mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Does Thailand have birth certificates? My fiance says there is no such thing, only the household registration. I know the household registration an ID card were fine when we got her visa, but I'm looking ahead to naturalization and we'll need an "original" birth certificate. Figure we better find what we need while we're still in Thailand. Anyone have experience with this?

K1 Journey

03/22/07 - Mailed I-129 Application

08/18/07 - Thai Wedding

09/06/07 - Interview Successful!

10/25/07 - P.O.E. San Francisco

11/01/07 - U.S. Wedding

AOS Journey

11/09/07 - Mailed AOS & EAD

12/12/07 - Biometrics

02/04/08 - Transferred to CSC

02/16/08 - EAD Card Received

05/27/08 - Green Card!

Naturalization Journey

08/28/08 - Filed N-400 via Section 319(b)

10/29/08 - NOA

11/20/08 - Biometrics

01/15/09 - Interview

01/29/09 - Oath Ceremony

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmmm....that is interesting that you were able to get your visa without presenting her birth certificate. At our interview (K1), they specifically asked to see the original (we had sent in only copies earlier).

We also had the household registration. That was a distinctly different document from her birth certificate.

When we started gathering all the documents required, my wife also could not find her birth certificate. So she and her mom went to the hospital where she was born to request it. My wife (born in the 60s) told me that the hospital staff eventually led her back to a storage room where they stored documents. She spent most of the next three days in that room going through box after box of documents, but did eventually find it. It even looks similar to our U.S. birth certificates, had a little footprint on it ;) We then had that translated to English.

Peace and Congrats on the Visa!

Mark-N-AAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

feyser,

i recently married my thai fiance who came here on a k1 fiance visa. she was granted a k1 fiance visa even though she never really aquired a 100% correct document (as far as i can tell). i didn't find out about this until just a few days ago. check out yesterday/today's posts on the aos forum.

anyway ... was your wife born in a hospital? if so, they should have it. if not i believe she must go to the amphur in her birth town. they should have a record of it. if not, your fiance will have to gather some witnesses together, take them to the local amphur, and they will make a birth certificate for you.

make sure they include the important information on it. hopefully, it will have the words birth certificate. the names of her mother and father. the date she was born.

hope this helps you some.

i don't really have a full answer for you, but make sure you come to the states with a good original birth certificate and make sure you get it translated to english!!

make sure you read the english translation just to make sure that it has the proper info.

i'm currently ready to file for aos/ap/ead; but ran into this bc snafu two days ago. do not come to the states without it!!

choke dee

dvd

Timeline

Update on birth certificates FYI. My wife and her parents said they've never had a birth certificate, only the house registration book. Her father went to the Amphur city hall building in the region she was born and he was able to get a copy of a document that says she was born there, but they wouldn't give him an original copy. The only reason we did this is because we are going through the naturalization process in the future and it supposedly requires an original birth certificate. If you are getting your K1 visa, don't be confused by this post. All you need is your fiance's National ID Card and original House Registration book instead of birth certificate.

K1 Journey

03/22/07 - Mailed I-129 Application

08/18/07 - Thai Wedding

09/06/07 - Interview Successful!

10/25/07 - P.O.E. San Francisco

11/01/07 - U.S. Wedding

AOS Journey

11/09/07 - Mailed AOS & EAD

12/12/07 - Biometrics

02/04/08 - Transferred to CSC

02/16/08 - EAD Card Received

05/27/08 - Green Card!

Naturalization Journey

08/28/08 - Filed N-400 via Section 319(b)

10/29/08 - NOA

11/20/08 - Biometrics

01/15/09 - Interview

01/29/09 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Hi ka , just join here now im waitting for NOA2 ,taking so long so bored is 123 days now grrr

nice to meet u all

Welcome!

Gene & Ying

12/23/04 - I-129F petition mailed to NSC

4/28/05 Interview for Visa in Bangkok-Visa Approved!!!!

5/2/05 Arrive in USA together! POE Minneapolis

5/25/05 - MARRIED!!

6/9/05 - Sent in AOS

7/8/05 - Biometrics for AOS complete in Milwaukee(walk-in)

11/16/05 Interview in Milwaukee - AOS APPROVED!!

9/17/07 Mailed in I-751 to NSC

10/15/07 Received NOA - Case transferred to California

12/27/07 E-mail stating that new card is ordered

12/31/07 10 year Green Card received! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8/22/08 Sent in N-400 for naturalization

11/19/08 Passed the interview

1/12/09 Received letter about oath ceremony

1/29/09 Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!

1/29/09 Changed status at Social Security office, applied for US Passport

Timeline
Update on birth certificates FYI. My wife and her parents said they've never had a birth certificate, only the house registration book. Her father went to the Amphur city hall building in the region she was born and he was able to get a copy of a document that says she was born there, but they wouldn't give him an original copy. The only reason we did this is because we are going through the naturalization process in the future and it supposedly requires an original birth certificate. If you are getting your K1 visa, don't be confused by this post. All you need is your fiance's National ID Card and original House Registration book instead of birth certificate.

fyser,

you can have a birth certificate produced even if none was ever made in the first place. maybe the document you have is a birth certificate, but if it's not ... if i were you ... i'd get it done while in thailand. i'm going through your situation from the states and it hasn't been a lot of fun. parents scrambling around rural thailand, incomplete english translations having to be re-done, communication gaps, ... etc. today, i just received faxed copies of the birth certificates (english/thai) and now we now have to wait with our fingers crossed that the "originals" arrive in the mail safely. originals being the copy with the red stamp!

a fiance of a friend of mine never had a birth certificate and she was able to have one made at the amphur. she had to take her parents and take her school records there to have it made. it may be different at each amphur.

i read her birth certificate. the english translation has the words birth certificate. it includes her birth date. it has where she was born. it has her parent's names.

my wife's first "birth certificate", produced back in january, for the k1 interview, only addressed the issue of where she was born. it did not have the words birth certificate, the date of birth, or parent's names. (i just snapped to this fact a week ago). i don't think that's good enough for aos, ead, and ap. so... we're in the process of getting the proper documents sent here.

i hope this helps you in your journey.

good luck and congratulations on being approved for your visa

dvd

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey everyone, I just want to say thanks for all the help I recieved here, though I was here briefly and may not be remembered. I have to update my Sig, but at the moment I am sitting here in the US and my Wife is sleeping in the next room. She was granted a B1 visa and tomorrow we are able to have our second wedding recetpion so that everyone can join in, since only my mother could make it to the wedding in March.

Now my wife and I are looking at moving to the US for good and eventually naturalizing her. So naturally I have some questions.

She has a b1 visa now, can she apply from within the US for her K3?

If yes, what are the rules, can she leave the US during this time to visit family?

If we apply in Nov for her K3 and it is given on the first attempt, am I right to assume about 8-10 months for the process?

Thanks a lot guys!

and gals too!

Met at work May 2006

Began dating 7/17/2006

Denied tourist visa 8/23/06

proposed 11/6/06 (Loy Krathong)

Wedding 3/31/07

Obtained B2 05/2007

Visited America Oct 2007

Send in AOS packet Feb 2009

Interview August 5th 2009

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks - I havent posted in a while, but wanted to let those of you who are keeping score at home know that we received our NOA2. NOA1 was on 6/13/07 and NOA2 on 10/18/07 - 140 days according to our visajourney timeline. I hope others who submitted their visa apps in the same time frame are also receiving their NOA2s and moving forward.

- Rich

Timeline
Hi folks - I havent posted in a while, but wanted to let those of you who are keeping score at home know that we received our NOA2. NOA1 was on 6/13/07 and NOA2 on 10/18/07 - 140 days according to our visajourney timeline. I hope others who submitted their visa apps in the same time frame are also receiving their NOA2s and moving forward.

- Rich

Hey Rich, got my NOA2 on October 22. Hopefully our petition will get to NVC sooner than the 6 weeks many people are reporting right now. Who knows when the time comes, maybe we will have our interview on the same day in BKK. Stay in touch.

Gary

Edited by afterforever

Timeline

Nice to see some of the Senior member "regulars" still checking in from time to time. I see that Sawasdee is still going strong.

All is well here in NC!

C.J.

Wow that is amazing for only $10. How is the call quality? Gene long time since I have seen you on here! Of coarse I haven't been on here either.

Dan

Hi Dan,

It's great to see that everything is going well for you and your wife. Monday we'll be sending in the paper work to remove conditions on Ying's green card.

we've used Vonage for several years and the call quality has been very good. Ying tells me that the calls to Thailand sound the same.

Have you two been back to Thailand yet? We try to get back once a year for vacation. Last year Ying got back twice. She came with me during 1 of my trips for work. We already have tickets to return next March for a couple of weeks.

Jul. 22, 04-Jum and I met in Thailand.

Jul. 21, 05-I-129F arrives at TSC

Aug. 23, 05-NOA1 Notice Date

Aug. 27, 05-NOA1 arrives in mail

Oct. 13, 05-NOA2 confirmed by email

Oct. 18, 05-NOA2 received in mail

Oct. 24, 05-NVC letter received

Nov. 18, 05-Packet 3 received

Dec. 15, 05-Police Record/Medical/Interview Assigned

Feb. 5, 06-C.J.& Jum together in Thailand

Feb. 7, 06-Interview Day-APPROVED! (6 1/2 months)

Feb. 11, 06-Engagement Ceremony

May 8, 06-POE JFK, Temp. EAD Received

May 18, 06-Apply for SS#, Jun. 18, 06-Receive SS Card

Jul. 3, 06-Married!

AOS Journey

Aug. 10, 06-AOS Package Sent

Aug. 18, 06-AOS, AP, EAD Receipt Notice Date

Aug. 28, 06-Received AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

Aug. 28, 06-I-485 transfer to CSC

Sep. 13, 06-CSC received AOS

Sep. 14, 06-AOS/EAD Biometrics

Sep. 15, 06-AOS Touched #1

Sep. 26, 06-AOS Touched #2

Sep. 27, 06-AOS Touched #3

Sep. 28, 06-Email notice of Welcome Letter mailed! (AOS Day 40)

Oct. 2, 06-Welcome letter received

Oct. 3, 06-Email notification of approval notice mailed.

Oct. 5, 06-Green card received.

Oct. 7, 06-NC Driver License Received

I-751 Timeline

Sep. 8, 08-I-751 Arrives at VSC

Sep. 11, 08-I-751 NOA1 Received

Nov. 14, 08-Biometrics Appointment

EVERYTHING APPROVED at the end of Dec. 2008, finally.

Jul 10, 11-Citizenship application submitted.

Feb. 16, 12-CITIZENSHIP GRANTED!

Timeline

You should still have time to save up. There are fees for everything.

C.J.

Still checking in.. I just took a look at the form to remove conditions for Dao. Ouch $545 now!

Jul. 22, 04-Jum and I met in Thailand.

Jul. 21, 05-I-129F arrives at TSC

Aug. 23, 05-NOA1 Notice Date

Aug. 27, 05-NOA1 arrives in mail

Oct. 13, 05-NOA2 confirmed by email

Oct. 18, 05-NOA2 received in mail

Oct. 24, 05-NVC letter received

Nov. 18, 05-Packet 3 received

Dec. 15, 05-Police Record/Medical/Interview Assigned

Feb. 5, 06-C.J.& Jum together in Thailand

Feb. 7, 06-Interview Day-APPROVED! (6 1/2 months)

Feb. 11, 06-Engagement Ceremony

May 8, 06-POE JFK, Temp. EAD Received

May 18, 06-Apply for SS#, Jun. 18, 06-Receive SS Card

Jul. 3, 06-Married!

AOS Journey

Aug. 10, 06-AOS Package Sent

Aug. 18, 06-AOS, AP, EAD Receipt Notice Date

Aug. 28, 06-Received AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

Aug. 28, 06-I-485 transfer to CSC

Sep. 13, 06-CSC received AOS

Sep. 14, 06-AOS/EAD Biometrics

Sep. 15, 06-AOS Touched #1

Sep. 26, 06-AOS Touched #2

Sep. 27, 06-AOS Touched #3

Sep. 28, 06-Email notice of Welcome Letter mailed! (AOS Day 40)

Oct. 2, 06-Welcome letter received

Oct. 3, 06-Email notification of approval notice mailed.

Oct. 5, 06-Green card received.

Oct. 7, 06-NC Driver License Received

I-751 Timeline

Sep. 8, 08-I-751 Arrives at VSC

Sep. 11, 08-I-751 NOA1 Received

Nov. 14, 08-Biometrics Appointment

EVERYTHING APPROVED at the end of Dec. 2008, finally.

Jul 10, 11-Citizenship application submitted.

Feb. 16, 12-CITIZENSHIP GRANTED!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Can anyone tell me how to find out if you petition has reached the embassy in Thailand? I know you can email them but is there a phone number to call? NVC told me today that my petition should be enroute to BKK tomorrow.

Edited by afterforever

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

should be a bunch of us filing our I-751's soon. We are sending ours out next week.

Removing Conditions

11/26/07 Mailed I-751

03/27/08 10 year green card approved

N-400

12/01/08 Mailed

12/24/08 check cashed

12/23/08 Noa-1

01/14/09 Biometrics

03/20/09 Interview

05/05/09 Oath

Can anyone tell me how to find out if you petition has reached the embassy in Thailand? I know you can email them but is there a phone number to call? NVC told me today that my petition should be enroute to BKK tomorrow.

I don't remember if there was a number...but then again I don't remember most things! :whistle:

I do remember that once I had my BNK#, if I emailed them they were very very quick to reply. Actually, when I was there for the interview, I showed them one of the emails that I had received from them. They read it and called the person who replied to it to get some more information (no big deal). When the lady came to the interview booth, the CO introduced us and explained that this one Thai lady answered ALL email regarding case statuses! I thought she must be very busy <haha>...but did a good job.

Peace,

MK

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.