1 spouse will live at no cost in a separate apartment unit we own on our property. "    since this is what we will do. And thought it may help finance or domicile requirements...?

On 9/6/2023 at 11:06 AM, heynow said:

So my numbers qualify for CR1 with bank savings and Roth IRA funds combined but want to be safe

What are you talking about? If you qualify, you qualify. There is no "extra super duper" qualify.

We will be moving into the apartment on their property (their address and our address would be same except a Unit number) but it is not in their same house so that way we do not have to include them in our 'household members' count, which makes our required financial number lower.

You put the number of people that will be living together, at least that's what I did, I lived with to other people at the time of filing but I know once my wife and 2 children arrived we would be in a new place just the 4 of us. So I put 4 people. We stayed in a hotel the first 2 days after they arrived waiting for our new apartment to be ready to move in. It doesn't matter what your circumstances are now, and they do not care about your parents or addresses.

We could live in the same house with them too but I'm seeing the above scenario as the best for a stronger case, is this best way or am I missing any options? (besides things like moving their for six months first etc)

You mention wanting to be safe and making a stronger case. You are way overthinking the process You are looking at your case at every possible angle and overthinking every part of it. This is not meant as an insult because it is human nature and almost everyone does it. Think of the thousands of cases that they go through, do you think that they are scrutinizing every nuance and detail of every single case the way that you are your own?  Trust me they are not, they are looking for red flags and mostly for relationships that do not seem to be authentic. That is the only part you should concern yourself with is evidence of a bonafide relationship. Pictures and proof of constant and regular communication. That is the only thing that will make your case stronger  or weaker.

And in answer to your original question, just file i864 even if you qualify to use the i864a. I qualified to use the i864a but they requested the i864. I resubmitted and it got kicked back again. I called and complained that all of their information says to submit the i864a. The guy I spoke to was very nice and said to me, I know you are right but,  if they asked for it you need to submit it or they will keep kicking it back.  So I did and it went through. I would say that my stubbornness on that issue cost me a couple months.

2 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

And in answer to your original question, just file i864 even if you qualify to use the i864a. I qualified to use the i864a but they requested the i864. I resubmitted and it got kicked back again. I called and complained that all of their information says to submit the i864a. The guy I spoke to was very nice and said to me, I know you are right but,  if they asked for it you need to submit it or they will keep kicking it back.  So I did and it went through. I would say that my stubbornness on that issue cost me a couple months.

All of the places I wrote i864a I meant i864EZ

Edited by RO_AH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.