camilocl9

J1 Visa as a teacher

2 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I'd like to talk about my case, I don't know if someone might help, advice or tell me if you know someone who can. 

I applied for a J1 visa in a school in Texas, I imagined everything was going to be fantastic, I would learn as much as I can, earn some money and maybe even study in some future before going back to my home country. However, things are not going as expected. I'm not enjoying my job, I usually feel lost, things are not going well for me, I'm not enjoying classes and I feel my students are not enjoying it either. In my home countrty, I was an English teacher, I really loved my job but it wasn't well paid, the thing is here in the USA I'm teaching English but as a mother tongue, I mean, how to read, write, math, phonics, etc. Which has been so challenging for me that now I feel I don't have the knowledge and people act as if I understand how things work here, it's so frustating. I'd like to receive more training and some help, I read and I keep making efforts but I'm also realistic, I don't know how long I will be able to continue in a job that becomes a pain in my neck daily. On the other hand, I can't go back to my home country because I have a credit to pay and some money problems. I need to get rid of these economic issues before leaving the us. I don't know if I might be able to change my job or finding a different solution to my situation.  

Any comment would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

23 hours ago, camilocl9 said:

Hi, 

I'd like to talk about my case, I don't know if someone might help, advice or tell me if you know someone who can. 

I applied for a J1 visa in a school in Texas, I imagined everything was going to be fantastic, I would learn as much as I can, earn some money and maybe even study in some future before going back to my home country. However, things are not going as expected. I'm not enjoying my job, I usually feel lost, things are not going well for me, I'm not enjoying classes and I feel my students are not enjoying it either. In my home countrty, I was an English teacher, I really loved my job but it wasn't well paid, the thing is here in the USA I'm teaching English but as a mother tongue, I mean, how to read, write, math, phonics, etc. Which has been so challenging for me that now I feel I don't have the knowledge and people act as if I understand how things work here, it's so frustating. I'd like to receive more training and some help, I read and I keep making efforts but I'm also realistic, I don't know how long I will be able to continue in a job that becomes a pain in my neck daily. On the other hand, I can't go back to my home country because I have a credit to pay and some money problems. I need to get rid of these economic issues before leaving the us. I don't know if I might be able to change my job or finding a different solution to my situation.  

Any comment would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

I feel you. I am lucky I have colleagues who helped me during my first year. There are trainings available that you can attend in your district. You can ask your lead teacher whenever you feel lost also you can ask a teacher in your department to observe you and ask for a feedback so that you know where to start. Do not hesitate to ask for help from other teachers. Don't give up! You got this

Edited by Pillowchis
deleted error

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.