US_VJ

N400 while I-751 is pending

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, 

I am eligible for N400 starting next month based on my marriage to USC. My I-751 is still pending (Vermont Service Center, been around 11 months since I applied), and while I know that I can apply for naturalization, I was wondering if applying for naturalization while I-751 pending slows or expedites things.

Looking at the forums and timeline excel sheets, I think my I-751 should be decided in the next 3-4 months. Therefore I am considering if I should wait on filing N-400 until my I-751 is adjudicated.  The reason being that I wouldn't want to be in a situation where applying for N-400 would mean that my I-751 will follow the N-400 timeline, and it won't be adjudicated for another 12-15 months (NYC field office). I'd rather have my 10 year green card in the next few months, instead of waiting for another year or so while I-751 and N-400 are adjudicated together. Also, I want to avoid the joint interview (I751- and N-400), just because it's inconvenient, as we have to coordinate with two employers instead of one for a time off etc.  We submitted enough documents for I-751, so I think when an officer reviews our file, we are likely to be not interviewed. However, if a pending I-751 really expedites the N-400 interview, I wouldn't mind the inconvenience.

Any other folks in a similar situation? How did you decide?  

Edited by SS_SS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If naturalization is the ultimate goal, it is not a bad idea to get that clock started.  Filing the N400 may or may not impact the I751 processing since the N400 and I751 is processed at different locations.  There are stories on both sides, probably related to the local field offices workload.  I know in my wife's case, filing the N400 did not hurt, and may have sped up the I751 by maybe a month, but our field office (Detroit) was pretty fast at processing the N400's in 2018.  She decided to file the N400 since it was her ultimate goal, and looked at the I751 as just a necessary evil.

If you want to truly avoid the potential joint interview, then wait before filing the N400, but what difference does it really make as if you have an I751 interview, you will still need to coordinate with both of your employers, and then when the N400 interview comes up, you will need to coordinate with your employer again.  It seems to me that doing it one time would be preferable.

Ultimately it is up to you, I have my own opinion on the I751 process which is not very favorable, and one can get the stamps necessary to prove LPR status if necessary.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.