kxp

Questions - Filing Fee, & Recent Divorce

2 posts in this topic

Hi all!  I'll start off with the easy question -

1) The guide says check or money order, but it looks like Credit Card form G-1450 is also available if I place it on top of my 1-129f application.  Is that correct, have other people paid this way?  I know the fee is $535, but do I need to include any extra approved amount to cover debit/credit card transaction fees?  I couldn't find anything clear online for USCIS, but I know some government services pass that charge along to the citizen.

2) My ex-spouse and I agreed to divorce nearly two years ago, however the divorce was just approved by the judge on 3/4/22.  I know that this can be seen as a "red flag".  I retained an attorney in 12/2020, and moved out of my previous house when I bought a home in 9/2021.  I could provide evidence in the form of my attorney's client relationship agreement to show intent, even though the divorce took some time to settle and process.  The forms were filed with the court in December, but my previous state (TN) requires a 60-day waiting period before a court date can be set. The reasons for delayed filing were due to my goal of finding a house (not apartment) and including such division in our divorce agreement, and secondly my ex lost their job, and requested a short delay while they found alternative health insurance.  Ultimately, my question is, should I include these details in my cover letter?  Will it make a difference if I include such a statement, or will they not read it?  Or does it not matter and they will still view it negatively?

3) Additionally, we just had our first and only meeting.  My fiancee applied to visit the US back in October (the month that Malaysia allowed its citizens to resume international travel), but was denied a tourist visa in December.  We then planned in January and met this month in Cambodia, because Malaysia's borders were still closed to foreign national tourists.  This was ultimately the delay for our meeting, else I would have gone to see her there much sooner.  I did explain a bit of this in my letter, but I could probably go into more detail including dates and such.  Will this also help any "red flag" related to our only meeting once?  We intend to meet again this year now that Malaysia is reopening their borders to foreigners starting April 1; my trip is planned for around August/September.  This would occur after filing, but before her interview most likely.  Would this help, or will they reject the petition before she gets to the interview?

Thanks for your patience, guidance, and support.  

1) Yes, I paid via credit card with form G-1450. No need for additional fees. Ask your fiance/fiancee to pay using his/her US credit card. If you use your Malaysian card, they will just charge it in US dollars.

2) I can't advise you on this as I know nothing about divorce, someone in this forum may be able to help.

3) As long as you met once. You can explain what happened. I met my fiance in Dec 2019 before Malaysia's borders closed and never saw him later in 1 1/2 years. They didn't ask me questions about it during the interview, but providing evidence during submission will help. The Malaysian embassy is aware of Malaysia' tough lockdown - I was at the embassy myself and told them how strict immigration was in letting me out (I had the visa but got rejected to leave at that time) and had to request additional documents from them at that them to allow me to leave.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.