Dewald & Brittney

Do we need a joint sponsor?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello again everyone,

As I have progressed to the NVC stage, pandora's box of questions has been opened. Here is the context:

My wife's (USC) tax transcripts do not show the sufficient income requirement due to us having lived in Thailand for three years before beginning the immigration process. Her current job pays well over the income requirement, however tax filing for 2022 hasn't started yet. Will we need to find a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support, or can we supply pay stubs and a work contract to show that she makes enough money in the US?

Thanks in advance,

Dewald

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Dewald & Brittney said:

Hello again everyone,

As I have progressed to the NVC stage, pandora's box of questions has been opened. Here is the context:

My wife's (USC) tax transcripts do not show the sufficient income requirement due to us having lived in Thailand for three years before beginning the immigration process. Her current job pays well over the income requirement, however tax filing for 2022 hasn't started yet. Will we need to find a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support, or can we supply pay stubs and a work contract to show that she makes enough money in the US?

Thanks in advance,

Dewald

Assuming her job is in the USA, probably not.  Current income is the King.  Current income does not come from a tax return.  In my extensive experienced I know very well, two things.  The affidavit of support is the most difficult form to complete correctly and second, it is best the US Citizen Petitioner takes the lead in doing the homework and completing the form.  Time for her to download both the form and its instructions, then become A-Students of both.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
10 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Assuming her job is in the USA, probably not.  Current income is the King.  Current income does not come from a tax return.  In my extensive experienced I know very well, two things.  The affidavit of support is the most difficult form to complete correctly and second, it is best the US Citizen Petitioner takes the lead in doing the homework and completing the form.  Time for her to download both the form and its instructions, then become A-Students of both.

Thank you, that helps a lot. She is a teacher in the US yes, so her pay is well over the 23k requirement. Time to start collecting pay stubs. From my research I see that if I file the I-864 regular, I will need the W2's but not with the EZ form. Based on the context of my previous question, do you recommend in our case we use the regular I-864, or will the I-864EZ be sufficient as I am the only beneficiary?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Dewald & Brittney said:

Thank you, that helps a lot. She is a teacher in the US yes, so her pay is well over the 23k requirement. Time to start collecting pay stubs. From my research I see that if I file the I-864 regular, I will need the W2's but not with the EZ form. Based on the context of my previous question, do you recommend in our case we use the regular I-864, or will the I-864EZ be sufficient as I am the only beneficiary?

There's good reason why she needs to do the homework here.  She cannot use the I-864EZ.  She will not need W2 forms either if she has tax return transcripts from the past.  If she doesn't and her income was foreign, there will BE NO W2 form.  Understanding US federal tax returns is ONE but not the ONLY reason she needs to take charge of this.  YOU do not file the I-864.  It's FOR YOU, but not BY YOU.

One current pay stub is sufficient.  She would also have a contract.  Get HER on this.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
36 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

There's good reason why she needs to do the homework here.  She cannot use the I-864EZ.  She will not need W2 forms either if she has tax return transcripts from the past.  If she doesn't and her income was foreign, there will BE NO W2 form.  Understanding US federal tax returns is ONE but not the ONLY reason she needs to take charge of this.  YOU do not file the I-864.  It's FOR YOU, but not BY YOU.

One current pay stub is sufficient.  She would also have a contract.  Get HER on this.

Right. I get what you are saying. At the moment I am visiting her in the US, so I will sit down with her and make sure she gets on it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.