Inflatableboots

DCF from UK due to job and post-grad offer

16 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2023 at 3:29 PM, BonnieBonkie said:

Hi there! This was... incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I hope everything has gone well since you last wrote. 

For a bit of background, I'm a USC residing in London (grad visa), and would like my Swedish husband (in the UK with ILR) to join me in the US following my new job offer for a Feb start. I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering: 

1. I believe this was already asked/answered, but regarding your wife's job offer - did they have any follow up questions for her/her new company? I'd like to alert my new employer if they should expect to be contacted, etc. 

2. Did you guys have any issues with using your wife's parents as co-sponsors? 

3. Question about travel during this process... two parts: A. Once applying, were you able to travel freely? My partner & I are visiting Sweden soon, so I'd like to know whether that'll cause any problems and B. Assuming your wife was able to travel during this process? Namely curious about her experience if her UK visa expired during the application process/once she returned to the US (my visa runs out in Feb... assuming the DCF process won't be that quick). 

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

Thank you, I'm glad it helped! I have visa in hand, counting down the days until I move.

1. There was no follow up with her employer. The letter was purely to get the embassy to agree to following the DCF process, and they accepted it with a summary of the situation.

2. No issues, but we went above and beyond, providing each of their tax return documents for the last three years, as well as my wife's. Maybe overkill, but better safe than sorry.

3. A. I have been able to travel freely. I had an ESTA already so was able to travel to the US between the I-130 approval and the visa interview. I have also visited the EU without any issues - I don't even think the border police noticed I had a US visa as it's not relevant. Just make sure you have valid passports/visas to travel to those countries!

B.My wife returned to the US shortly after the initial I-130 submission interview. Her UK visa has not expired yet.

If you submit the I-130 before your visa expires then you will be fine, even if you leave the UK afterwards, because your work will be done. You will not need to attend anything else, only your spouse.

It is imperative that you contact the US Embassy in London ASAP to confirm you can proceed with DCF and get an appointment to submit the I-130. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.