ktun

Laptop/Notebooks on Ebay

8 posts in this topic

Anyone bought a laptop/notebook computer on Ebay or other website? I pretty much know what I want with features, memory capacity, speed etc, and buying this way would seem to save a bunch of money.

Is it worth the risk, or should I stick with BestBuy?

Thank you,

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

I don't have a problem with it. Just look for good feedback and a their return policy (if you want).

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I have been buying and selling on eBay for about 5 years now and have only ever been stitched up once! I bought something and didn't get it.. But I did eventually get my money back.

I also bought a laptop (Which I am using as I type!) And the transaction was fine. As mentioned above.. Make sure you check someone's feedback. Also, make sure that you check out what they have sold in the past. The reason I say that is because every now and then people have their accounts hijacked. So if you notice that someone in the past has always sold CD's or kids clothes and then all of a sudden start to sell LARGE amounts of expensive stuff then be a little bit wary.

Also, I would advise you not to buy anything of great value from a new eBay member. Not saying that all new eBay members are going to con you because everyone has to be new at some point, but there is definitely more of a risk.

Just stick to the above rules and keep your wits about you and you will be fine.

Another tip is to always pay by Paypal. They have buyer protection and if anything does go wrong, you will almost certainly get your money back.

Edited to correct spelling mistakes... Still trying to get used to typing on this laptop! :lol:

Edited by toshtishtash

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

I have been buying and selling on eBay for about 5 years now and have only ever been stitched up once! I bought something and didn't get it.. But I did eventually get my money back.

I also bought a laptop (Which I am using as I type!) And the transaction was fine. As mentioned above.. Make sure you check someone's feedback. Also, make sure that you check out what they have sold in the past. The reason I say that is because every now and then people have their accounts hijacked. So if you notice that someone in the past has always sold CD's or kids clothes and then all of a sudden start to sell LARGE amounts of expensive stuff then be a little bit wary.

Also, I would advise you not to buy anything of great value from a new eBay member. Not saying that all new eBay members are going to con you because everyone has to be new at some point, but there is definitely more of a risk.

Just stick to the above rules and keep your wits about you and you will be fine.

Another tip is to always pay by Paypal. They have buyer protection and if anything does go wrong, you will almost certainly get your money back.

Edited to correct spelling mistakes... Still trying to get used to typing on this laptop! :lol:

very well said. another major thing is never use your debit card to pay for your purchase, use your credit card.one that has a purchase protection, so even if the person try to scam you, you can always get the credit card to fight for the money. it happen to me, not only I never was out of the money(credit card), but the credit card disputed with paypall and got the refund for me.

I never bought a lab top thru ebay, but I bought an hp computer. I am very happy with it.

good luck :thumbs:

3sila

Thanks guys for all the advice :yes: I have bought quite a few things on Ebay, but never really anything over $30, so your experiences helped a lot.

I went ahead and bought a laptop on ebay a couple of days ago, taking all your comments into account. The seller has 99.5% positive feedback and has been selling laptops for more than a year there. I paid with a credit card via paypal and the puter has been shipped via UPS, should arrive Monday!! I think it is going to be good.

Thank you again,

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

One of the first things I ever bought on eBay was my old Apple iBook. I was a bit paranoid, but it turned out that I got exactly what I paid for - a brand new, boxed iBook, exactly as described, and at a very very good price.

Since then (this was about 5 years ago) I've bought and sold hundreds of things on there - I'd say you should be fine if you follow the advice above and check out your seller carefully before bidding on or buying anything. Another thing to check even with sellers with a good feedback rating (obviously higher numbers are better than the ones with a feedback score of zero or one - and I'd say definitely steer clear of anyone with a score of less than 98% unless you can see that the negative feedback wasn't their fault!), is what it is that they've been buying/selling to get their rating. Hijacked accounts aren't the only problem on there - some scammers start an account, buy a hundred or so items for 1 cent (there's plenty of cheap stuff to be found on there - ebooks etc) and then start listing very expensive things that they don't really have/have no intention of sending to the buyer. Another big scam on there used to be sellers who would list high-value stuff like laptops, iPods, expensive mobile phones etc... and then fill the listing with tons and tons of copied-and-pasted technical info etc, and right at the bottom, or in the middle of hide a bit of text that says something like 'you are bidding on a picture of this laptop' or 'you are bidding on a link to buy this item'... oh, and also the ones that were actually part of some pyramid scheme, but make it look like you're bidding on a real item. Hopefully they crack down on that stuff more now, but... just be careful and read everything through before bidding!

Oops, didn't mean to ramble on so much... but anyway, if you're careful and don't fall for anything that looks too good to be true (because if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't!)... oh yeah, and pay by PayPal (make sure they have the PayPal buyer protection logo on the auction - new sellers who haven't sold anything yet won't have that)... you can probably get yourself a good bargain! :thumbs:

D'oh!!!

Didn't realise this thread was old and only saw after posting that you've already bought one. Oops. Glad to hear you found something good on there, anyway! :)

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

I am glad it seems to be going well for you!

I bought an old laptop off ebay before my trip to Russia to store photographs on since my poor digital camera has such a small capacity and the memory sticks were so expensive (that was the only thing I noticed that cost about the same here and there...yes I priced them there, $60 here and 2700 rubles there for the same size, don't recall what I was looking at at the time though.

Laptop worked well even though it was considerably slower then I would have liked...

I still use it as a DOS box, even had it connected to the internet using Windows for Workgroups 3.11 for awhile but I did not like the cord (main reason) so I stopped that.

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!