mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. It sounds like you understand the culture quite well. My son found reading the book "Thai Fever" helpful, even though he'd spent nearly three years in Thailand, and well over a year with the very the special young lady who is now his wife. Sometimes I hear the "on-off" thing too, which is really confusing, but mostly it's ambivalence about where they are going to live. Leaving one's family and country must be really hard. I try to put myself in her mother's shoes: "Would I want my only daughter, and perhaps my grandchildren in the future, living on the other side of the world in a different culture?" I have to admit that the answer would 'no'! Of course, I would want what would be best for the kids, but my feelings probably wouldn't change. I have wondered how she is going to transition from talking to her mother on the phone four times a day to living here. We don't have much sticky rice and it is hard to find sliced strawberries with salt on them. Then there's the weather. I noticed when we were over there, she would order a Thai breakfast and then eat half of his western breakfast! I expect more ambivalence in the future.

I hope it all works out for you.

Thai Mom (or is that American Mom?)

Hey guys, it looks like I may be calling off the K1 visa. We're at the packet 3 stage and my lady appears to be having cold feet. I'm having a heck of time understanding what's going on, everything was great up until I told her the petition was approved and I needed some more info so we could submit the packet 3 and schedule her interview. She'd already gotten her vaccinations in advance, and had been asking me all sorts of questions about coming to the US. I'm now getting hit with the typical Thai "face saving" situation where she keeps promising to email me the information "tomorrow" or "by Friday" and then doesn't. This has gone on for the past 3 weeks or so, and now she's having "phone problems".

I'm not sure what else to do. I'd thought about having one of my Thai friends go visit her at the salon and see if they could help interpret whats going on for me (What's the cause of the cold feet; worries about leaving her mom, fear of leaving her only home, another man?). However I've only two other Thai friends, one is in the UK on business for the next 5 months, and the other one is in Prae and can't make the long trip to Patong in Phuket. My friend is Prae has declined calling her on the grounds that she needs to see my girl in person when talking to read the "signs" that Thai's need to decipher when she is being open and when she is saving face.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm deeply hurt by this and need a place to vent. Everyone in my home life thinks I'm crazy for falling in love with a Thai girl, and venting to them will just get me a bunch of "I told you so" comments.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

A question concerning the documents that are taken to the embassy interview. I sent a complete copy of the I-129F packet the exact way that I filed it. The financial information I sent to my fiancée pretty much in the same format that I filed I-129F. They are in a tabbed file folder attached to the top of the folder via two-hole punched.

My fiancée read on her forum that the embassy will not accept papers with holes in them and she will have to remove them from the file folder. What type of experience do you guys have with the paperwork requirements? Are the holes going to be a problem?

Cheers,

Alvin

My son found reading the book "Thai Fever" helpful

I read this book and found it very informative. After reading this then asked questions that my fiancee never brought to my attention. Very important information that needed to be known.

Good luck Shawndoc...Hope things can work our for you.

“A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy.”

~George Jean Nathan~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
hey so my fiance just went and got her damn medical done, and she said she paid 9000 f^^^^^^ baht. There was one shot 5,333 baht. The name of it is

Has anyone ever heard of this damn shot? She went with the lawyer and the lawyer said this shot is legit I guess. Damn that's annoying.

This is probably the HPV shot. New legislation pushed through by a texas senator on the take by Merck who claims this shot prevents cervical cancer. It is now required for femal immigrants between the ages of 16(?) - 26 years of age. HPV stands for human papiloma virus. sp? It is total bullshit as the efficacy has yet to be proven and some sever side effects have cropped up.

Timeline

Sawadeeeekruuuuuup!

Hey my fiancee only got a few documents back when she left her interview. I really hoped I would get all that documentation back i.e. tax forms. investment statements etc. but she only got back the copy of my passport and phone records. She did say the package she got back to take when she enters the country is huge!!! I will be in BK in two weeks to bring her stateside. Should I call the embassy to enquire about this or can somebody shed some light on this for me?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

you won't get it back. It is in the packet she is bringing with her.

Be sure not to open the packet she will give to immigration at her POE.

Removing Conditions

11/26/07 Mailed I-751

03/27/08 10 year green card approved

N-400

12/01/08 Mailed

12/24/08 check cashed

12/23/08 Noa-1

01/14/09 Biometrics

03/20/09 Interview

05/05/09 Oath

Filed: Timeline
hey so my fiance just went and got her damn medical done, and she said she paid 9000 f^^^^^^ baht. There was one shot 5,333 baht. The name of it is

Has anyone ever heard of this damn shot? She went with the lawyer and the lawyer said this shot is legit I guess. Damn that's annoying.

This is probably the HPV shot. New legislation pushed through by a texas senator on the take by Merck who claims this shot prevents cervical cancer. It is now required for femal immigrants between the ages of 16(?) - 26 years of age. HPV stands for human papiloma virus. sp? It is total bullshit as the efficacy has yet to be proven and some sever side effects have cropped up.

Hey thanks, yea youre right. Total bull sh**if you ask me too, they are basically using our fiances as their damn guinea pigs. That texas senator needs to be punched in the face, that's unreal. Expensive as hell too.

Timeline
Sawadeeeekruuuuuup!

Hey my fiancee only got a few documents back when she left her interview. I really hoped I would get all that documentation back i.e. tax forms. investment statements etc. but she only got back the copy of my passport and phone records. She did say the package she got back to take when she enters the country is huge!!! I will be in BK in two weeks to bring her stateside. Should I call the embassy to enquire about this or can somebody shed some light on this for me?

congratulations on the visa!

fyi - it is very important that you bring her birth certificate with you to the states. get it translated while in bangkok too. AND make sure that it is translated correctly. heck ... you need to make sure that the information on the thai birth certificate is correct as well.

you will need the birth certificate for adjustment of status ...

good luck

dvd

Timeline

Hey thanks, yea youre right. Total bull sh**if you ask me too, they are basically using our fiances as their damn guinea pigs. That texas senator needs to be punched in the face, that's unreal. Expensive as hell too.

I hate to rain on your parade twice in one day but your fiancee only received one of three shots required. She will need to get the next one in eight weeks and the final one six months after the second. My "lawyer" didn't know anything about the HPV shot. Also I found out from the CDC website that your fiancee does not have to complete all three shots to enter the country but she will have to in order to adjust status. I assumed the vaccination would be cheaper at Bumrungrad so had my fiancee get her second shot there.

Timeline
congratulations on the visa!

fyi - it is very important that you bring her birth certificate with you to the states. get it translated while in bangkok too. AND make sure that it is translated correctly. heck ... you need to make sure that the information on the thai birth certificate is correct as well.

you will need the birth certificate for adjustment of status ...

good luck

dvd

Thanks a million for that tidbit of information!!! I never even thought about having it translated. The office in Sai's province lost her birth certificate but gave her some sort of proxy document and she has her family documents as well. I will have to investigate that.

I hate to rain on your parade twice in one day but your fiancee only received one of three shots required. She will need to get the next one in eight weeks and the final one six months after the second. My "lawyer" didn't know anything about the HPV shot. Also I found out from the CDC website that your fiancee does not have to complete all three shots to enter the country but she will have to in order to adjust status. I assumed the vaccination would be cheaper at Bumrungrad so had my fiancee get her second shot there.

hey thanks haha. yea wait, so she got like three shots, but you're saying she has to get the SAME shot THREE TIMES total?! Whaaaat! Well, I mean it's not the cost that's an issue cuz she paid for it not me, but like that is RIDICULOUS.

hey thanks haha. yea wait, so she got like three shots, but you're saying she has to get the SAME shot THREE TIMES total?! Whaaaat! Well, I mean it's not the cost that's an issue cuz she paid for it not me, but like that is RIDICULOUS.

Actually it's pretty standard for certain vaccinations to get a series of shots over a period of three to six months. For example, Hepatitis, Rabies, Japanese encephalitis... Try being a Peace Corps Volunteer here in Thailand. When I first arrived here they gave me about 15 shots in a period of less than six months! But luckily the HPV shot didn't exist then.

2008.03.26 - I-129F Sent from Thailand to VSC via UPS

2008.03.31 - I-129F Received @ VSC, Signed by "Scott"

2008.03.31 - NOA1 Issued

2008.04.02 - Check cashed

2008.04.03 - Touch

2008.04.10 - NOA1 Hard copies received (TWO of them!)

2008.04.22 - Touch

2008.04.23 - Touch

2008.07.07 - Medical (We just can't stand the wait! Need to get something done!!)

2008.07.14 - NOA2 (Received notice by email)

2008.07.16 - NVC Received (Estimated)

2008.07.18 - NVC Sent to Consulate

2008.07.24 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received by mail

2008.xx.xx - Consulate Received (Bangkok)

2008.xx.xx - Packet 3 Received

2008.xx.xx - Packet 3 Sent

2008.xx.xx - Packet 4 Received

2008.xx.xx - Interview Date

2008.xx.xx - Visa Received!!! :)

Timeline

Well everyone Me and Nit survived the trip back and we are settling in now. She was excited on the first flight then quickly got bored with flying :lol: By the time we got to Florida I am pretty sure she never wants to fly again. I got sick as a dog 2 day's after getting home and she got sick 2 days after me so its been a rough week. She is still sick I hate leaving her home to go to work but have no choice. Hopefully she will feel better this weekend and we can actually do something. I cant belive she is finally here....

Good luck to everyone!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

09/01/07 - I-129F Sent

09/11/07 - I-129F NOA1

01/18/08 - I-129F NOA2

01/25/08 - NVC Received

Packet 3 - Never Received

02/07/08 - Packet 3 Sent

03/06/08 - Packet 4 Received

05/02/08 - Interview Date !!!!!!!

Passed Interview!!!!!

Visa Received : 05/07/08

US Entry : 05/16/08

Marriage : 07/15/08

AOS package sent : 9/05/08

NOA 1 : 9/11/08

Biometrics : 10/24/08

NOA 2 (sent to CSC!) : 10/27/08

RFE Full Medical : 4/15/09

Fought RFE

RFE #2 Full Medical : 6/09/09

AOS Approval Letter!!!!!! : 10/20/09

Visa Recieved:-) : 10/27/09

Your I-129f was approved in 139 days from your filing date.

Actually it's pretty standard for certain vaccinations to get a series of shots over a period of three to six months. For example, Hepatitis, Rabies, Japanese encephalitis... Try being a Peace Corps Volunteer here in Thailand. When I first arrived here they gave me about 15 shots in a period of less than six months! But luckily the HPV shot didn't exist then.

hey this is weird, so before i posted on here venting about the shot, i emailed the US embassy in BKK and asked them about it. I just got a response from them and they told me that this shot is NOT required by US immigration law.

I am very confused now

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.