Moroccan Health Question

57 posts in this topic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
But don't get me started on Moroccans and their obsession with avoiding coldness of any sort (cold feet, taking too many baths, sleeping with two thick blankets in the summer, cold bones, etc.). It's basically the cause of every known human illness! ;)

Maybe we've got it wrong. It's the same thing in Italy - must avoid all that bad air (ie. any open window), flip-flops in May - oh the horror!

But don't get me started on Moroccans and their obsession with avoiding coldness of any sort (cold feet, taking too many baths, sleeping with two thick blankets in the summer, cold bones, etc.). It's basically the cause of every known human illness! ;)

Maybe we've got it wrong. It's the same thing in Italy - must avoid all that bad air (ie. any open window), flip-flops in May - oh the horror!

flip flops should be avoided everyplace except the bathroom :P

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

From certain medical standpoints, yes, it's not the best idea for your health. Room temp and warm beverages are much better for your digestion. From studying oriental medicine for a few years, this is a big no-no for them. I highly doubt your healthcare provider would care one way or the other, but ask a DOM (Doctor of Oriental Medicine) and they will tell you to stay away from colder beverages and treats (ice cream, frozen yogurt, etc).

Most of the time, I follow this, but in 110degree weather, I'm digging some chilled water. Normally, I drink room temp tho.

yes I totaly agree with you.also, growing up I remmember my gramma and mom make me wear shoes and explained that the cold coming thru the ceramic tiles cause romatism (I am not sure what you call it in english). they always told me that you just wait when you get older you will soufer for walking bear feet. :P

this was my experience growing up :yes:

I just started cracking up by reading the subject of this post - I didn't even have to read on to know what you were gonna say! Yes, I've encountered this theory many times. According to a Moroccan doctor, it was also the cause of my allergies while there!

The main thing I've heard though is you shouldn't drink cold water when you're very hot, like you've been outside in the sun or something like that.

It's so funny that this thread was started today, and my husband's little brother saw me drinking some water that I had put into the freezer and he told me "No!Nicole, dah wawa!" Translation: in his Arabic, wawa= wag3ak= hurt you!!!

Also, my MIL blames every sickness, sneeze, cough, etc. on the cold air. If you sleep under the window, if you use the fan, if you sleep with the A/C on, if you don't tuck your shirt into your pants while you sleep, if you kick the covers off during the night, if you walk around without shibshib you will be sick!

Along those same lines, she believes that drinking cinnamon in milk will aleviate menstrual cramps. It might, I don't know. I drank it, but didn't notice a difference. She thinks that dogs' saliva causes trouble during pregnancy. Going outside with wet hair (even in 100 degree weather) or sleeping with wet hair will make you sick.

There are a lot of those health related beliefs in MENA countries. I know there are more, but I can't think of any.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
It's so funny that this thread was started today, and my husband's little brother saw me drinking some water that I had put into the freezer and he told me "No!Nicole, dah wawa!" Translation: in his Arabic, wawa= wag3ak= hurt you!!!

Also, my MIL blames every sickness, sneeze, cough, etc. on the cold air. If you sleep under the window, if you use the fan, if you sleep with the A/C on, if you don't tuck your shirt into your pants while you sleep, if you kick the covers off during the night, if you walk around without shibshib you will be sick!

Along those same lines, she believes that drinking cinnamon in milk will aleviate menstrual cramps. It might, I don't know. I drank it, but didn't notice a difference. She thinks that dogs' saliva causes trouble during pregnancy. Going outside with wet hair (even in 100 degree weather) or sleeping with wet hair will make you sick.

There are a lot of those health related beliefs in MENA countries. I know there are more, but I can't think of any.

I can't believe I forgot about the wet hair thing! I've been scolded countless times for walking around with wet hair after showering! And the no a/c while sleeping thing is driving me crazy! We live in Texas, and I'm pregnant! That's just torture! (except since he's been out of town, I've cranked that bad boy up!!)

timeline doesn't matter.

Yeah. Those things definitely get embedded in the sons' heads. My husband sounds like her MiniMe repeating all of the things that she says! It's so cute. I have tried to show him online that colds are cause by germs. It does no good.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm just curious...but do your SO's always say...

We knew so and so that died from going to be with wet hair, or so and so that used to live around the corner had a cousin who died from a dog licking his hand.

My husband sees to know half a country of people that have died from some of the most bizarre things I have ever heard of. I'll tell him that's just crazy and that I've never heard of anyone dying of that, but he insists that it's so.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It always seems weird in Morocco when people die that no one really knows why, and they never find out what happened. Hicham told me about his friend's Mom dying and I asked what happened and he said "she ate something that was in the microwave for too long". I just say, "oh that's too bad" even though that sounds like the most ridiculous reason ever. Do people go to the emergency room there? Everytime someone passes away that I have heard in Morocco it's in their home, and the family doesn't ever really find out how they died. Oh well.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband won't eat/drink something hot and then something cold. He does say it has to do with the stomach being hotter than what is going into it. It gives him an upset stomach if he does that. I was also advised to stay away from the fan when I was sick in Morocco last July and reprimanded if I walked on the tile barefoot, especially last December. I think it's all down to sudden contrast in temperature. It's not so different from being told to wear a jacket or stay out of the rain to avoid catching a cold. The rain or cold temperatures obviously don't carry viruses themselves, but they can weaken the immune system enough to let a virus that's already in the body take hold.

However, my husband will freeze his brain and esophagus with a Sonic slush, wait out the pain, and then do it again. Sonic trumps the "no cold" rule.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
oh and a spoonful of cumin fixes everything! LOL

OMG Yes!! My dear MIL gave me a saucer of dry cumin and a spoon for my upset stomach. She also tied a scarf really tight around my middle and massaged the "web" between my thumb and forefinger. All of that helped.

I returned with a taste for cumin, especially on hard boiled eggs.

I'm the USC.

Timeline
From certain medical standpoints, yes, it's not the best idea for your health. Room temp and warm beverages are much better for your digestion. From studying oriental medicine for a few years, this is a big no-no for them. I highly doubt your healthcare provider would care one way or the other, but ask a DOM (Doctor of Oriental Medicine) and they will tell you to stay away from colder beverages and treats (ice cream, frozen yogurt, etc).

Most of the time, I follow this, but in 110degree weather, I'm digging some chilled water. Normally, I drink room temp tho.

yes I totaly agree with you.also, growing up I remmember my gramma and mom make me wear shoes and explained that the cold coming thru the ceramic tiles cause romatism (I am not sure what you call it in english). they always told me that you just wait when you get older you will soufer for walking bear feet. :P

this was my experience growing up :yes:

My husband told me even if it doesn't have an immediate effect, it will give a person arthritis later in life.

I'm the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was scolded countless times in Egypt for walking around barefoot or wearing a thin black jacket when I went out--my fiance was always trying to get me to wear a winter coat because "it's cold and you'll get a stomach cold". I told him that it was 80° and I'm used to the cold. But on the day we went to the Pyramids, he wore 3 shirts and a winter coat.

I remember when we were in high school his parents would have the heat in the car on full blast all year round...unless it was already 90° out.

When I originally was planning to go to Egypt for a month in 2002, I spent the entire summer of 2001 in my house without the AC on to "get used to the heat" (my mom was ready to killllll me when she would get home from work and the house was like 100°). I would just sit there and sweat alll day, but you'll never hear me complaining it's too hot! lol I actually don't like AC, it makes me sneeze :P

Divorced. To hell with him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
It always seems weird in Morocco when people die that no one really knows why, and they never find out what happened. Hicham told me about his friend's Mom dying and I asked what happened and he said "she ate something that was in the microwave for too long". I just say, "oh that's too bad" even though that sounds like the most ridiculous reason ever. Do people go to the emergency room there? Everytime someone passes away that I have heard in Morocco it's in their home, and the family doesn't ever really find out how they died. Oh well.

Well when I was there Mohammeds mom got real sick and they took her to the "er" we came from our house to meet the family there and seeing what I saw.... I can understand why people do not go... it was horrible. No wonder they are trying all of these things to stay out of there lol. They told me all of these things too, freaking out becuase I refused to wear the sandals...finally they bought me socks, I gave in and wore them so they wouldnt all have heart attacks!! They kept coke for me because I cant drink tea(makes me an outcast in the south) but like half an hour before meals they sat it out to warm, the first time I asked for ice and had his 3 brothers 2 sisters and mom looking at me like I had 2 heads...I gave up!!!

capture1-1.jpg

Picture114-1.jpg

Our Timeline

Sent I-129 f to csc on Dec 23,2006

Received Dec 26th

NOA1 Jan 3,2007

Check cashed Jan 5,2007

Touched Jan 13,2007

Touched May 15,2007

Touched July 17,2007

Touched July 18,2007

Touched July 20,2007

Touched July 22,2007

Touched Aug 12,2007

Touched Aug 13,2007

Touched Aug 14,2007

Touched Aug 15,2007

Touched Aug 22,2007

NOA2!!! Oct 31,2007

Case forwarded to Casa Nov 19, 2007

Interview Feb 6.2008

APPROVAL!!!

AP......now we wait

11-08-08 arrived in Atlanta

11-20-08 MARRIED!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.