mflip

Interview is a few days!

5 posts in this topic

Hi all! 

I have my interview in a few days and will be travelling down the day before. 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the day? 

also, what documents I may need apart from my DS-260?

I have the affidavit, tax returns, birth certificate (mine), her passport copy, my police report, interview confirmation. 

our lawyer said we need evidence such as pictures together etc which we already submitted. (everything was done online and electronically) 

I have also seen some people talk about and APP of their phone that they were asked to show when entering the embassy, can someone elaborate on this, as I have zero clue what they're talking about and don't want to miss anything!!! 

I am so nervous and just hope it goes well! its has been a while in the making and this is the last hoop before the medical (as they didn't have any appointments before my interview) though I am going to call when I get there to see if there is any day of cancellations I can make. 

My wife and I met online and have spent a lot of time together through the years and have been together 5 years, married 3. I love her and her family a lot and just want to make this as smooth as possible. 

any advice is welcome :D

thanks in advance :)  

I had my interview a few months ago at the London Embassy - was very smooth. I took physical copies of any document submitted to the CEAC portal (marriage certificate, birth certificate, passport, copy of my husband’s green card (we’re F2A not IR1 but the process at the embassy is the same), ds-260, ACRO certificate, affidavit of support, tax returns (we took 2019 and 2020 because it was so long in between submitting and getting the interview) etc. We also received an RFE at the beginning of the process so we uploaded all of that and took physical copies of everything there too (photos of the wedding, wedding invitations, photos of us over the years, joint account statements, my husband’s will stating myself as the beneficiary etc). You will need to take a print out of your appt email. Literally everything you could think of, I took in a very organised file.

I was only asked for the originals of the marriage certificate, birth certificate and ACRO certificate, then one passport photo and my passport (which they kept). I was in and out of the embassy in about 20 minutes.

In regards to the app, it’s nothing specific, they just want to make sure your phone is real. They’ll ask you to unlock your phone in front of them and open any app to show it’s a functional phone. This is at the doors of the embassy. 

If you haven’t yet had your medical, you will get a 221g refusal on your visa - if everything at the interview is good, they will keep your passport pending receiving the medical. You’ll get a piece of green (if I remember correctly) paper which states that you have been refused. Don’t panic, as soon as they receive the medical (assuming there are no issues on the medical) they will process your visa. Keep an eye on the online status page - it’ll show Administrative Processing when they receive the medical, then Issued once it’s been printed.

Good luck!

Hey! I never got the chance to reply but thank you! This was a great help, and helped calm some of my nerves! 

had it today and now waiting for my flight home, and I was APPROVED! 

Ahh! I’m so happy! :) 

thought you all deserved an update, thank you again! 

here’s hoping the rest is smooth sailing and the medical will go well :) 

2 hours ago, mflip said:

Hey! I never got the chance to reply but thank you! This was a great help, and helped calm some of my nerves! 

had it today and now waiting for my flight home, and I was APPROVED! 

Ahh! I’m so happy! :) 

thought you all deserved an update, thank you again! 

here’s hoping the rest is smooth sailing and the medical will go well :) 

How do you get approved without the medical?

2 hours ago, Oleg92 said:

How do you get approved without the medical?

The lady said "I am approving the visa, just make sure you get the medical soon!" 

So technically not fully approved yet, because of the medical, but otherwise good to go. they kept my passport etc. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.