Kanja

Is research considered work?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

Hey all! 
have a question that may be helpful for others as well. Few months ago I posted about an international student that may be having financial difficulties and challenges paying tuition. Luckily, seems as everything has worked out and they are all set with their tuition. But another question came up, are research studies that offer incentives such as amazon gift cards and visa gift cards allowed on a student visa? Or would that be considered work? The student mentioned they often see posters around their school asking for volunteers. None of the studies that they have seen offer cash but incentives such as lunch or gift cards and all are under $200.

I did a lot of studies when I was in college but never knew if it was considered work. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Googled it and got the same answer from several colleges and universities however every rule has its exemptions which can be the things like the amount  ,  is it a Christmas or birthday gift.   

but just giving one at any time to help student fees , then no as IRS considers it income and in this case the student cannot have income

does it happen ,  yes 

What i saw at college was athletes finding cash gits that were placed in their dressers by supportive alumni when they were not suppose to be paid as they are ameteur(s)

IRS rules on taxable income. ... A gift card cannot be distributed to a student or other non-employee without a completed W-9 first being received.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Googled it and got the same answer from several colleges and universities however every rule has its exemptions which can be the things like the amount  ,  is it a Christmas or birthday gift.   

but just giving one at any time to help student fees , then no as IRS considers it income and in this case the student cannot have income

does it happen ,  yes 

What i saw at college was athletes finding cash gits that were placed in their dressers by supportive alumni when they were not suppose to be paid as they are ameteur(s)

IRS rules on taxable income. ... A gift card cannot be distributed to a student or other non-employee without a completed W-9 first being received.

This is very helpful and makes sense! Thank you. 

im speaking specifically about research, like medical research for example . In college I worked at a lab where we gave folks $25 for their blood . We didn’t consider it a payment more like a stipend for the inconvenience that they can use for lunch and transportation. 

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kanja said:

This is very helpful and makes sense! Thank you. 

im speaking specifically about research, like medical research for example . In college I worked at a lab where we gave folks $25 for their blood . We didn’t consider it a payment more like a stipend for the inconvenience that they can use for lunch and transportation. 

This rule did change (can't remember the year) but now

6  When someone donates an asset they incur a material financial loss and the IRS allows a tax deduction offset. However, since plasma donors receive a financial reward, plasma donation is considered a sale that yields taxable income.Feb 7, 2022

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline

Thank you!

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.